Talk

Advanced search

His Dark Materials

(906 Posts)
AllGoodDogs Fri 19-Jul-19 22:50:13

New BBC adaptation, looks so good, can't wait grin trailer here -

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10162256439035553&id=683285552&sfnsn=mo

Happyelfjokeday Sun 03-Nov-19 17:08:52

I’m pretty sure they are planning to film the next book for s2 as they are confident it is awesome... bodes well.

SoupDragon Sun 03-Nov-19 17:09:22

I'm watching this with DD. I hope it's good!

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Sun 03-Nov-19 17:13:00

So excited! As are ds1 and dd.

FlosCampi Sun 03-Nov-19 17:19:10

It reminds me of those sunday evening family dramas that used to be shown at this time of year: box of delights, Narnia, the Snow Spider!

hollieberrie Sun 03-Nov-19 17:36:31

Can't wait!
And....Lin Manuel Miranda! grin

Pantalaimon88 Sun 03-Nov-19 17:39:22

I’ve adored the books for almost 20 years, and thought the film was a travesty, so have high hopes for this.

DH has never read the books and knows nothing about them, so will be interesting to see what he thinks of it.

Soubriquet Sun 03-Nov-19 17:41:07

Ah I’m so glad this popped up

I knew it was on soon but wasn’t sure when

I can’t wait grin

LittleTopic Sun 03-Nov-19 17:42:39

I am so excited for this! One of my favourite book series as a kid.

And they need to do something that beats the God awful film they made about 10 years ago hmm

LittleTopic Sun 03-Nov-19 17:43:30

@Pantalaimon88 your username gringringrin

dementedma Sun 03-Nov-19 17:45:40

Looking forward to this too. Loved the books but was bitterly disappointed in The Book of Dust when it came out. What a let down. Seemed to be a lot of canoeing down rivers in the rain and not much else.

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 03-Nov-19 17:47:17

We are very excited. Late night for DD but she’s determined she’s staying up for it.

Happyelfjokeday Sun 03-Nov-19 17:49:24

Ha - yes first book of dust started off really promising but really went downhill once the flood happened, totally agree. Some good stuff in it though early on, remember that ‘league’ of children in schools who had to tell on everyone with dire consequences, chilling and echoes of real life. Second one good so far... no canoes in sight yet thankfully!

Soubriquet Sun 03-Nov-19 18:02:53

I used to have an African Pygmy hedgehog called Pantalaimon gringrin

He was a bugger

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 03-Nov-19 18:09:03

Seemed to be a lot of canoeing down rivers in the rain and not much else.

You’re being a bit harsh. They changed the baby a lot too. grin

Why isn’t it 8 o’clock already?

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 03-Nov-19 19:42:45

DD and I hated the pharmacy chapter! Disposable nappies and boxes of juice!

Secret Commonwealth not very child friendly, so I’m putting her off for a few years with that one. Still, 18 minutes to go! X

DangerMouse17 Sun 03-Nov-19 19:46:04

Is it ok for 8yr old? Although I think 8pm is too late for school wake-up sad

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Sun 03-Nov-19 19:49:36

I really liked Belle Sauvage and Secret Commonwealth.

I agree that the children in school etc were disturbing. Yet so real and plausible. I liked the flood, I found the narrative kept you going as though you were racing along with the river. It also felt reminiscent of the Odyssey or others of that ilk, an epic poem. I loved the snippets of strange things they met as they went. We'd been introduced to the concept of ghosts and ghasts being real in His Dark Materials but not seen how close and real other magical realms could be.

I hope that is further explored in the final Book of Dust. There must be a reason for the big focus on the Secret Commonwealth. I hope we explore more of Oakley Street too. I find the politics interesting and look forward to seeing how that pans out. Will there be political reform that leaves us feeling that the people and characters we love will be able to live in peace? When we left Lyra at the end of Amber Spyglass she may have had a victory against the church but they were still powerful and we knew her peace wouldn't last.

Soubriquet Sun 03-Nov-19 19:58:10

I’ve never read the bool...only watched the golden compass

Is it worth giving it a go?

SomethingPunny Sun 03-Nov-19 19:58:20

I’m pretty sure they are planning to film the next book for s2 as they are confident it is awesome... bodes well.

Season two/book two has already been filmed! 😁

OytheBumbler Sun 03-Nov-19 19:59:13

Is this on normal tv? I read the books years ago and enjoyed them.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 03-Nov-19 20:01:49

Definitely worth a go, Soubriquet. And get the book too wink

ThrilledToTiddlyBits Sun 03-Nov-19 20:07:45

I'm just waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can watch with no interruptions!

I've just started the secret commonwealth this week, I really liked Book of Dust. The first 3 books are my favourite ever, thinking of pointing my 11 year old in their direction soon.

hopeishere Sun 03-Nov-19 20:17:08

I'm making DS1 watch it with me. I've read the first two books.

The girl is a bit hard to make out, she's mumbling. I've had to turn the volume up!!

MrsGrindah Sun 03-Nov-19 20:28:38

Everybody is mumbling! I’ve had to turn it up to a ridiculous level and down again when music comes on. Absolutely loved the book but I’m finding it hard to follow

Pantalaimon88 Sun 03-Nov-19 20:29:46

It looks as though theyve combined the characters of Billy Costa and Tony Makarios.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »