Talk

Advanced search

Poldark.... is back on sunday

(90 Posts)
youngestisapsycho Thu 11-Jul-19 09:59:51

Why is this on in the summer.... needs to be in the autumn, cosied up on the sofa on a dark evening!
Cant wait for it though.

youngestisapsycho Thu 11-Jul-19 14:07:55

I thought there would be a bit more excitement about his return.....

Rhubarb01 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:04:04

The scheduling of this last series does make you wonder a bit, given how popular it has been since the first series appeared. I know there have been more criticisms of the later series, especially on here. The summer is often the time to bury the programmes that haven't turned out very well - or so it seems. Let's just hope that's not the case.

Rhubarb01 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:06:15

I guess with iplayer and the long-term access to boxsets, there may be less anxiety about the weekly ratings, and, in any case, there isn't going to be any more.

IcedPurple Fri 12-Jul-19 22:20:34

The summer is often the time to bury the programmes that haven't turned out very well - or so it seems.

The last two series of 'Poldark' were both broadcast in the summer. Which I think is a shame, as I consider it more autumnal viewing. As for series 4... they aren't following the books and moving forward in time, but are starting off shortly after the point where the 3rd series finished. Not sure if that's a good move but we shall soon see!

CoolCarrie Sun 14-Jul-19 00:10:28

This is going to be the last series, which is odd as the BBC said they were going to film all the books. I wonder what has caused the change of heart. I suppose it was going to be too expensive.

IcedPurple Sun 14-Jul-19 08:54:49

I don't think it has to do with expense - if that was the case they might have finished after series 4, which does kind of bring the story to a close. The later books, set much later in time, were kind of an afterthought for the author I believe.

If I was being cynical I'd say the BBC didn't want to 'age' hunky Aidan Turner and still want the benefit of his hunkiness, even though sadly his agent insisted on very few shirtless scenes 3 series ago.

But that's only if I was being cynical....

ElspethFlashman Sun 14-Jul-19 09:02:19

Aidan Turner clearly wants to move on. Probably Elinor T also. That's fairly normal for actors that age, they don't want to waste their prime years on one role.

I'm going to be watching but confused about the time line. Isn't there meant to be a big jump in the books at this point?

I know George eventually remarries and her character is supposed to be pretty interesting but I believe it's about a decade or thereabouts after he was widowed. So I'm not sure what George's storyline could possibly be in this series. I don't want just more boringly evil moustache-twirling over various mines, thanks very much. Snore.

And I think at this point Demelza just basically keeps popping out babies for several years. Also not v interesting.

mogloveseggs Sun 14-Jul-19 21:02:48

Anyone watching?

CoolCarrie Sun 14-Jul-19 21:29:48

Yes, I am. I haven’t read the books at all, but do remember the original and this version is beautiful to look at, the old one was studio bound, like so many tv series in The 70s.

mogloveseggs Sun 14-Jul-19 21:50:55

Haven't watched the original must try to get it on dvd.
I haven't read the books either but have loved it!
It's about the only thing dh and I watch together!

mogloveseggs Sun 14-Jul-19 21:52:02

He's never home when something goes wrong though

mogloveseggs Sun 14-Jul-19 21:52:14

Pollard I mean

mogloveseggs Sun 14-Jul-19 21:52:25

Poldark!

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 14-Jul-19 21:55:02

Didn't know it was on till today then watch so little TV these days looks like only 6 episodes too

IcedPurple Sun 14-Jul-19 22:02:06

Well, that was pretty rubbish.

woodhill Sun 14-Jul-19 22:07:15

Don't think Demelza has any more dc, unless she has another dd?

mogloveseggs Sun 14-Jul-19 22:09:44

Hmmmm not much went on there

IcedPurple Sun 14-Jul-19 22:46:34

The lack of interest is... interesting.

Early days yet I know, but I suspect this is going to be yet another example of a popular TV series not knowing when to call it a day.

LadyEv Mon 15-Jul-19 00:40:06

Garrick must be the world's most long lived dog!

SilverNewMoon Mon 15-Jul-19 07:03:30

For those who don't know, after Elizabeth dying there is a 10 year jump in the books. The next book after this focuses mainly on the children - Jeremy, Clowance, Valentine etc. Ross and Demelza are still in them of course, but considerably older.

The BBC didn't want to tackle this - it would have surely meant a change of actors. So instead they've decided to 'fill in the gap' and write their own fan fiction about what could have happened. IMO it's s pity they're not going to dramatise the later books as they are wonderful.

And to the person who asked, yes Demelza does have two more children - a daughter in the time jump, and a son in the later books.

IrenetheQuaint Mon 15-Jul-19 07:13:30

The plot is quite silly (it's usually weak when it diverges from the books, IMO), but quite fun to have a colonial/slavery angle and nice to see all the characters and the gorgeous Cornish scenery again.

CandyflossKid Mon 15-Jul-19 09:36:35

Found it a little boring last night - hope the storylines get better

SilverNewMoon Mon 15-Jul-19 19:43:29

Re Garrick, how is he still alive? He's been around since the first season...Geoffrey Charles wasn't even born in the first season, and now he's in his late teens. Something not quite right there!

ballsdeep Mon 15-Jul-19 19:49:26

I used to love poldark and have recently been rewatching the first series. I just couldn't get over when he cheated on demelza. I went off him and couldn't really commit to the show. 😳

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »