Talk

Advanced search

His Dark Materials

(906 Posts)
AllGoodDogs Fri 19-Jul-19 22:50:13

New BBC adaptation, looks so good, can't wait grin trailer here -

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10162256439035553&id=683285552&sfnsn=mo

Cooroo Sat 20-Jul-19 07:25:52

I'm so excited about this - I have loved Ruth Wilson since Luther and she is perfect casting for Mrs Coulter. I read all the books to my DD many years ago, I'm so glad they are doing it properly now.

IceRebel Sat 20-Jul-19 07:33:27

I'm also very excited about this. The film adaptation was a huge disappointment, and very poorly executed. Hopefully this will explore the series in more detail, and do the books the justice they deserve.

veryboredtoday Sat 20-Jul-19 09:23:04

I'm very excited about this and hope its an improvement on the film. Ruth Wilson is perfect casting as she can do the charming and sinister so well.

TapasForTwo Sat 20-Jul-19 09:25:00

Thank you for the heads up. I loved the books.

swissmilk Sat 20-Jul-19 09:31:06

Anyone able to find when it's being aired?
Can't wait, loved the books quite liked the film too

Simonfromharlow Sat 20-Jul-19 09:33:36

I didn't know about this!!! Omg I can't wait!

SayNoToCarrots Sat 20-Jul-19 09:37:51

😀 😀 😀 looks so good

Simonfromharlow Sat 20-Jul-19 13:38:22

Just watched the trailer. Looks so good! It gave me goosebumps!

Ruth Wilson is absolutely perfect as Mrs Coulter! Just as I imagined her when reading the books!

StroppyWoman Sat 20-Jul-19 13:40:26

I’m so looking forward to it! Love James MacAvoy, Clarke Peters and Lin-Manuel Miranda. (Haven’t seen Ruth Jones but happy to love her too)

Jeffter Sat 20-Jul-19 13:46:19

StroppyWoman happy to stick my neck out and assure you that you'll love Ruth Jones

Anyone know when it's on?

StroppyWoman Sat 20-Jul-19 14:14:20

Think I read something saying late September

Knittedjimmychoos Sat 20-Jul-19 14:26:54

Brilliant agree Ruth wilson perfect.

Film wasn't great perfect watching with 🎭 children as autumn comes

AllGoodDogs Sat 20-Jul-19 16:19:31

Agree Ruth Wilson looks fantastic. Iorek looks phenomenal too! I'm curious to see how far they go with it in terms of the 3 books... HDM was the name of the trilogy but I only see bits from Northern Lights. I'd love too see the other 2 books done if this is as good as it looks!

f83mx Sat 20-Jul-19 22:48:52

Wow didn’t know this was on the cards , thank you! Was so disappointed in the film.... the characters (from trailer) now look much more like how I “saw” them when reading if you know what I mean.

Knitwit99 Sat 20-Jul-19 22:52:01

Wow. Hope it's something I can watch with the kids, there's not been much in the way of good family drama for a while. I'm watching Stranger Things with my teenager but it's not exactly family viewing.

Loopytiles Sun 21-Jul-19 22:32:38

Excited about this. Casting looks good! Not at all sure about James McAvoy for Asriel though.

Pantalaimon88 Sun 03-Nov-19 16:39:26

Was about to start a thread, but just found this one.

Who is excited for 8pm?!

Peccary Sun 03-Nov-19 16:48:36

Excited and nervous, I want it to be good so badly

lakequeen Sun 03-Nov-19 16:49:53

Really looking forward to it!

BertieBotts Sun 03-Nov-19 16:50:31

I'm sooo excited :D Can't watch tonight as it will be too late. Do you think I could watch it with DS (11)? He's not especially sensitive.

Happyelfjokeday Sun 03-Nov-19 16:53:45

I’m excited! Never watched the film as was told it was rubbish and so couldn’t risk ruining the book.
Have just started reading his latest book with 20 year old Lyra. Love this story & universe so much, I hope I like tv Lyra...!

DontLettuceBrexitLettuceRomain Sun 03-Nov-19 16:57:10

Anyone know why they never made the other films? Was it budget / reception or did they never intend to

Burru Sun 03-Nov-19 16:59:04

Another trying to find out what the recommended age for this is!
I think the books are too old for my 9 year old so thinking sadly not family viewing for us tonight.

LittleAndOften Sun 03-Nov-19 17:08:11

I just love these books, I think they are phenomenal. Rich in ideas, ambitious in scope and so much depth. Pullman is a genius to be able to weave such complex ideas with action-packed adventure. I want to be him when I grow up 😁

That awful film they made with Nicole Kidman was a travesty so I have high hopes for this adaptation (it can hardly be worse). It's always going to be difficult to adapt books so packed full of detail - I mean, what do you leave out?! - but they stand a fighting chance by doing it as a series.

Happyelfjokeday Sun 03-Nov-19 17:08:52

I’m pretty sure they are planning to film the next book for s2 as they are confident it is awesome... bodes well.

SoupDragon Sun 03-Nov-19 17:09:22

I'm watching this with DD. I hope it's good!

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Sun 03-Nov-19 17:13:00

So excited! As are ds1 and dd.

FlosCampi Sun 03-Nov-19 17:19:10

It reminds me of those sunday evening family dramas that used to be shown at this time of year: box of delights, Narnia, the Snow Spider!

hollieberrie Sun 03-Nov-19 17:36:31

Can't wait!
And....Lin Manuel Miranda! grin

Pantalaimon88 Sun 03-Nov-19 17:39:22

I’ve adored the books for almost 20 years, and thought the film was a travesty, so have high hopes for this.

DH has never read the books and knows nothing about them, so will be interesting to see what he thinks of it.

Soubriquet Sun 03-Nov-19 17:41:07

Ah I’m so glad this popped up

I knew it was on soon but wasn’t sure when

I can’t wait grin

LittleTopic Sun 03-Nov-19 17:42:39

I am so excited for this! One of my favourite book series as a kid.

And they need to do something that beats the God awful film they made about 10 years ago hmm

LittleTopic Sun 03-Nov-19 17:43:30

@Pantalaimon88 your username gringringrin

dementedma Sun 03-Nov-19 17:45:40

Looking forward to this too. Loved the books but was bitterly disappointed in The Book of Dust when it came out. What a let down. Seemed to be a lot of canoeing down rivers in the rain and not much else.

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 03-Nov-19 17:47:17

We are very excited. Late night for DD but she’s determined she’s staying up for it.

Happyelfjokeday Sun 03-Nov-19 17:49:24

Ha - yes first book of dust started off really promising but really went downhill once the flood happened, totally agree. Some good stuff in it though early on, remember that ‘league’ of children in schools who had to tell on everyone with dire consequences, chilling and echoes of real life. Second one good so far... no canoes in sight yet thankfully!

Soubriquet Sun 03-Nov-19 18:02:53

I used to have an African Pygmy hedgehog called Pantalaimon gringrin

He was a bugger

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 03-Nov-19 18:09:03

Seemed to be a lot of canoeing down rivers in the rain and not much else.

You’re being a bit harsh. They changed the baby a lot too. grin

Why isn’t it 8 o’clock already?

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 03-Nov-19 19:42:45

DD and I hated the pharmacy chapter! Disposable nappies and boxes of juice!

Secret Commonwealth not very child friendly, so I’m putting her off for a few years with that one. Still, 18 minutes to go! X

DangerMouse17 Sun 03-Nov-19 19:46:04

Is it ok for 8yr old? Although I think 8pm is too late for school wake-up sad

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Sun 03-Nov-19 19:49:36

I really liked Belle Sauvage and Secret Commonwealth.

I agree that the children in school etc were disturbing. Yet so real and plausible. I liked the flood, I found the narrative kept you going as though you were racing along with the river. It also felt reminiscent of the Odyssey or others of that ilk, an epic poem. I loved the snippets of strange things they met as they went. We'd been introduced to the concept of ghosts and ghasts being real in His Dark Materials but not seen how close and real other magical realms could be.

I hope that is further explored in the final Book of Dust. There must be a reason for the big focus on the Secret Commonwealth. I hope we explore more of Oakley Street too. I find the politics interesting and look forward to seeing how that pans out. Will there be political reform that leaves us feeling that the people and characters we love will be able to live in peace? When we left Lyra at the end of Amber Spyglass she may have had a victory against the church but they were still powerful and we knew her peace wouldn't last.

Soubriquet Sun 03-Nov-19 19:58:10

I’ve never read the bool...only watched the golden compass

Is it worth giving it a go?

SomethingPunny Sun 03-Nov-19 19:58:20

I’m pretty sure they are planning to film the next book for s2 as they are confident it is awesome... bodes well.

Season two/book two has already been filmed! 😁

OytheBumbler Sun 03-Nov-19 19:59:13

Is this on normal tv? I read the books years ago and enjoyed them.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 03-Nov-19 20:01:49

Definitely worth a go, Soubriquet. And get the book too wink

ThrilledToTiddlyBits Sun 03-Nov-19 20:07:45

I'm just waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can watch with no interruptions!

I've just started the secret commonwealth this week, I really liked Book of Dust. The first 3 books are my favourite ever, thinking of pointing my 11 year old in their direction soon.

hopeishere Sun 03-Nov-19 20:17:08

I'm making DS1 watch it with me. I've read the first two books.

The girl is a bit hard to make out, she's mumbling. I've had to turn the volume up!!

MrsGrindah Sun 03-Nov-19 20:28:38

Everybody is mumbling! I’ve had to turn it up to a ridiculous level and down again when music comes on. Absolutely loved the book but I’m finding it hard to follow

Pantalaimon88 Sun 03-Nov-19 20:29:46

It looks as though theyve combined the characters of Billy Costa and Tony Makarios.

Musicalstatues Sun 03-Nov-19 20:30:44

I thought it was my tv or hearing!! Hope the sound levels improve!

MrsGrindah Sun 03-Nov-19 20:33:21

James McAvoy though....phwoar! Sorry to lower the tone!

Wizzbangpop Sun 03-Nov-19 20:37:56

The sound quality is awful especially at the beginning with that music and the echoey graveyard

Liking the story the cgi and the great cast

xsquared Sun 03-Nov-19 20:45:28

I like Ruth Wilson's outfit here.

Clawdy Sun 03-Nov-19 20:46:53

Boring me stiff so far, don't think I'll carry on.

Piggywaspushed Sun 03-Nov-19 20:47:00

Another McAvoy lover here!

The sound is awful, the music intrusive and the girl wooden. Hmmmm....

Written by the same man who wrote The Accident, worryingly....

Piggywaspushed Sun 03-Nov-19 20:48:01

Also the endless steadicam tracking is annoying me.

MrsGrindah Sun 03-Nov-19 20:52:39

I didn’t know it was the same writer as The Accident! That explains a lot. I’m struggling to get engaged .

hopeishere Sun 03-Nov-19 20:58:11

It was ok. DS actually watched it all and seemed to enjoy it.

LittleAndOften Sun 03-Nov-19 21:01:28

I'm quite engaged. Not sure where that random helicopter came from at the start but it has the sense of menace, history and jeopardy I was hoping for. I noticed PP is an executive producer - gives me hope!

SimonJT Sun 03-Nov-19 21:04:23

I enjoyed it, but I still think James McAvoy is too young for Asriel, I think his ex wife is also a bit young to be Ma Costa.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Sun 03-Nov-19 21:04:39

Oh dear, I'm not in love.
When you have to have an explanation at the start it inevitably means a lot of detail has been missed. Why the need to include Asriel bringing her to Jordan? Doesn't affect things, could easily open with her there.
No slow rumblings of gobblers building up to it affecting Lyra's life.
Rushed into sending her with Mrs Coulter. Not getting the misgivings from Pan. All a bit rushed already.

ImportantWater Sun 03-Nov-19 21:04:57

Lyra is too nicely spoken. She said ain't once and it sounded wrong. I was sorry not to see the bit where they steal the daemon coins and get haunted. I was hoping to get more of an understanding of what the hell is going on in terms of metaphysics as I've read the books twice and still don't have a clue, but judging from the first episode that's not going to happen.

SleepyKat Sun 03-Nov-19 21:06:51

Not as good as I imagine the books in my head but 1000x better than the film.

Iirc with the film the original plan was to make the other books into films but The first film was a flop so it never happened.

DoolinEnnis Sun 03-Nov-19 21:06:53

Enjoyed the first episode, of course they kind include all the details of the books but looking forward to the rest of the series

Pinkarsedfly Sun 03-Nov-19 21:08:04

I’m glad I’m not the only one, ImportantWater.

Still clueless about Dust, and I’ve read the book twice blush

Hassled Sun 03-Nov-19 21:08:18

I quite enjoyed that. I haven't read the books and am not unusually a fan of fantasy-world type stuff; I just can't suspend disbelief for long enough. But apart from the random talking animals, that was good - will certainly watch again.

WaterSheep Sun 03-Nov-19 21:08:31

I really enjoyed it, and i'm so pleased to hear there will be a second season.

I do agree with LittleAndOften that the helicopter delivering Lyra was out of place.

ImportantWater Sun 03-Nov-19 21:09:03

I think things might look up when Lee Scoresby arrived. I'm sure I read a preview that said the script was funny - I didn't find it very lively.

dementedma Sun 03-Nov-19 21:10:22

If i hadnt read the books I wouldnt have had a clue what was happening. Too much missed out

MissMarpletheMurderer Sun 03-Nov-19 21:10:59

We are so disappointed. Unless you have read the book nothing makes sense very slow and confusing missed out loads and that episode cost 6 million quid I mean wtaf

Wizzbangpop Sun 03-Nov-19 21:13:07

I disagree I've not read the books and I understand what was happening. Even more so if the sound was better but that's not the narratives fault really

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 03-Nov-19 21:13:13

Ma Costa very young!
Hilarious to watch with 10 year old DD’s running commentary of exactly what SHOULD have been said, by whom and when.
I liked it.

lazylinguist Sun 03-Nov-19 21:14:45

Hmmm... it was ok. A bit slow, and I found Lyra a little wooden. It would definitely be confusing to anyone who hadn't read thr books.

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 03-Nov-19 21:16:19

Ah well, everyone should have read the books!

wigglybeezer Sun 03-Nov-19 21:17:14

I don't think enough was made of the daemons, I suppose for budget reasons. None of the extras seemed to have them and they didn't seem to have as much personality as in the books. I also agree about Lyra being too posh but that's a perennial problem with child actors on the BBC.

onedayallthiswillbeyours Sun 03-Nov-19 21:17:30

I haven't read the books but enjoyed that a lot. Struggled with the sound as my hearing is poor at the best of times, had to turn it up very loud to hear the dialogue but then the music was overpowering. Subtitles for me next week I think.

I don't have a clue what all the dust business is about but was able to follow the rest of the storyline ok and am really looking forward to the next instalment. Thought James McAvoy was excellent, such a good actor, and the little boy (Lyra's friend cant remember his name ) also fabulous.

daisypond Sun 03-Nov-19 21:17:46

I liked it. It had the right feel and look to me. I couldn’t make out some of the dialogue either until I put the subtitles on. A million times better than the film version so far.

Pantalaimon88 Sun 03-Nov-19 21:19:21

I liked it but I think we need to give it a few more episodes to get going. That was very much a “setting everything up” episode.

I was worried the retiring room scene with all the scholars talking about Dust would be quite dry on screen, but it was very engaging. The set was beautiful. The golden monkey’s face was horrifying 😱

I agree that Lyra was too nicely spoken and too “nice” in general. She’s supposed to be a feral little brat with no manners at all.

I felt more attention could be given to daemons of the minor characters and background characters/extras. Pan was visible in every shot but I struggled to see the daemons of others. I always imagined public or busy places in Lyra’s world would look like a menagerie.

Happyelfjokeday Sun 03-Nov-19 21:19:38

I agree I liked the look & feel, although the Gyptians seemed a bit more ‘modern’ in the way they dressed that I found a bit weird, maybe too bright & colourful?

ImportantWater Sun 03-Nov-19 21:20:21

I did like James McAvoy, his mingled tenderness and exasperation with Lyra, his face when she asked if the airship was like the one her parents died on.

MrsGrindah Sun 03-Nov-19 21:21:31

DH didn’t have a clue what was happening or why I’ve raved about the books

Happyelfjokeday Sun 03-Nov-19 21:21:41

Also ‘everyone’s special’, I liked that line

WaterSheep Sun 03-Nov-19 21:22:57

the Gyptians seemed a bit more ‘modern’ in the way they dressed

As daft as it sounds, I felt the same about Mrs Coulter's coat. grin

IrenetheQuaint Sun 03-Nov-19 21:22:59

It looked pretty but didn't really grab me... and the talking daemons just didn't work at all.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sun 03-Nov-19 21:23:21

In my mind Lyra should be more urchin-y and wilful. Why is there a helicopter at the start but twelve years later technology has seemingly gone backwards and people are travelling in airships? I thought in La Belle Sauvage Lyra had been delivered to the nuns, not straight to the college? There were hardly any daemons milling about -by right they should have been everywhere, especially in crowd scenes.
I think taking odd liberties with a story that people absolutely love will always be risky. None of the characters are how they are in my head, for a start (I realise that's virtually impossible but it sets out a disconnect from the beginning.)
If they get Serafina Pekkala wrong I will be raging!

UrsulaPandress Sun 03-Nov-19 21:24:22

I put subtitles on.

I understand dust.

I think.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sun 03-Nov-19 21:26:13

My take on dust is that you are supposed to view it as humankind being tainted by original Sin.
So until children mature, they are 'pure' but as soon as they have knowledge of sex/when their daemons settle then they start to attract dust.

UrsulaPandress Sun 03-Nov-19 21:27:27

Malcolm took her away in the flood and Asriel found them and took her to Jordan College. In his gyropter.

MrsGrindah Sun 03-Nov-19 21:28:20

YY to the point about daemons should be everywhere

LadyOfTheCanyon Sun 03-Nov-19 21:29:13

Clearly I need to reread LBS!

LetMeLayAmongTheStars Sun 03-Nov-19 21:34:21

Haven’t read any of the books but enjoyed tonight’s episode.
Was thinking of buying the books to read with Dc who’s almost 11, are they all age appropriate?

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 03-Nov-19 21:34:27

I thought the monkey looked a bit thuggish!

Although it doesn't help that I didn't realise "golden monkey" was a species, rather than just a description, so I've always pictured him more like this.

Manicpixiedreambitch Sun 03-Nov-19 21:34:53

I liked it. I think the next episode will be even better as the ground work has been laid.

clare8allthepies Sun 03-Nov-19 21:35:41

Those of you who have read the books, what age would you say they were suitable for? From the description they look like something my 9 year old would love, her reading is amazing but would they be too scary for that age?

FriendofDorothy Sun 03-Nov-19 21:36:22

I rather enjoyed it although it is making me think I need to go and re-read the novel.

I do want my own daemon though.

wigglybeezer Sun 03-Nov-19 21:37:21

The Daemons have to be central, not an added extra, the characters have to be unable to imagine life without them, and that the story wouldn't make sense without them. I get the feeling the writer or director didn't quite get them, I hope I'm proved wrong in later episodes.

Trewser Sun 03-Nov-19 21:38:34

Dd17 enjoyed it. Dh thought it was nonsense. I have to say I thought the books became ridiculous as they went on and I was noticing bits in the show that were just a bit silly.

If it didnt have the daemons it would be quite boring.

MrsGrindah Sun 03-Nov-19 21:39:31

Yes and it needs to be clear that they can feel their humans emotions too especially fear and pain

Fizzypoo Sun 03-Nov-19 21:39:33

I didn't get into it properly until there was 20 minutes left.

I'm going to hold out hope for episode 2. Dp got bored and went to sleep. I'm going to make him start reading the books tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »