Talk

Advanced search

The new Jamie Oliver series - bit lame, no?

(32 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Aug-07 09:56:00

Anyone else watch this?
I came away thinking 'well yes Jamie, that's very nice for you with your palatial potting shed and your plethora of heritage tomato varieties and your bearded gardener called Brian, but in the real world most of us don't have these things and you would have to pay a fortune to get that quantity and quality of tomatoes'.
Other than that the recipes did seem quite yummy. But 2kg of quality toms just to make a few drops of consomme.... sorry, no.

Manictigger Wed 08-Aug-07 11:51:44

Did he only talk about tomatoes? Since I think the only good tomato is one smeared on a pizza I'm glad I missed it.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Aug-07 11:53:32

tomato consomme, tomato salad, tomato salsa, tomato pasta sauce, tomato and sausage ragu.
I wonder what it will be next week - mixed salad leaves or something, I expect. Or 'take 3 kg of the highest quality outdoor reared pancetta....'

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 08-Aug-07 11:55:43

is he looking a bit porky, do you think ?

BraceYourselfMavis Wed 08-Aug-07 11:55:53

Or a recipe that required you to "just add a bit of your left over venison".

ledodgy Wed 08-Aug-07 11:55:54

Yes it was very poncey I mean who has an outside hot coal brick oven or whatever it was called? He was very smug.

ledodgy Wed 08-Aug-07 11:56:38

I'm not suprised he's looking a bit porky. I like buffalo mozzerella as much as the next man but he served 3 huge balls on a plate with that tomato salad!

zippitippitoes Wed 08-Aug-07 12:05:45

is this on richard and judy?

not that i watch it of course which is why I'm not sure of the answer

MrsSpoon Wed 08-Aug-07 12:06:54

I liked the look of the tomato salad and felt it could be prepared on a smaller scale for one dish rather than three, agree that three balls of mozzerella is excessive and I did wonder if that was a platter or did he really expect one person to eat three balls of mozzerella, I felt a bit sick at the thought.

Loved the look of the sausage casserole thing.

However the next prog, Cook yourself Thin, or something like that really floated my boat, I hope they produce a book.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Aug-07 12:07:28

He is just rubbing it in that everyone's tomatoes are crap this year [takes out disappointment over tomatoes on Jamie Oliver]

MrsSpoon Wed 08-Aug-07 12:07:35

Oh and of course I'll probably buy Jamie's book too if he has one to accompany this series!

MrsSpoon Wed 08-Aug-07 12:09:07

Actually he made me want a greenhouse but considering I have a postage stamp of a garden it is not going to be a possibility. I do have one tomato plant and I've certainly not had the amount of tomatoes he's had off that little plant he had growing in the tin!

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Aug-07 12:13:39

Yeah, thirty, wasn't it?

I would like a greenhouse too and can't have one but I wonder if I could have some kind of cloche type thing.

Aitch Wed 08-Aug-07 12:17:45

cook yourself thin book is out in nove, i think. next week's jamie is courgettes and a bit better. but i still thought it was a wank programme. he always does one crap programme then a good one, though.

expatinscotland Wed 08-Aug-07 12:18:36

That Cook Yourself Thin one was shite.

Aitch Wed 08-Aug-07 12:19:56

see i thought it was quite good. not as abusive as most diet shows. and some useful info, i felt.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Aug-07 12:22:47

I missed Cook Yourself Thin because we turned over to second half of Coast instead.

I do like the concept of Cook Yourself Thin though - anything to save people from awful additive-laden diet food and thinking they can only lose weight if they pay a fortune for special stuff.

Courgettes eh - well, I will watch it again then.

Zippi - it is a new series on Channel 4, 8pm Tue.

expatinscotland Wed 08-Aug-07 12:22:52

There were too damned many of them on at one time, all talking at once.

Lame.

Tinker Wed 08-Aug-07 12:30:39

Oh god, watched that crappy Cook Yourself Thin - hadn't realised it clashed with Neil Oliver!

MrsSpoon Wed 08-Aug-07 12:30:57

Hated how Jamie kept saying "bosch", made me shout "miele" at the screen.

Aitch Wed 08-Aug-07 12:33:46

and delish. everything is delish this year...

Aitch Wed 08-Aug-07 12:34:49

the charlies angels thing was annoying, granted, but the ideas were good. i really think i'll buy that book. next week, chocolate cake made with beetroot. it looked AMAZING!

expatinscotland Wed 08-Aug-07 12:36:25

Cook Yourself Thin. Duh! Yeah, cook food and don't eat so damn much of it. Go for a walk afterwards or play with your children, pull weeds in the garden, etc.

There's a no brainer.

Tinker Wed 08-Aug-07 12:38:28

My mum used to do a chocolate cake with courgette - gorgeous

Aitch Wed 08-Aug-07 12:39:19

say for the woman on next week, for example, i genuinely don't think she cooked, but she ate five chicken caesar salads a week from pizza express. so she wanted to do someothing, kinda, but didn't know where to start.
all of these tv formats are high concept, or durr tv. i bet they came up with the name before they even had a clue what it was goiing to be. wildly prefer it to gillian mckeith, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now