Talk

Advanced search

Mum Series 3???

(150 Posts)
Escapinginthecar Fri 19-Apr-19 16:49:36

Must be starting soon surely?
They've put series 1 and 2 on iplayer which is a good sign......
Can't wait!!

WheresThatCatGoneNow Wed 29-May-19 15:21:56

Are digestives really that good for quelling nausea? I assume that's why Kelly is noshing them down in practically every scene hmm

I would have thought something completely plain, like water biscuits or dry crackers, would be far more effective

OhDearGodLookAtThisMess Sat 25-May-19 15:02:39

When I first came across Series One, I immediately texted my sister to tell her I'd seen our sil on TV (Pauline).
"You're watching 'Mum,'" she replied.
It's uncanny.

diddl Sat 25-May-19 14:32:22

I loved Pauline's outfit in the last episode.

How Cathy didn't scream at Jason to stfu though & that he did know her own mind-not her way though.

I'm thinking that her & Derek's parents must have been pretty awful for them still to be involving her ILs.

Reg saying that the baby would be ugly & thick-well not from Cathy-so must have been through Dave!

Pretty awful that all they could say about their own son was that he was confident & a good laugh.

waspsontoast Sat 25-May-19 13:04:28

The Friday episode is the best telly that I have ever seen. The way that Jason's character has been built up, with increasingly vicious digs at Michael to the scene where he eventually shares his grief with his Mum, was genius. If if doesn't win every possible award next year it will be a travesty.

diddl Fri 24-May-19 21:44:19

I've watched 4 so far.

Can't find anything likeable about Pauline at all.

Or Jason atm.

The way he speaks to Michael is fucking awful.

"You used to know your place"-wtaf??

Kelly though-used to really piss me off-still does a bit.

But when she told Jason that he was being a bellendgrin

And was nice about Cathy falling asleep against Michael.

TeachesOfPeaches Thu 23-May-19 12:40:00

I'm watching the whole thing from the very beginning now I've seen the end and it's even more lovely now you can see the little clues.

I detest Pauline! She just uses Derek to feel wanted since her husband dumped her. You can see throughout the series she tries to get back with the ex.

Medievalist Thu 23-May-19 10:29:42

Countfosco - totally agree! I am often Pauline in my head (but hopefully less so in real life). In my head I might snarl "plate!!" at DH, but it comes out in a (slightly) less aggressive format!

desperatehousewife21 Thu 23-May-19 10:17:51

Watching ep 2 now. I’m being good watching 1 a week! grin

The old guy (in law) looking for a ‘p’ on the iPad.
Jason eating that sausage out the fridge.
Kelly saying ‘fuck off’ when Cathy went to hug her.
Derek getting his wellies off and everyone congratulating him.
£40 to look at the moon.
Even the little things like how/ where they all parked their cars. Pauline’s right outside the big double garage. Jason’s just dumped in the middle and Michael’s nice and neat in a proper space.
Cathy and Derek’s hug sad

Brilliant.

CountFosco Sun 19-May-19 18:32:23

I think also I am Pauline sometimes

I think this is the genius of it though, in some comedies she would be a grotesque caricature but here we can identify parts of ourselves in her that make her sympathetic even when she's being awful. And that gives it more heart.

Anyway, spoilers thread time for me!

LatinforTelly Sun 19-May-19 14:50:02

Finished! Watched it in two batches but will need to watch it again I think. Think the series got better towards the end - masterful acting. Now will head over to the spoiler thread!

AllGoodDogs has reminded me of Pauline and Kelly in series 1 or 2.
K: Oh you work in a supermarket too!
P: No I don't
K: Yes! Waitrose is a supermarket!
P: No, it isn't.

grin

TeachesOfPeaches Sun 19-May-19 10:44:04

I think series 3 was great! Also a huge fan of Him and Her smile

EleanorReally Sun 19-May-19 09:47:45

I think also I am Pauline sometimes blush

EleanorReally Sun 19-May-19 09:46:54

sad
smile

finished, happy tears

desperatehousewife21 Sun 19-May-19 08:49:52

Yeah I’ve only seen episode 1....hmm

viques Sat 18-May-19 12:00:15

HI, just a reminder that there is a tell it all spoilers thread for those of a weak disposition (like me) who have binge watched the whole of series three.

Come on over and tell us your best bits.

spiderlight Sat 18-May-19 11:41:26

They can do more with silence than a lot of shows do with an entire spoken scene. Just so beautifully done.

I love how tightly put together the opening sequences are, as well. Tiny little details like Cathy's phone pinging exactly in time with the music. The whole thing is just a masterpiece.

The80sweregreat Sat 18-May-19 10:49:10

Grief can change a person more than any other type of emotion.
its true what Cathy said to Maureen, for the deceased time stands still, but the ones that are left behind have to carry on.
You sometimes never get over it, but you just have to learn to live with it.
Jason also broke my heart when he told Kelly, i want to be proud of the baby, not wish it was more like I am - his talking about his own dad here of course. He may have been an idiot at times and spiteful, but his not a bad person deep down , even if his view of the world is a bit skewed at times! Derek and Kelly getting on so well was also lovely.
They kept on opening up that dishwasher, only to find it was already on! some subtle touches like that made me smile. i also loved the silences. very poignant.

mumblechum0 Sat 18-May-19 10:19:08

I loved her description of grief, that sometimes it's right next to you, other times it's a mile away, but it's always there.
I love the use of silence, it's so rare to get that in a 30 minute tv show

southeastdweller Sat 18-May-19 09:13:08

I gave into temptation and watched the entire six episodes over the past two days. It's as good as you're all saying, more deeper with the characterisations and better for it.

AllGoodDogs Fri 17-May-19 23:03:51

@CountFosco I have committed to be nicer to DH. He's very affectionate and I'm not, I probably come across quite cold to him sometimes.

CountFosco Fri 17-May-19 23:01:57

I think I am Pauline at times blush.

The80sweregreat Fri 17-May-19 22:26:23

I know / have known a few Pauline's!

nowifi Fri 17-May-19 22:20:47

I bet so many people watch it and think the characters remind them of people in their own life. Dereck reminds me of my own brother grin

AllGoodDogs Fri 17-May-19 22:10:42

Oh I loved him & her. Russel Tovey 😍

The80sweregreat Fri 17-May-19 21:21:07

If we read this thread enough it'll make us a latte! Boom boom

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »