Talk

Advanced search

His Dark Materials

(906 Posts)
AllGoodDogs Fri 19-Jul-19 22:50:13

New BBC adaptation, looks so good, can't wait grin trailer here -

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10162256439035553&id=683285552&sfnsn=mo

TanselleTooTall Wed 08-Jan-20 00:22:32

I ithought Lyra and Pan were more cuddly and together when they were telling Asriel about nearly being cut, than they were in the actual situation.

Yeah. I think that as for me, when I read the scene in the book what stuck with me is Lyra and Pan desperately rushing back together, can't get physically close enough together even if they'd tried, them whimpering over and over and swearing "Never, ever, ever" they'd let it happen (in relation to them being separated), sobbing and both are utterly bereft at being so.close to falling victim of this awful crime and losing each other in the process.

It didn't translate well on TV as after their release from the cage, Pan was almost an after thought to Lyra because she was so focused on Mrs Coulter. (If I was helpless and witnessing my child being seconds away from some awful, awful catastrophe but was saved in the last moment, hell no would I ignore that child in favour of the firefighter who averted the danger! grin )

It must be the show's budgeting, I reckon. Just too complex and expensive to animate the daemons in this way.

Bimbleberries Sun 05-Jan-20 22:08:34

finally had a chance to watch the last episode on catch-up

I couldn't tell why Roger's death allowed enough energy to be released to open up a new world, but all the other children's separations didn't. Why wasn't tons of energy released then? What was so special about Asriel doing it?
And why didn't the children's daemons turn into little flies or something that could fly through the bars of the cages and back to the child?

I missed something about Will being so desperate to run away as well, and to find the window. Still not clear if it was totally by accident or not.

I ithought Lyra and Pan were more cuddly and together when they were telling Asriel about nearly being cut, than they were in the actual situation.

I still want Mrs Coulter to be coming from a place of good intentions, giving up her ambitions because she loves Lyra, but I don't really think she is

TanselleTooTall Wed 25-Dec-19 18:35:52

*was not petrified

TanselleTooTall Wed 25-Dec-19 18:35:15

How could I forget! Sorry, last post i promise.
After Lyra and Pan were released from the cutting machine by Mrs Coulter, where was the desperate cuddling/crying/reassurances between the two?? She was released and just stared up at M.Coulter with Pan completely forgotten about. It's supposed to be one of the most obscenely, unacceptable, morally bankrupt things to do to a child ripping their soul from them and I couldn't help but feel she was petrified at the near experience. Dunno, it just didn't feel 'right'

TanselleTooTall Wed 25-Dec-19 18:08:56

Oh yes, nearly forgot!
I thoroughly expected Will to be played by that young actor with the eyebrows. The one from The Maze Runner. No idea why specifically. Just did.

TanselleTooTall Wed 25-Dec-19 18:05:37

Well I finished watching the last episode. I purposefully stayed away from this thread so I couldn't be influenced as to how I feel about the season vs the book.

Lyra wasn't bratty enough! I'd hoped to watch her being an 'orrid little so and so, but she was so reserved on screen.

Ma Costa's forearms were too slim. I wanted to see a big, stocky woman capable of giving a good wallop and clout when needed!

The daemons barely adapted and changed to suit the mood, need or environment. That was a let down.

I really hoped to see the scene where the fish was taken from the little boy after his death. Lyra was full of rage and anger at the huge sense of injustice of it all: Pan turned into a snarling, vicious leopard whilst Lyra screamed blue murder.

Iofur's desire to emulate humans was skimmed over to a huge degree. His short part in the episode really didn't make much of a point, IYSWIM?

I was unhappy with how Hester was designed. Too fluffy, too animated, too talkative. She was a scrawny, dull looking thing, ears flat along her back, eyes barely open and made herself as still as possible. Extremely cunning because that way, no one paid her any attention and she watched everything and everyone in the room, relaying important information back to Lee.

Farder Coram's cat was a let down. She was so beautiful and with unusual markings in TNL.

It sounds like I'm moaning but otherwise, everything else was pretty good with some really great acting. I cried a fair number of times.

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Tue 24-Dec-19 19:49:40

* What the heck was Mrs Coulter (and daemon) up to at the beginning, on the airship? It looked a bit rude!*

I’m pretty sure this was supposed to be mortification, the religious practice of causing yourself physical pain as a form of offering to God. I thought it was quite clever really, showing how she could hurt/mortify herself by hurting her daemon.

CountFosco Tue 24-Dec-19 19:43:40

I was not happy that he used the portal in the wrong place. Pullman describes very clearly where the portal is that Will uses, I use to live very close to it, and was looking forward to seeing that not very attractive part of north Oxford on TV. It wasn't Lord Boreal's portal though, it was just very nearby which makes a kind of sense (think about what Will does later on).

* Do you have wear a trouser*

Clearly you haven't read much fashion writing, it's all 'a red lip' and 'a silver shoe'. Gives me the fucking rage. As annoying as 'she sourced her jumper at Oxfam'. Grrr.

WaterSheep Tue 24-Dec-19 13:34:40

noblegiraffe That was my first question. It's the wrong portal. Not sure how they're going to write themselves out of that corner. confused

Piggywaspushed Tue 24-Dec-19 13:27:38

However, what is definitely true is that Milton wrote of Golden Compasses.

There is a raging debate about this on a Masonic website, obviously.

Piggywaspushed Tue 24-Dec-19 13:26:02

Turns out - as with many American usages- that compass is the original, changed when the mariners' compass was invented . I give you Chaucer : "poynt of my compas".
and Swift : "to fix one foot of their compass wherever they think fit."

noblegiraffe Tue 24-Dec-19 13:21:47

It’s a pair because it has two legs.

Trousers. Scissors. Compasses.

Piggywaspushed Tue 24-Dec-19 13:17:24

Why is it a pair though : what does each bit of it do? ( I realise I could ask the same about scissors...)

Pretty sure Dh says compass... but then he doesn't do less/ fewer either!

noblegiraffe Tue 24-Dec-19 11:35:07

How is Will going to end up in Cittàgazze when the portal he goes through is the one that Lord Boreal uses to get to Lyra’s world?

What the heck was Mrs Coulter (and daemon) up to at the beginning, on the airship? It looked a bit rude!

I have no idea! I wondered too. Were they angry? Cold? It did look a bit rude.

noblegiraffe Tue 24-Dec-19 11:32:49

I just watched The Golden Compass again last night to see how they did it differently and omg the dæmons were so much better. Every scene had birds flying overhead, animals on the ground and it didn’t make it seem too busy, it just made it seem like a different world. It felt that they built the world more effectively too, perhaps because they had less time. But it did feel rushed, I think the content was better as a series.

Every time the alethiometer came out, they said ‘it’s a golden compass, an alethiometer to help you find the truth’ (or similar) and I was filled with rage now that I know that Milton was talking about golden compasses.

piggy I call the twiddly twirly thing for angles a compass, too.

This is the hill I am willing to die on. PAIR OF COMPASSES. Do you have wear a trouser and cut paper with a scissor too?

Piggywaspushed Tue 24-Dec-19 11:17:10

I thought the book was about the NESW compass , too, but I call the twiddly twirly thing for angles a compass, too. No one has ever overruled me!

I do have an American mother but doubt I discussed compasses, of either kind, with her.

Rosehip10 Tue 24-Dec-19 11:07:01

No as I think colonel parry went through another portal in Alaska?

Mummy195 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:54:30

Didn't the letters from his dad give Will clues on where to go?

ShinyGiratina Tue 24-Dec-19 10:42:20

Will followed the cat, and the portal presented a safe place to hide.

CountFosco Tue 24-Dec-19 10:25:47

How did Will manage to find the portal thingy just by chance and , if that can happen, why haven’t loads of other curious people gone through it?

Some of that may be explained in a forthcoming series! As for why haven't lots of other people gone through it? Would you? Will and Lyra both have nothing to lose (Will thinks he'll be arrested for murder, Lyra has lost her best friend and her parents have let her down), but if you were reasonably happy in your life would you go through a portal into an unknown world? You have no idea what awaits you there, you might never come back. I wouldn't do it. Boreal was quite excited to discover John Parry had moved between worlds, he had never met anyone else brave enough.

Rosehip10 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:04:36

The amber spyglass was also edited in the US to remove "offensive" content about the church and lyra's "sensations".

Igneococcus Tue 24-Dec-19 07:47:56

I'm not a native English speaker and I have only thanks to this thread realized there is another meaning to the word compass in English.

dementedma Mon 23-Dec-19 21:40:17

How did Will manage to find the portal thingy just by chance and , if that can happen, why haven’t loads of other curious people gone through it?

ginghamstarfish Mon 23-Dec-19 17:55:42

What the heck was Mrs Coulter (and daemon) up to at the beginning, on the airship? It looked a bit rude!

Rosehip10 Mon 23-Dec-19 16:39:15

Why didn't the magisterium fleet of airships simply gun down asriel and his equipment?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »