Advanced search

E.R. fans, the whole lot on all 4

(189 Posts)
blamethecat Thu 19-Sep-19 18:23:13

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-09-18/er-streaming-all4/
grin

ItsNovemberNotChristmas Mon 02-Dec-19 13:18:16

Bosnia episodes??

Did not like Abby, both Luca and Carter were miserable with her and she expected Carter to get with her as soon as she split from Luca. Glad he didn't at first, although the pairing with Susan wasn't right

TakeYourCanvasBags Tue 03-Dec-19 10:10:33

I'm on season 8 now. There are some scenes/episodes that I remember like they were yesterday and others that I seem to have blocked from my memory altogether.

The storyline with Elizabeth's patients dying from sepsis and the criminal investigation into her involvement in this is one that I just can;t recall and I'm really eager to see how it all plays out (obviously I know Elizabeth doesn't go to jail or anything like that and I have an inkling about what is actually happening but it feels like this is a completely new storyline to me. I do wonder if my younger self (I would have been 21 when this season was originally shown) didn't pay as much attention to Elizabeth's storylines at that point - I wouldn't have been able to relate whereas now I'm finding the way she is struggling to cope with being a working mother, exceptionally well portrayed.

I remember saying something similar on a previous ER thread, about Susan Lewis in the early seasons - the way she was pretty much overlooked careerwise as soon as she decided to be a mother to Little Susie definitely spoke more to me now than it did as a teenager. It's a shame, therefore that Elizabeth is so hostile to Susan in this season - they could definitely be allies.

Carter, Luca and Abby are all behaving horribly. Not a redeeming feature among them. Again, in my younger years I was probably blinded by my lust for both Carter and Luca that I just didn't see them behaving like the spoiled brats they are.

We're definitely getting to the point where I started tailing off my obsessive viewing although I'm determined to watch the lot this time around. A big reason for me losing interest back then was the fact that it pretty much became the Abby show. I did have to laugh when Susan returned a few episodes ago and called Abby "nurse" - she turned around with a look of amusement and indigence and did the whole "are you talking to me?" thing, while Carter swooped in to explain that Abby isn't just a nurse, she is special and must be treated with respect. Such a ridiculous piece of writing and it really jarred for me - I'm sure Susan and Abby could have been introduced to each other in another way without the writers resorting to "bow down to Abby" mode, and nobody would have batted an eyelid of Susan had refereed to any other bit-part nurse in that way.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:40:32

I am a bit incredulous that they all manage to stay on such friendly terms with their exes AND continue to work together in relative harmony.

I have just finished series 12 and the further through it I go the fewer episodes I remember. Quite enjoying focusing more on Neela and her love interests this time around. Hadn't quite appreciated that she and Ray always had a simmering attraction.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:49:36

An aside but has anyone read that Goran Visnjic is planning on moving to the UK!?!

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:51:38

Oh and he's going to be in Dr Who!

bobkate Fri 06-Dec-19 18:48:24

Has anyone else got season 13 yet?

bobkate Fri 06-Dec-19 21:01:22

It's appeared...phew!

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Sun 08-Dec-19 07:54:06

I am definitely seeing this season for the very first time. Loving the love triangle twixt Neela, Gates and Ray.

Ontheboardwalk Mon 09-Dec-19 00:12:57

Just re watched the fabulous stabbing episodes again. Top notch heartbreaking tv.

I’m with Frank tho. Out of all of them I want Romano doing any surgery I need

TakeYourCanvasBags Mon 09-Dec-19 10:57:17

I'm at that point of season 8 now. Just watched Orion in the Sky with a huge lump in my throat and then utterly dissolved when Mark said the "You set the tone" line to Carter. Next up is the really dull (as I recall) episode with Susan searching for Chloe (crossover with some cop show I've never watched) which I recall seeming really out of place first time around, then The Letter/On the Beach. Not sure I'm strong enough to go through this again...

On another note though, Secrets and Lies remains one of ER's very best hours. I loved the Breakfast Club-vibe back then and enjoyed it even more on re-watch.

Graphista Wed 11-Dec-19 20:15:10

I'm all caught up and effectively treading water until season 14 drops - anyone know what time on Friday they release?

I've gone back to beginning again (halfway through season 2 again) and watching madam secretary too which is nowhere near as good but watchable enough.

I really struggle to find shows I really enjoy and end up watching the same ones over and over.

Mainly friends, charmed and bones but also white collar, timeless (Goran Visnjic in that too love him) and scorpion which is very silly but lots of fun.

I'm also a fan of how to get away with murder on Netflix which a new season just started but I've a new device I'm watching on and I've forgotten the bloody password! CBA to reset when I realised late last night but will do tonight probably.

If anyone has any shows almost as good as ER they would recommend - dramas preferably don't have to be medical (I have greys anatomy on prime list but while I saw first few seasons on terrestrial and enjoyed well enough its no ER) then I'd be very grateful.

It's why my stomach sinks when I finish binge watching something I'm enjoying as I find it so difficult to find stuff I like.

New shows, mainly ones made in 2010's I really don't rate as high quality - but maybe that's an age thing? Who knows

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Fri 13-Dec-19 07:58:56

@Graphista season 14 is already up! I couldn't sleep last night so was watching season 13 episode 20 at 1am. Yawn.

Afraid I'm not really any help with suggestions for binge-watching, other than The Bridge which I watched last year. It's a bit grim though. Not ideal pre-Christmas viewing.

Allmyfavouritepeople Fri 13-Dec-19 08:14:37

On my second rewatch of the show so I started at season 4. Currently on season 7 which I remember like I watched it last week. So much of the social commentary seems excatly the same as now. However the episode with the lesbian couple who don't have next of kin rights and the preemie baby who lasts 9 hours before dying are both things that have changed for the better.

Not looking forward to the war episodes or the Thandi Newton story line.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:31:00

So much of the social commentary seems exactly the same as now. I totally agree. It has stood the test of time remarkably well.

I am now in 'virgin territory' in terms of watching season 13 and 14 episodes for the first time. Think I probably came back to it for the last series but without much of a clue as to the more recent backstories of ongoing cast members.

MurrayTheMonk Fri 13-Dec-19 11:45:42

Oh I love ER. I watched about twenty episodes on my box sets when I was in (a very lengthy) Labour with dd1... good times.
I can still remember the exact episode I was watching when it got too much (for the second time) and we decided to drive to the Hospital. (It was the one where Don Cheadle played the medical student who had Parkinson's and tried to commit suicide by throwing himself under the El train as he'd realised he would never have the steady hand required to do surgery).

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:04:31

the one where Don Cheadle played the medical student who had Parkinson's and tried to commit suicide by throwing himself under the El train as he'd realised he would never have the steady hand required to do surgery).

I think the medical student who committed suicide was earlier on than Don Cheadle's character. The former was one who Carter was friendly with (but didnt entirely support when he needed him most). Don Cheadle's character was later on and was mainly caught up with Corday who ultimately failed him.

MurrayTheMonk Fri 13-Dec-19 12:09:40

Haha. Well maybe I don't remember it very well then!! But anyway whoever the medical student was it was a cracking good story line smile

SarahTancredi Fri 13-Dec-19 12:09:53

I'm on 13 . Anyone else in love with gates grinblush

I went back and re watched some of the more memorable episodes but up to season 8 was repeatedly shown on a loop not that long ago.

And did I mention gates.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:17:59

Dr Gant was the one that committed suicide. Carter was too busy making himself look good to pay proper attention to his friend/colleague's distress. I viewed Carter in a much less rose-tinted light second time of watching around.

SarahTancredi Fri 13-Dec-19 12:21:55

Yy new

First time round I liked him. Second time round he just seemed petty juvenile and controlling.

Treated all the women he dated like crap.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:27:06

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that @SarahTancredi.

Also viewing Sam in a much more favourable light this time around.

SarahTancredi Fri 13-Dec-19 12:33:57

I liked/like sam too. She never seemed to get a break though.

I'd forgotten about the gates dubenko barnett neela love quadrilateral thing. Everyone loved neela grin

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Fri 13-Dec-19 16:29:03

I didn't remember Dubenko much. Certainly had forgotten that he also had a thing for Neela.

Butterfly005 Fri 13-Dec-19 17:45:37

Sam keeps pissing me off! She can get in such a mood with someone and throw a huff with them, for unfair reasons. I like her when she's being nice though!

I like Dubenko a lot, glad I'm getting the opportunity to see more seasons with him in. A welcome change after Romano!

bobkate Fri 13-Dec-19 18:03:31

I'm glad Dubenko has his hair....he was doing this annoying head flicking hair move that was getting a bit irritating.
Does anyone else find Ray's pouting annoying? Forgotten much of season 13....not feeling the love so much with this season.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »