Talk

Advanced search

The Virtues

(172 Posts)
BitOfFun Wed 15-May-19 21:20:43

My heart is breaking already sad

I think this is going to be brilliant- I love Stephen Graham.

Dulra Wed 22-May-19 22:10:27

CallyMollyMindy assume he was a boy in the children's home and remembers joe. He said he remembers him there one minute and gone the next. He's broken too no doubt more about what happened them at the homr will start to come out sad

ILoveMaxiBondi Wed 22-May-19 22:17:13

its a really hard watch.

SavageBeauty73 Wed 22-May-19 22:35:03

I didn't feel strong enough to watch tonight!

AnyFucker Wed 22-May-19 22:45:12

ASauvignonADay Wed 22-May-19 22:52:04

I want to give Stephen graham a big hug. He is fucking brilliant.

BitOfFun Wed 22-May-19 23:23:44

Another tough but brilliantly acted episode.

augustusglupe Wed 22-May-19 23:52:47

BRILLIANT!!!! Best drama in ages!

TeachesOfPeaches Thu 23-May-19 13:12:28

I read in the newspaper that Shane Meadows based this tv show on his own experience of child abuse sad

Incredible viewing.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 23-May-19 13:44:42

I think this is England was also based on his own childhood too. Or some of it was.

TeachesOfPeaches Thu 23-May-19 14:05:02

It's so sad, I've been crying lots!

Rollergirl11 Thu 23-May-19 21:50:35

The building site guy said something like “I won’t tell anyone don’t worry” to Joe. I think this has a real vibe of Dead Mans Shoes about it (the film Shane Meadows directed with Paddy Considine and Toby Kibble). I wonder if Joe did something bad (along with others) in the boys home and that’s why he took off.

purpleme12 Thu 23-May-19 21:58:02

I can't quite work out what's gone in the past yet to be honest

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 23-May-19 22:04:32

Rollergirl I think you’re right. In last nights episode when the flashback was showing Anna as a child about to get into the car to leave joe the man talking to her was saying something like “you know what your brother is like”. It sounded like they were justifying not taking him too because of whatever his behaviour was.

It was horrifying hearing that he was 9 when he ran away from the boys home and went to Liverpool! 9!! I have a 9yo. The thought of him being out there alone and making that trip! shock

SapatSea Fri 24-May-19 11:46:01

Utterly heartbreaking.

SapatSea Fri 24-May-19 18:22:36

I think the building site guy seemed relieved that Joe was alive, like it had haunted him that whatever had happened to Joe had lead to his death.

SavageBeauty73 Fri 24-May-19 20:52:05

A friend of mine is playing Joe's brother in law!

PineapplePatty Fri 24-May-19 23:56:59

I'm really disappointed. We love him usually but gave up after half an hour of the second episode.

It's just way too slooooooow.

StayAChild Sun 26-May-19 08:25:21

Started watching first episode last night. We gave up when he woke up on the floor covered in sick because it was obvious that was going to go on for a long time.

Each scene lasted far, far too long, especially the leaving the pub scene. I'm sure that is the desired effect, but we couldn't stomach how slow it was. Shame, because it looks like a good story and his acting is brilliant, particularly the scene in his son's bedroom; so good in fact that it's more like a real time documentary.

PollyShelby Sun 26-May-19 10:41:05

@StayAChild I agree with you, the slowness is typical of Shane Meadows but the balance is wrong - made it too tedious and boring to continue. The second one was worse.

WeWantSweet Sun 26-May-19 19:34:28

Agree with the unnecessary slowness comments, but it still delivers an emotional punch in the guts. That scene where his sister slowly realised who he was had me tearing up.

colouringinpro Wed 29-May-19 21:04:42

Awfully sad already.

EmmaC78 Wed 29-May-19 21:32:36

I am still finding it incredibly slow. I am not sure I can watch another episode.

GraceMarks Wed 29-May-19 21:44:18

Tonight is another tough watch. I keep laughing and then feeling guilty, because it's not funny really but it's just the way they say things. Youth-club-quality tits is my new favourite phrase!

I think what Shane Meadows does so well is the creeping feeling that something really bad is about to happen any minute. With Joe, there is obviously going to be something to do with abuse, but I'm worried it's going to turn out that he was a perpetrator. It would be so devastating to find that out after we've got invested in him and his story.

Dulra Wed 29-May-19 22:10:28

Oh GraceMarks I hope you're wrong that would be difficult to come to terms with after feeling devastated for him for so long.

I agree it is slow but life generally is, things don't move at a fast pace. The acting is superb and you feel everything with them...anger shame embarrassment sorrow. Don't know where it is going to go but I am interested to know so will stick with it even though it can be uncomfortable viewing at times

BitOfFun Wed 29-May-19 22:20:17

There's only one more after tonight's.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »