Talk

Advanced search

Handmaid’s Tale Season 3 US PACE! ##Spoilers for UK viewers##

(407 Posts)
AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Jun-19 00:47:08

We had a similar thread for season 2. This is specifically for those watching on Hulu in the US/elsewhere or UK streaming at the US pace so there be spoilers ahead for those watching at UK pace.

Please no spoilers if anyone has ‘advance knowledge’ of season 3 beyond the current episodes.

I’ve watched 2 of the 3 episodes dropped today. I’m pretty satisfied with things so far..I admit I got a bit emotional when it was clear that Emily and Nichole made it to Canada.

My only niggle right now is Mrs Lawrence. It’s pretty obvious she’s suffering from some type of MH condition. Yet everyone (pro Gilead)seems to buy Cdr Lawrence’s ‘she’s just tired’ or whatever excuses. Seems to me they’d be on the lookout for people outside the acceptable norm and anxious to ‘deal with them’.

I’ll be watching Ep 3 later tonight.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Jun-19 00:48:56

@Aridane. Saw you elsewhere looking to discuss the new season. Here’s the place to do it, unless someone else has already started a specific US pace thread.

ClaraLane Thu 06-Jun-19 07:48:09

Where have you found it online? I had a look on my usual sites this morning but couldn’t see it anywhere!

KickOffTheSundayShoes Thu 06-Jun-19 09:21:37

I'm watching on showbox Clara

SushiTime Thu 06-Jun-19 09:22:25

I'd also love to know how to watch it. Don't have sky :-/

KickOffTheSundayShoes Thu 06-Jun-19 09:22:49

I have watched the first 3 episodes, will be back to discuss when I wake up ( worked last night)

KickOffTheSundayShoes Thu 06-Jun-19 09:24:11

As far as I know showbox is Android only, not available if you trying to use through Apple. Works really well for us, use it a lot.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Jun-19 14:16:12

The third episode was really good!

I think what I got out of it is that June realized she needs powerful allies, it when she turned to the powerful men she knew (Nick, Lawrence, Waterford) she realized they either couldn’t or wouldn’t be willing to help her. She now realizes she’s going to have to form her own alliance made up of strong women and work to defeat the men, psychologically as well as with traditional methods used by subversive groups.

This is going to be a good season!

BG2015 Thu 06-Jun-19 18:10:10

I've watched all 3 episodes now and I'm confused about some aspects

1. Why has Cmd Lawrence got 2 Martha's ? Is it because he is so powerful?

2. How did June get a pass when she was dressed as a Martha?

3. Why is Lawrence saving some women and not others? I'm totally confused by his character and don't understand him at all?

I enjoyed all 3 episodes but did find June's character a bit much with so many angry faces - I love her, don't get me wrong but I just found it was overload - maybe because I watched all 3 episodes at once.

I shall be interested to see how it all pans out. Are there going to be weekly episodes released from next week?

AcrossthePond55 Thu 06-Jun-19 19:14:32

BG-

1- I think so. He's the 'architect' of Gilead. Or one of them. And it appears he gets what he wants. Such as the Council coming to him for the meeting. He obviously exerts great influence.

2- I assumed that Lawrence gave her one. I'd think he would have been aware that she left the house dressed like a Martha.

3- I agree! I can't pin him down either! One minute he appears sympathetic and willing, the next he seems unsympathetic and obstructionist. I'm going to enjoy watching his character develop!

I think June is building her anger to use for courage and strength to tear down Gilead. She knows she's going to need it!

calpop Thu 06-Jun-19 20:43:27

I really liked ep3. Great ending. Few minor niggles though. Nick/Serena/Lawrences wife and, indeed, June seem to be getting away with an extremely unlikely amount of illegal/untolerated in Gilead behaviour.

BG2015 Fri 07-Jun-19 06:27:48

Also Mrs Lawrence......was she planting flowers on the grave of the dead Martha? Is she aware of what's going on do you think?

I just hope that we aren't going to have season upon season of resistance movement stories. Gilead needs to be destroyed...

AcrossthePond55 Fri 07-Jun-19 20:13:34

BG Was that Mrs L? I thought it was the older Martha. Guess I haven't memorized the 'new' faces yet. If it was Mrs L, you don't know if she's aware and showing support in her own way or if she's acting from a place of ill mental health. I'm OK with resistance stories as long as they start to show 'results', even little results, and we can see 'babysteps'. I don't know how many seasons are planned for THT.

calpops I think they're getting away with things because the people close to them who might turn them in are either emotionally involved with them or are perhaps fearful of being implicated/guilt by association. Gilead doesn't seem to show much interest in listening to explanations. As far as Cdr Lawrence goes, as I've mentioned before, I don't know what's up with him! Is he testing June's level of courage and/or commitment to the resistance before getting her more involved? Is he just a 'silent partner' and thereby not risking himself (or Mrs L)? I think above all, he loves his wife and will never do anything that might risk him being arrested/knocked out of power because then there would be no one to protect her.

Can't wait for Wednesday!

BG2015 Fri 07-Jun-19 21:25:50

I wasn't sure who it was planting the flowers.

I did read during season 2 that the writers said that they could stretch it to 10 seasons - I hope not. Some things need to have an end point don't they.

Handmaid2019 Sat 08-Jun-19 23:18:21

I've just watched all three episodes. I was disappointed with Nick to be honest; always thought he was a good guy.

I was so happy when Emily was rescued, that episode made me cry a lot.

I can't have sympathy for serena, she still held June down - whilst she was heavily pregnant - so she could be raped! Who does that?

Excited for Wednesday!

Freshlysteamedvajayjay Sun 09-Jun-19 07:56:27

I think Commander Lawrence has a powerful position as one of the architects of Gilead but he is conflicted as he either didn’t fully realise the impacts of what he was creating or he did it to protect himself so he just pretends to adhere to the regime for the most part, but at the same time he craves his power and fears the alternative.

beanaseireann Sun 09-Jun-19 10:19:41

BG2015
I'm stunned you could watch 3 episodes in one go.
shock
I have to psych myself up to watch one.
It's started on RTE2 in Ireland. A double bill. I watched the first one. I can't face the second one yet.
It's so awfully dark and depressing.
I hope that the writers of series 2 and 3 stuck to Margaret Attwood's premise that what ever happens in the story has actually happened or is happening to women at some time and somewhere in the world.

Mrsplod Sun 09-Jun-19 10:35:42

Watched all 3 last night, don't worry I won't spoil it! Save to say it's brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it .

AcrossthePond55 Sun 09-Jun-19 15:04:01

It's OK Mrsplod. This thread is for people who are watching at the US pace, so they know when they come here it's likely that others have already posted about the available episodes.

On Wednesday mornings, I just avoid the thread until I've watched the current episode. I'm US West Coast so plenty of East Coasters have already seen it by the time I get up!

I've warned DH that it's back on because it means that I'll grab my morning coffee and then close the bedroom door and jump back into bed to watch, rather than sitting with him in the living room. He knows better than to open the bedroom door when THT is on!!!

Freshlysteamed, I think you've captured the essence of Cdr L very well! He started something that he now can't control and sees clearly how horrific Gilead society is. Especially since his own wife would (probably) be 'disposed of' as I'm sure they don't tolerate mental illness. But yet, he wants the power and the 'benefits' that Gilead hands to men. And I think he justifies it to himself as needing it to protect Mrs L.

He's running with the hares (resistance) and hunting with the hounds (Gilead). But he'll throw either or both under the bus to protect his wife. June and the Martha Network need to remember this!

beanaseireann Sun 09-Jun-19 16:46:30

A few questions you might be able to answer please :
Why was the Waterfords house burned down- has Mrs W gone a bit dolally ?

What did she pour down the sink ?

Why did Cmdr Lawrence bring Offred back to the Waterfords house ?

BG2015 Sun 09-Jun-19 17:10:36

Beans

I didn't watch it all in one go. Watched 1 & 2 on Wednesday and the third on Thursday.

Serena poured the alcohol she was using on her finger onto the bed - and then set fire to it, I presume as an act of defiance or desperation.

He bought Offred back as that is her home and she's still Of Fred until assigned a new commander.

beanaseireann Sun 09-Jun-19 20:47:12

Thank you BG2015

AcrossthePond55 Sun 09-Jun-19 20:55:13

June is now Ofjoseph as she's been assigned to Cdr L, at his request.

Wevebeensentgoodweather Sun 09-Jun-19 21:59:32

I think Mrs Lawrence is putting on an act and she plays a big part in the resistance. Look at how quick she snapped into action when the guardians came over.

Also interested to see how Nicks story is going to go since hes now been promoted shock

BG2015 Sun 09-Jun-19 22:20:04

I thought that too about Mrs Lawrence. That's why I thought it was her planting the flowers to cover up the mound of earth.

It would be an interesting twist if so!

Handmaid2019 Sun 09-Jun-19 22:36:03

Agree about Mrs Lawrence, she's an interesting character!

xiona75 Mon 10-Jun-19 06:30:17

Looking forward to the new episode! June is getting her women's network together-loved the part where she selected a crack team from the choice she was given. Can't wait to see what happens next

beanaseireann Mon 10-Jun-19 09:26:21

How did the Martha die ?
I was distracted, missed that bit and deleted the episode before I got a chance to rewatch.

beanaseireann Mon 10-Jun-19 17:37:57

Bumping

AcrossthePond55 Mon 10-Jun-19 18:33:42

She was shot during some resistance activity. I think they were trying to smuggle her or another Martha to freedom.

beanaseireann Mon 10-Jun-19 19:33:14

Thank you acrossthepond55

deelreal Mon 10-Jun-19 21:22:53

Hi does anyone know where I can watch this at USA pace please

arganlady Wed 12-Jun-19 17:53:53

Mrs L is definitely part of the resistance.

I loved Serena setting fire to the bed. No more handmaiden sex she was quite clearly saying.

Fred is being too nice. He's been an utter cunt up until now, this is either forgetful writing or he'll do something awful.

calpop Wed 12-Jun-19 20:40:09

I wish they'd give aunt Lydia's backstory. Thought they were going to at the end of ep4.

where has nick disappeared to? has he been given a new wife?

Can they get to them in Canada?

calpop Wed 12-Jun-19 20:40:17

I wish they'd give aunt Lydia's backstory. Thought they were going to at the end of ep4.

Can they get to them in Canada?

calpop Wed 12-Jun-19 20:40:17

BG2015 Wed 12-Jun-19 20:58:34

Just finished watching episode 4.

I think Fred is probably realising that women cannot just knit and plant gardens and be fulfilled - especially someone like Serena.

Aunt Lydia has lost it totally, how could she be so horrible.

I'm loving it!

ThunderOnlyHappens Wed 12-Jun-19 21:58:24

Managed to watch ep4 and feel like it's found it's feet again. Blessed be the fruit

AcrossthePond55 Wed 12-Jun-19 23:36:16

May the Lord open.

I think Fred really loves Serena (as much as he is capable), but he didn't realize how much until he realized that he was going to lose her. He's desperate to get her back. But now much for love of her and how much to retain his place in the power structure, who knows? And we all know what a good liar he is. He could be blowing smoke up Serena and June's skirts to get Serena back under his control and save his reputation.

Aunt L is losing it and I'm enjoying watching her struggle with the knowledge. She knows that if she cracks, it's off to the Colonies for her (or worse). She loves her 'status' just as much as the men do. It's why she's always so surprised when she's reminded of it, ie when she was politely directed away from the main reception at the Putnam's house.

June is gaining determination like a storm on the horizon.

applepineapple Thu 13-Jun-19 07:45:08

Thanks for linking me to this thread! Watched ep 4 last night. I really want to see and Aunt Lydia back story, poor Janine taking the brunt of her anger.

I was confused why June would say that it was Luke in the video, surely she's putting Nichole at risk as they could find her in Canada.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 13-Jun-19 11:15:16

I think she realized that they already knew it was them. They just wanted confirmation. To lie would have been to endanger herself and thus remove any chance of getting Hannah out.

arganlady Thu 13-Jun-19 12:47:48

Nick has been sent to the uprising in Chicago and made a commander I thought.

arganlady Thu 13-Jun-19 12:48:04

Last nights was hard to watch.

arganlady Thu 13-Jun-19 12:48:49

https://www.facebook.com/533426641/posts/10155914383336642?s=533426641&sfns=mo_
_
This made me cry a bit yesterday.

deelreal Thu 13-Jun-19 21:32:13

Are all you ladies for the USA if not how are you watching please. Dying to see episode 4.

applepineapple Thu 13-Jun-19 23:35:53

@deelreal this is the link I use. You do get pop ups and annoying ads though so be aware

https://ww4.watch-series.co/series/the-handmaids-tale-season-3-episode-4

ThunderOnlyHappens Fri 14-Jun-19 00:51:33

I watch through the Placenta add on to Kodi. It's very reliable as a stream.

7Days Fri 14-Jun-19 10:45:57

Is it ok to talk about ep 3 on this thread?

If so... that Commander Lawrence eh? What is he like?
Was he just putting on that prickish behaviour in front of the other Commanders?

Torvi Fri 14-Jun-19 13:20:18

I'm really worried that Luke, Moira and Nicole are in danger now sad

Handmaid2019 Fri 14-Jun-19 13:36:50

I feel the same Torvi. I'm sure Fred would have recognised Luke from when he was in Canada in season 2.

Serenajoy1 Fri 14-Jun-19 17:18:56

Just finished episode 4. What was that about at the end with the clip of Luke & Nicole? Are they going to try kidnap Nicole?

Serenajoy1 Fri 14-Jun-19 17:22:10

Oh & I'm watching on teatv app for those asking

AcrossthePond55 Fri 14-Jun-19 19:15:22

There is a trailer out there for Ep 5. I'm not going to detail it as it does contain spoilers.

AcrossthePond55 Fri 14-Jun-19 19:17:38

Google Handmaid trailer Ep 5 for the preview.

Again, it contains SPOILERS.

deelreal Fri 14-Jun-19 21:57:25

Thanks so much for giving me a link.

AcrossthePond55 Mon 17-Jun-19 15:20:59

The next episode for me will drop tomorrow night at 9pm, but I probably won't watch until Wednesday morning. Can't wait to discuss it!

BG2015 Wed 19-Jun-19 18:44:49

Just watched ep 5. Honestly it makes me so angry.

And I hate Serena all over again - once a bitch always a bitch eh.

LondonLandonLindon Wed 19-Jun-19 19:06:56

I’ve just watched it. Cried my eyes out at June’s phone call. I HATE Serena, such a horrible, nasty selfish bitch and hope she gets what’s coming to her.

Can’t wait for next week!

AcrossthePond55 Wed 19-Jun-19 20:43:24

I'm with you guys!!! Just when I get a bit of sympathy for Serena, she does something evil.

I thought the part with Mrs Cdr Lawrence (about the mix tapes) was so sweet. But she shut down when June tried to find out from her what 'side' he was truly on.

I wonder what's going to happen about Nichole. The Waterfords (and Gilead) are clearly trying to create an 'international incident'. It reminds me of the Elian Gonzales situation here some years back. So there is precedent for sending a child back to a more 'restrictive' society and the writers may be using that idea. And it is believed that Waterford is Nichole's bio father. So, on the face of it both bio parents (June and Waterford) are in Gilead and Luke has no true legal relationship with the child. June doesn't dare speak the truth (that Nick is her father) because she knows she'd end up on the wall. Nor does she dare speak out that she wants Luke to keep the baby in Canada. Watching this play out is going to be fascinating!

The look on June's face at the end! Pure unadulterated fury.

TanselleTooTall Thu 20-Jun-19 01:11:47

I'm confused.

Are the Waterfords trying to shit stir some kind of international tensions or something. Divide, create discord using Nicole as a sympathetic kidnapping story, in hopes it starts chaos/riots, or.....?

I can't quite translate what I saw.

xiona75 Thu 20-Jun-19 08:58:19

Surely Luke's move should be to do a blood test-if the child is not related to the Waterford's then she can't be sent back (but that would put June in danger too)

xiona75 Thu 20-Jun-19 09:04:44

https://youtu.be/K3K9pl1FirY trailer for next weeks episode!!!

AcrossthePond55 Thu 20-Jun-19 16:01:00

Tanselle I think that Serena just wants Nichole back at any cost. I also think that Gilead (& Fred) aren't above using the situation for political gain. But your post also made me wonder if instead the Waterfords are being used by TPTB to create an incident rather than being willing participants to it. It's not like they dare refuse.

xiona I mentioned in my post above that I don't think anyone will raise the issue of Nichole's paternity because of the danger to June. And Serena daren't because it would mean that Fred has no claim to Nichole. Not to mention implicating herself in the deception.

I haven't watched the trailer yet. I actually try not to watch them for fear of spoiling my idea of what's going to happen. But I usually break down and I'll probably watch it over the weekend.🙄

BlondeBumshelll Fri 21-Jun-19 00:05:15

Why the hell would Canada just send Nicole back when Gilead has literally kidnapped thousands of women and children themselves? I just don't get why that would happen.

I'm not loving this season at all. It seems to be too far from the origins of what a handmaid was. June has too much power in general and too much hold over the Waterford's.

calpop Fri 21-Jun-19 00:41:22

me too. Its stretching credibility a bit that the Canadians, and indeed Luke, wouldn't be on TV going no, fuck you, give us our 1000s of citizens illegally held against their will back, give me my wife back.

AcrossthePond55 Fri 21-Jun-19 00:57:32

I don't think its as farfetched as it seems, Blonde. Lots of people thought that Elian Gonzales shouldn't be sent back to Cuba because it was a 'repressive commie regime' but he was. Because his bio father had the preeminent legal claim to him over the relatives in the US (uncles/cousins). Simply because the US was the 'better' place to live it didn't mean that international law could be ignored. As far as the world knows, both of Nichole's parents are in Gilead which, following international law, would mean that she should be returned. I think this particular storyline will be pretty fascinating.

My main gripe about it is that Luke should have known better than to have Nichole out at a public protest, much less show her on camera. He knew what the score was from Emily. What on earth possessed him to do that? Any sensible person would never have put her out in the public eye like that!

Has it been stated on the show that people other than US citizens are being held? I was under the impression that foreign nationals left Gilead in droves (ie Emily's wife & the airport scene of mass departures in Season 1) and that only US citizens were refused permission to leave.

xiona75 Fri 21-Jun-19 10:22:24

@AcrossthePond55 yeah I think you are right on that!

Good luck on resisting the preview smile I will remember and not post temptation again!

AcrossthePond55 Fri 21-Jun-19 12:58:14

It's fine to post the preview Xiona.

Just because I'm weak doesn't mean you shouldn't. lol

Serenajoy1 Sat 22-Jun-19 22:54:05

Ok a few questions after episode 5. During the meeting with Serena Luke seemed to soften after she said I'm protecting your wife, why did she say that? Also how did luke get that tape? Was it in the necklace box? What was the package Serena received from Rita? She seemed to be looking at something in her bag on the plane home, looked like that package & a mobile phone...?

Serenajoy1 Sat 22-Jun-19 22:56:03

And of course why the hell is Serena trying to now get Nicole back after telling her husband after she came back "its over now"

Serenajoy1 Sun 23-Jun-19 12:55:12

And one more! Why did they include June in their broadcast when she is not their handmaid anymore...

TanselleTooTall Sun 23-Jun-19 21:29:50

No she's not, but she did birth Nicole.

Wevebeensentgoodweather Sun 23-Jun-19 21:51:57

It was a napkin that had a message about the phone, cant remember what it said. Think we're supposed to guess Hawaii guy put it there and she gave him the package for Luke that had the tape in it

AcrossthePond55 Sun 23-Jun-19 22:55:40

Thanks Wevebeen, that answered a few of my questions, too.

xiona75 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:57:10

Anyone seen the new episode yet?!? Omg!

SilverNewMoon Wed 26-Jun-19 12:08:21

I don't know if I can carry on with this show. There seems to be little hope

xiona75 Wed 26-Jun-19 13:55:03

I had the same reaction as June to the hand maids with their mouths stapled shut! And finding out nick was a soldier in the crusades totally blue my mind. Poor June has been shafted yet again and I felt like my heart hit the bottom of my stomach

AcrossthePond55 Wed 26-Jun-19 13:56:49

The thing about Nick has me gobsmacked. I don't completely 'get' what happened. OK, so he was a Gilead soldier, but that can't be the sole reason he's so 'untrustworthy', right? There must be more to it than that. Did I miss a piece of dialogue? And are the writers now saying that he's been pro-Gilead this whole time and has just been leading June on? For what purpose? I can't buy that! But those soldiers certainly snapped to attention and looked afraid of him when he walked down the line as if they didn't want to get on his bad side.

TBH, I can't see anything about the PR films Fred's doing that would make me (if I were a politician in another country) want to send a child back to Gilead. All those handmaids (especially with mouths covered) kneeling in unison would have the opposite effect!

What did you all think about that 'touchy feely' scene in the billiards room with the Cdr & Fred in Wash DC?

AcrossthePond55 Wed 26-Jun-19 13:58:07

Not to mention the scene between June and Aunt Lydia. Another time where you unexpectedly feel sympathy for an unsympathetic
character!

xiona75 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:08:19

The cmdr making a pass at Fred was so bizarre...he's going to have to decide wether his juicy post in Washington is worth a casting couch session or two I reckon!
And yes,the unexpected tenderness between aunt Lydia and June was a total mindfuck. I do
Hope we get her back story at some
Point!

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Wed 26-Jun-19 14:23:45

The mouth rings were horrendous, it's like Gilead on steroids in DC!

AcrossthePond55 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:25:38

That's what I thought about that scene, too, xiona, that the Cdr was 'feeling Fred out' (no pun intended) to see if he'd respond in any way to his overture. You could tell that Fred was creeped out and a bit concerned. I hope the Cdr DOES propose a 'quid pro quo' or tries something 'physical' with Fred. It looks like that Cdr is powerful enough that Fred may not actually be able to refuse for fear of 'reprisals'. Good!!! Let Fred feel what it's like to be treated a piece of meat!!!

I'd love to hear/see Aunt L's story. It could go so many ways!

BBQ, it was horrifying. I wonder about the 'backstory' on that. Why in DC, but (apparently) nowhere else. At least not in the Boston area.

BG2015 Wed 26-Jun-19 20:33:07

I'm not enjoying it as much as previous seasons

It's all a bit bleak

SilverNewMoon Wed 26-Jun-19 21:00:31

I just can't see it having a happy ending. I doubt June and Hannah will get to Canada, one or both will die

Wevebeensentgoodweather Wed 26-Jun-19 21:05:36

We didnt see Nick's interview with the Swiss so maybe he has made a deal with them.. also all the soldiers snapping to attention for him may end up being a good thing.. clutching at strawsgrin Thought there was going to be hope this season but its fading away. I was also hoping one of the handmaids would pull the mouth cover down infront of the live broadcast to show the rings!! sad

AcrossthePond55 Thu 27-Jun-19 02:53:24

I agree it's a bit bleak so far, but I'm hoping it's just the arc of the storyline. You know, darkest before the dawn. There are 13 episodes and we just got to #6, so halfway. Still plenty of time for things to change and the rebellion/resistance to strengthen.

KitKat1985 Thu 27-Jun-19 06:18:55

Very interesting bit with the commanders playing snooker. Wonder if Fred will continue with this for his big promotion?

I found the mouth rings pretty awful. Found myself feeling a bit nauseous at that scene.

Not sure what to make of Aunt Lydia right now. Is she having regrets?

Does anyone know how many series Hulu are planning to make of the Handmaids tale? I'm hoping the producers don't make the same mistake that they did with 'lost' etc and drag it on series after series with no clear way of wrapping it up.

Wevebeensentgoodweather Thu 27-Jun-19 06:51:48

We get Aunt Lydias back story on episode 8 so that should be interesting!!

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Thu 27-Jun-19 09:30:24

So looking forward to watching Aunt Lydia's back story. She seemed almost Human this episode after beating Janine previously.

Pomgirl Thu 27-Jun-19 13:40:52

Can’t wait for Aunt Lydias story! I’m guessing lonely religious cat lady...

AcrossthePond55 Thu 27-Jun-19 15:09:38

That great wevebeen! I'm looking forward to EP 8! Do you mind telling (without spoilers of course) where you heard that? I try not to Google around too much for fear of spoilers!

AL is such a complex character in her simplicity ('all for Gilead') that I zig zag on my thoughts of 'who she is'. Someone intelligent, like Serena, who was caught up in the initial idea of a 'God fearing' society and has now been brainwashed? Or just someone sadistic who is now in a position to give rein to her need to control?

Kitkat IIRC someone (maybe here?) said that they'd heard that there is thought of 10 seasons. I just don't think they'd be able to sustain that many and not resort to increasing sensationalism.

Wevebeensentgoodweather Thu 27-Jun-19 16:22:57

I'm in a handmaids tale discussion group on Facebook and it was posted on there! Ann Dowd confirmed it in an interview if I remember correctly.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 27-Jun-19 16:41:39

NICE! Sounds like a reliable source. Can't wait.

HearMeSnore Thu 27-Jun-19 23:39:58

Very interesting development with Fred and the touchy touchy supreme commander. I wonder what Fred would/wouldn't do to get his cushy Washington job? Especially when "gender traitors" end up on the wall.

Not all that shocked to hear of Nick's background, really. He's always been a dark horse. We know he was an "Eye", and I think there was a flashback in the first season where we saw him getting offered a job by one of the architects of Gilead. Whether his heart was ever in it is another matter. I think he's kind of a Snape character - we won't know his whole story or true motivations until the end - or at least until he dies.

And Aunt Lydia. Loathsome old hag. I think she did something terrible in the past, or made some catastrophic mistake, and is now desperately trying to make up for it. My money's on her being a former midwife who made a professional error that led to the death of a baby. Great news that we find out in Ep8!

Serenajoy1 Thu 27-Jun-19 23:53:01

Not too much actually happened in this episode. The Nick thing didn't shock me at all, I think nick is just trying to get by, I don't think there's anything shady about him. He's just trying to survive like June. The mouths thing was more reminiscent of season 1. I liked it but all I could think was how do they eat??? hmm

SilverNewMoon Fri 28-Jun-19 00:10:55

I hadn't thought about how they eat until now, maybe they take them off for specific eating times?

Re. Aunt Lydia, it was previously alluded to that something happened to her god child wasn't it? She said 'it wasn't my fault', without explaining what 'it' was. I'm betting her back story is something to do with this.

xiona75 Fri 28-Jun-19 07:47:40

@Serenajoy1 I too have been puzzling on how they eat?

AcrossthePond55 Fri 28-Jun-19 13:12:55

Liquid diet? Smoothies?

xiona75 Fri 28-Jun-19 14:04:41

Drip
Overnight?

SilverNewMoon Fri 28-Jun-19 14:11:21

I read an interview somewhere saying vows of silence and the rings are 'voluntary', but all handmaid's are pressured into doing it so it isn't really. So I assume they can be taken out like earrings for eating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »