Talk

Advanced search

Please would someone recommend to me a decent period drama? Perhaps something Jane Austen?

(19 Posts)
fallacy Tue 10-Sep-19 12:05:20

I don't know where to start! Thank you

bellinisurge Tue 10-Sep-19 12:06:27

The original Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehrle, is brilliant

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 10-Sep-19 12:14:17

I second that, and would also recommend Persuasion, also BBC, from a few years back. Ciaran Hinds, Amanda Root. My favourite Jane Austen novel, and I felt it did it justice!

I wouldn't bother with Sanditon, currently on ITV. I started watching it but have decided not to continue. Sanditon was an unfinished novel of Jane Austen's and Andrew Davies has taken the few chapters she wrote, which were still in draft form, and turned it into eight hours of Andrew Davies, complete with male nudity, as is his wont. I'd rather stick to the real thing.

Others, all BBC as I recall: Our Mutual Friend, North and South, Vanity Fair, Barchester Chronicles (these are mostly pretty old, as am I).

The recent adaptation of Les Miserables was pretty good. I think that was BBC too. Starred Dominic West.

onemouseplace Tue 10-Sep-19 12:20:43

Cranford is my absolute favourite.

onemouseplace Tue 10-Sep-19 12:22:48

I'm also rather fond of a Mechant Ivory film - think Room with a View (my favourite), Howards End, Remains of the Day.

CuteOrangeElephant Tue 10-Sep-19 12:24:02

North and South on Netflix!
Richard Armitage is in it.

Sparklypen Tue 10-Sep-19 14:02:34

Both recent adaptations of Great Expectations the film and the series were good, if anything I think the series was better.

I should probably watch North and South, for educational purposes.

Sooverthemill Tue 10-Sep-19 14:30:19

The BBC pride and prejudice is still on Iplayer. It's excellent although a bit old. Les Miserables also on IPLAYER Was really good ( I've not seen film or read book), my adult DD really rated Gentleman jack also on Iplayer, Emma is on Netflix ( a bbc production), as is North & south and Daniel deronda. All good stuff imo

Sooverthemill Tue 10-Sep-19 14:31:28

Ooh and the recent bbc war and peace which was very good on Netflix

mogtheexcellent Tue 10-Sep-19 14:35:17

War and peace is also on iplayer. sumptuous sets and costumes.

SchadenfreudePersonified Tue 17-Sep-19 19:42:57

Wives and Daughters - (another Mrs Gaskill one)

The Way We Live Now (Trollope)

Dickensian (on Netflix currently) - I don't like DIskens - I think he's just over-sentimentalised shite - but this takes the characters out of all of the novels and weaves them together an gives them all a backstory. 'Tis very good.

Sense and Sensibility

There was another series similar to Cranford but can I heck think of what it was called . . .

SchadenfreudePersonified Tue 17-Sep-19 19:43:33

*Dickens - not Diskens

Diskens might be very good for all I know

7Worfs Tue 17-Sep-19 19:48:58

The Barretts of Wimpole Street

The Barber of Siberia if interested in Russia

Rhubarb01 Tue 17-Sep-19 19:50:27

I second North and South with Richard Armitage! You can't go wrong.

Persuasion is also my second favourite Jane Austen novel - I prefer the version with Rupert Penry Jones and Sally Hawkins ( The Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root one is good too, but I prefer RPJ blush)

The film of Emma with Gywneth Paltrow is pretty good for a shortish version of long novel and quite good fun.

I watched 'A Room with a View' only a week or so again, it brought back happy memories of the 80's when it first came out and inspired me to visit Florence.

FatherFintanFay Tue 17-Sep-19 20:01:03

There were excellent BBC productions of both Jane Eyre (with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens) and Tess of the D'Urbervilles (with Gemma Arterton and Eddie Redmayne) a few years ago. I don't think they're on Netflix but they might be on Amazon Prime, or else you could go old skool and get DVDs (as I did!)

GorkyMcPorky Tue 17-Sep-19 20:03:11

Bleak House is one of my faves.

Percivalthebabyspider Wed 18-Sep-19 02:04:55

Sense and sensibility or Emma are good and a little more light hearted.

managedmis Wed 18-Sep-19 02:10:18

Little Women is on Netflix

Augend Wed 18-Sep-19 02:13:59

Middlemarch

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »