Page 2 | The Chase - Giving me the Rage

(104 Posts)
Rafflesway Fri 31-May-19 17:41:27

I know I am probably being very unreasonable to many but am I the only person who absolutely HATES contestants who take a minus figure to get through?

They always come up with the pathetic reason, "It's more important for me to get back for the team." "We'll actually love, if you aren't flaming well good enough to get through by contributing then we don't need you" would be my response.

Personally, I think if they take a minus figure and the team wins the final chase then the minus figure should be deducted from the wussy contestant's winnings. I wonder how many of the wusses selfish bastards would take the minus figure if that was the case?

Rant over and yes I am probably a bit of a saddo for watching in the first place. grin

OP’s posts: |
anitagreen Tue 11-Jun-19 13:00:00

@HollowTalk I'll have a look now I hope it is on there it's hilarious poor guy

TheBabyAteMyBrain Tue 11-Jun-19 13:05:36

There was one episode where a bloke took the minus offer and his team mates were mega pissed, but then he answered pretty much every question in the Final Chase and they won because of him.

But yeah, taking the minus offer would really annoy the crap outta me if I had already won my part of the pot.

anitagreen Tue 11-Jun-19 13:06:18

I can't find it but just found some articles about a girl who got no questions right at all on the cash builder managed to take a minus offer and get through to the final and take home 21k shock

Vilanelle Tue 11-Jun-19 13:15:06

Most annoying part of this show is how long it takes Bradley to say Cooorrrrrrreeeeect during the quick fire round. RAGE.

Stop taking so long and I could answer more fucking questions!

SegregateMumBev Tue 11-Jun-19 13:15:37

See, I totally disagree. It is CRUCIAL to have as many people in the final round as possible, that extra step makes all the difference. If the differential between the middle offer and the low offer is around £2k, that's a drop of only £500 per person if 4 in the final, with a much improved chance of winning. I get crosser with the bravado types going for the higher offer. But hey, they're making a TV programme, incensing viewers is what they want smile

HollowTalk Tue 11-Jun-19 13:32:57

But I'd be pissed off if I took the risk, took the higher offer, got back to the final chase but someone else on the panel took a minus offer and then didn't get any correct answers in the final chase. I've always thought it's a good job they are strangers because families would split up if it all went wrong!

ellenanora5 Tue 11-Jun-19 14:09:48

I think I remember that one anita, the first contestant was disgusted that the last one took a minus, he folded his arms and looked away, Bradley even remarked how he looked like he was fuming.

When they lost the last contestant said "well some of us aren't team players".

Can you imagine the atmosphere back stage!

I was watching an old one yesterday and only one lady got to the final, what annoyed me was she got twenty steps which was brilliant, but when Bradley was asking the Beast his questions he asked them much quicker, which is something my son has always pointed out but I never really noticed until yesterday.

Vilanelle, that is exactly what he says, it's the way Bradley says correct.

anitagreen Tue 11-Jun-19 15:12:42

@ellenanora5 That's the one!!! He had a ponytail also if I remember and he turned his back and refused to help I feel bad now for laughing but at the time I thought it was hilarious his poor team lol

Shelvesoutofbooks Tue 11-Jun-19 15:22:15

I am wondering - what if all the contestants received minus offers as the low offers and they all accepted it? Would they have to pay money back to itv? grin

nothingtowearever Tue 11-Jun-19 16:11:10

It's a lot different when you're up there and they might of been told to take the minus. I took the low offer (£1000). It's edited ALOT

SegregateMumBev Tue 11-Jun-19 16:18:42

I don't think the chasers offer minus amounts for the first contestant - I'm guessing there's a rule that they can't make an offer which would wipe out the communal pot of money.

RedForShort Tue 11-Jun-19 16:20:15

I'm with you Rafflesway. Low offer is OK if it's not too low. A minus is criminal and should be accompanied by a public flogging.

RedForShort Tue 11-Jun-19 16:30:47

Minus tends to be the last contestants.

The high and low tend to connected somehow, either to each other, the pot or cash build.

So if they have cash built £2,000 the pot is €9,000 they offer £31,000 as the high and minus £4,000 as low.

Or cash build is £7,000, pot €12,000 they offer £77,000 high and £700 low.

xsquared Tue 11-Jun-19 16:37:28

Ooh inside information nothingtowearever. Who did you get as the chaser?

Going for the lower offer if it's still
positive is ok but I can't stand people who go for the minus and undo their team mates' hard work, after telling them to go high.

nothingtowearever Tue 11-Jun-19 17:02:33

I had Jenny and she was absolutely lovely!

HollowTalk Tue 11-Jun-19 17:33:10

Did your team beat Jenny?

HollowTalk Tue 11-Jun-19 17:33:38

Is it true that there isn't an audience? I'm sure someone said that on here the other day.

SegregateMumBev Tue 11-Jun-19 18:22:23

Analysis of tonight's show:

Player 1, offered 1,4,16, went for mid offer, through on final question.
Player 2, offered 300, 3, 33, took mid offer, caught on 1 remaining (ie would have been through with the low offer)
Player 3, offered 1,4,46, took mid offer, lost by 3, even with Shaun making stupid mistakes. Might have got through on the low offer, but not certain.
Player 4, offered 1,4,66 took 66, and got through easily!

So they are 2 steps ahead for £70k. Get 15. 5 pushbacks, 4 executed. Shaun catches them at the last second.

Post match summary: Player 2 should have taken the low offer. An extra step, plus extra knowledge in the final would have seen them win.

DaveCoachesgavemetheclap Tue 11-Jun-19 20:03:31

I don't know why I watch The Chase because most of it gives me the rage. Every sodding show Bradley says "We're gonna need some pushbacks! "
And why they have called Jenny The Vixen is beyond me. confused

HollowTalk Tue 11-Jun-19 20:38:37

I thought he meant Jenny was foxy, DaveCoaches!

RedForShort Tue 11-Jun-19 20:54:05

When and on what channel is the latest most current ones?

I'm never too sure what I'm watching!!!

DaveCoachesgavemetheclap Tue 11-Jun-19 21:10:04

Yes, I get the reference but she doesn't look very foxy to me.

SegregateMumBev Tue 11-Jun-19 21:53:16

The latest ones are at 5 o'clock each day on itv. If you miss it you can get it on plus 1. And there's any amount of older shows aired on the quiz channel and others.

iklboo Tue 11-Jun-19 22:02:42

Yes it's true there's no audience. They use canned laughter etc. There's just the contestants, Brad, The Chaser and the floor crew.

AllTheCakes Tue 11-Jun-19 22:14:01

I get annoyed when Bradley says “you’re a better player than that” to almost every contestant who has a poor cash builder.

The chaser is always at a huge advantage in the final chase as they don’t have to press the buzzer to answer. A lot of the time contestants are caught as they have taken too long waiting for each other to buzz in with an answer.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in