Talk

Advanced search

His Dark Materials

(906 Posts)
AllGoodDogs Fri 19-Jul-19 22:50:13

New BBC adaptation, looks so good, can't wait grin trailer here -

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10162256439035553&id=683285552&sfnsn=mo

Unihorn Tue 03-Dec-19 19:12:08

CoffeeWithMyOxygen yes I agree that scene did seem a bit strange given the lack of screen time, but in the Secret Commonwealth it is explained a bit more about how you can sort of sense if someone doesn't have a daemon without immediately looking at them.

blackteaplease Tue 03-Dec-19 19:33:38

Have you read the most recent book @CoffeeWithMyOxygen? Apparently it's very easy to tell when people have no daemon as opposed to them being in a pocket. Theres an almost emotional reaction as it's so unusual.

I am so disappointed in this series for all of the reasons given - lack of demons in scenes, lack of ratter/fish, early intro of the subtle knife (although Will and his mother are brilliant). I have also found it boring in parts.

AnotherEmma Tue 03-Dec-19 19:49:53

Yes much of it is very boring.
The only episode so far that I've really enjoyed in the one before last, when we met Iofur and Lee. I think it was the closest to the book in terms of plot (no/few extra storylines) and probably no coincidence that it was more gripping!

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Tue 03-Dec-19 20:20:12

@Unihorn @blackteaplease Ah, thank you - I’ve not read it yet (new baby is distracting!) but it’s top of my Christmas list so hopefully soon. That does make sense though if they could simmer sense it. Poor Billy.

Figgygal Tue 03-Dec-19 21:00:35

I'm looking forward to the last episode
Which sounds rude like I'm not enjoying it I am but I'm not LOVING it

noblegiraffe Wed 04-Dec-19 00:04:15

Brilliant thread about how great the fish scene is in the book (one of the most profoundly moving in all of literature) and the meaning that has been lost.

This bit in particular mentions when Lyra fights the fishermen for the dried fish: “So now we know: 1) that for Lyra, the symbolic is as important as the real. More important, maybe. Given her later role this is key. 2) that she will fight for what’s right even when it makes no material difference.

twitter.com/nicklakeauthor/status/1201616816558219264?s=21

Attached is the scene from the book. Even that short extract has such impact.

purpleme12 Wed 04-Dec-19 00:06:17

Gosh I knew the books were popular but didn't know they were so revered! I'll have to read them one day

Angharad07 Wed 04-Dec-19 00:22:56

I read the 1st book aged 11 and loved it. I then re-read it and read the others aged around 17. Is it me or are the books brilliant for both a pre-teen and adult audience? By the final book there are some brilliant subtle themes.

Any tv/film re-makes seem to target child audiences.

AnotherEmma Wed 04-Dec-19 12:03:24

The books are literary classics. They are absolutely more than "just" children's fiction.

ShinyGiratina Wed 04-Dec-19 13:41:25

I think the 8pm time slot is about right. It is family, but not young family. My DCs are watching but at 6& 8-9 are probably younger than most. The 6yo will be taking it at face value of an adventure. My older one is asking lots of great questions. It's great for him as his dyslexia means that he can't process the text of novels for pleasure, but intellectually he can manage this level of story. They were bemused at me being a snotty, sobbing mess as Billy died in his mother's arms, as I had my little boys snuggled up with me grin

We've watched some 90s classic book adaptions such as Moondial and some of them feel quite blunt compared to modern dramas. Some of it is the slower pace and more stagy acting that gives you more time to process the story rather than being whipped through. I'd love the full 7 Narnia books to be adapted. The 80s-90s versions were brilliant for their time.

My taste in literature is firmly stuck in young adult fantasy such as this, and Garth Nix grin

SimonJT Sun 08-Dec-19 20:04:20

Here we go!

Figgygal Sun 08-Dec-19 20:48:09

Thoughts so far tonight

Love Ruth Wilson
Why dont the children's Deamons turn into tigers and rip the bad guys throats out?
Where the F is James Mcavoy!!

Pantalaimon88 Sun 08-Dec-19 21:18:42

So disappointed in the moment when Lyra and Pan are released from the cages; they should have clung together and sobbed. They are so traumatised at what very almost happened to them. But Lyra just strolls out of the cage and doesn’t even glance at Pan?!

I did like the addition of showing the severed children, though. I always wondered where they all were in the book.

Figgygal Sun 08-Dec-19 21:24:09

Absolutely just again completely undermining the intensity of the relationship between someone and their daemon

Unihorn Sun 08-Dec-19 21:42:32

I've been enjoying this as a separate adaptation of the books but the lack of daemons tonight really ruined it. The whole first half was completely meaningless without daemons!

ImTheCaddy Sun 08-Dec-19 21:57:12

I wonder if true interaction between daemon and human is just too expensive to achieve. They seem to touch each other much less than in the books.

If I hadn't read the books I would have no idea at all what was going on.

Still loving it though. Primarily for the armoured bears

Loopytiles Sun 08-Dec-19 22:40:51

Really enjoying it!

Agree that pan and lyra ignoring each other after nearly being severed was poor!

Seeinf Lyra be brave, and lying was good, Mrs Coulter excellent, and loved Serafina single handedly taking out the bad guys.

Hot Priest from Fleabag as John Parry: that should be interesting!

Loopytiles Sun 08-Dec-19 22:42:23

I saw this on stage in London many years ago and the daemon puppets were fantastic and much more interactive with the humans.

AnotherEmma Sun 08-Dec-19 22:52:05

If there was ONE SCENE when they could have made the fucking effort to have a proper embrace between Lyra and Pan, that was it!!! angry

Apart from that it was ok, enjoyed it slightly more than previous episodes. DH and I have concluded that it's all a bit too slow in pace, though.

CalmConfident Sun 08-Dec-19 23:08:17

Agree with @AnotherEmma a big hug with Lyra and Pan needed there..! Plus when they were blowing up the intercision machine Lyra was WAY too far away from him. It is almost as if the stigma of not touching other people’s daemons has been extended to holding your own daemon.

Also did the severed kids daemons not want to be with them, they were still in the cages!

CountFosco Sun 08-Dec-19 23:22:09

Hot Priest from Fleabag as John Parry: that should be interesting!

Or Moriarty as John Parry! But yes, quite excited about this.

Loved the discussion between Lee and Serafina and how he reluctantly recognises his fate is to look after Lyra. Loved the whole episode actually and had a good discussion with DD1 about Mrs Coulter and how her character was so complex. Although I am slightly disturb how much DD1 is looking forward to the events in Svalbard. Enjoyed Mrs Coulter climbing through the air con shafts (in the book it's Lyra) and jumping down like a monkey. Ruth Wilson is incredible in this. Agree about Pan and Lyra hugging though, they do it so much in the books and they need to do it in the series as well.

Powerplant Sun 08-Dec-19 23:25:49

I am really enjoying this series I haven’t read the books so have nothing to compare with. Can’t wait for next week’s episode to see how the boy living with the mother with mh issues (sorry can’t remember their names) is brought into the story. The books though will make a good Christmas pressie for me though

Ginfordinner Sun 08-Dec-19 23:28:25

I am loving this series. I read the books several years ago and don't remember every detail, just the general gist of the story. Ruth Wilson is incredible, and looks fabulous.

VanyaHargreeves Sun 08-Dec-19 23:50:52

I am trying to read the books but not getting far... my concentration for reading has become poor.

Not overly impressed with Dafne Keen, a bit one note.
Lin Manuel Miranda and Ruth Wilson are great though

I find it quite odd that some posters have said that her parentage was a huge reveal down the line but they've kind of squandered it as a nothing, I don't see why, it seems an odd departure

WaterSheep Mon 09-Dec-19 06:38:53

If I hadn't read the books I would have no idea at all what was going on.

Agreed. I'm sure people who haven't read the books are enjoying it. However, having read the books the TV adaptation is missing so many nuances of the story, TV viewers alone are being shortchanged with the story.

I'm also cross that Pan and Lyra seem incapable of hugging or being close after a traumatic event, but some random scientist can pick up Pan no problem.

I don't think the series is doing as well as the BBC were hoping. I know another series is in the works, but I don't think i'll be watching it. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »