Talk

Advanced search

Mum Series 3???

(150 Posts)
Escapinginthecar Fri 19-Apr-19 16:49:36

Must be starting soon surely?
They've put series 1 and 2 on iplayer which is a good sign......
Can't wait!!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 19-Apr-19 16:51:37

Hope so!

Escapinginthecar Fri 19-Apr-19 17:36:46

Watching them all again, it's even funnier!
Clever writing, fantastic acting - it's calming me down on a hectic hot daysmile

MadisonAvenue Fri 19-Apr-19 18:03:50

I think it was Lisa McGrillis who said on Instagram earlier this week that series 3 starts soon, I know she put a video up of her and 'Jason' when they were filming it and that was months ago.

I've started rewatching them all this afternoon on iPlayer, it's so well written and acted and I'd forgotten how funny it was.

Cheekyfeckery Fri 19-Apr-19 18:05:47

I just love this show.

Can’t wait.

Livedandlearned Fri 19-Apr-19 18:07:40

I've been checking iplayer loads for series 3. I love it too.

The80sweregreat Fri 19-Apr-19 18:17:44

I hope it's as good as the other two!
Love this show.

mum2jakie Fri 19-Apr-19 18:21:24

Thanks for the tip off. Can't wait to watch the first two series again. Fantastic programme!

CountFosco Tue 23-Apr-19 23:20:42

Love this show.

KellyMarieTunstall2 Wed 24-Apr-19 13:22:03

I'm really looking forward to this

LizzieMacQueen Wed 24-Apr-19 14:53:46

Will it feature on iPlayer as a complete boxset do you think or will it be the more traditional one a week format.

I used to sneer at the Netflix approach but for these subtle dramas it can be better to watch a couple in a row.

I'm quite enjoying the 'Don't forget the driver' which has a similar feel to Mum.

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Tue 30-Apr-19 20:43:34

Glad to see there's a third series. I've just binge watched the first two series, need to see how everyone is!

viques Thu 02-May-19 16:20:59

Right, I have rewatched and am all up to date and am sitting on my new garden chairs ready for the new series.

I had forgotten about Reg and Maureen (Moreen if you are Kelly!) Reg is such an old fart but so tender towards Maureen, ,placing cushions for her, putting blankets over her, you almost miss the subtle portrayal of their relationship because you get caught up with the others.

Will Pauline still be not a snob, or will she have mellowed now she has discovered she likes bad boys?

Is Kelly a branch manager yet? Have they actually moved into a flat , I bet not.

Have Michael and Cath taken it to the next level and shared a plate of IKEA meatballs?

How much time has elapsed, what month is it.........

Will we ever find out what work next door were having done that needed scaffolding, it wasn't an extension, doesn't look like a new roof, maybe they went up into the attic, must look out for velux.

viques Thu 02-May-19 16:25:39

And the eating! I didn't notice the first time round, but OMG, constant snacking, sweeties, lollipops, Pringles, crisps. The Easter episode had me in stitches, I kpet thinking of the poor actors having to do retakes.

Kinraddie Sat 04-May-19 12:22:31

Wednesday 15th May!!! Series 3

The80sweregreat Sat 04-May-19 12:43:45

I hope it's not a ' let down' and as good as before. I think that her son will not be happy if she does have a relationship with Pete ( I think
That's his name? ) as he will see it as being unfaithful to his dead dad. Even if their marriage wasn't always perfect ( it's been hinted at!) he only saw the good times.

The80sweregreat Sat 04-May-19 12:44:29

It's Michael not pete.

CountFosco Sat 04-May-19 12:54:14

Trailer, may a spoiler depending how fussy you are about such things. And here's an interesting article from the Guardian written at the end of the last series.

Livedandlearned Sun 05-May-19 14:28:56

Omg can't wait now I've seen that trailer! Thanks @CountFosco

HermioneWeasley Sun 05-May-19 14:31:39

Fantastic, looking forward to that

professorpecked Sun 05-May-19 14:34:09

That looks fantastic. Love Pauline!

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Sun 05-May-19 14:36:27

Really looking forward to the new series. Not long now.

The80sweregreat Sun 05-May-19 15:04:08

Pauline has not altered then!

AppleKatie Sun 05-May-19 17:44:10

Is there a date for the new series?

Escapinginthecar Sun 05-May-19 18:45:59

Weds 15th 10pm.
With all the episodes on iplayer afterwards which is great because I can't watch just one and wait another week for the next!! Think my patience has gone in my late 40's or I've got greedy!
Was trying to think of my favourite character but they're all fabulous- hard to choose but maybe Derek, Cathy's brother.
Stunning show....and if series 3 turns out to be less goodshock it doesn't matter, they're like family nowgrin

AppleKatie Sun 05-May-19 19:36:56

Excellent! DH is our that night so I shall have a binge 😃

LizzieMacQueen Sun 05-May-19 20:13:07

Pauline is fab.

I'm watching S2 and,the one where she's got her wrist in plaster, when she says to what'shisname, the son, 'it's 100 times worse than your mum's'.

I'm not phrasing that well but it was good. I also like Reg.

nowifi Mon 06-May-19 00:03:13

Pauline is just too much isn't she! I can't wait for next week now, also going to be so sad when it is finished but so wanting Kathy and Michael to end up together. In the last episode of series 2 where they were holding hands and Jason noticed he didn't look too pleased sad

LarryGreysonsDoor Mon 06-May-19 00:05:21

I loved it so much.
I hope that in a good way this is the last series though. I think the stories will have been told.

CountFosco Mon 06-May-19 16:46:12

The Guardian article upthread may answer some questions you might have wink

diddl Tue 07-May-19 17:06:55

Ooh!

Has Pauline got a pool?grin

Medievalist Tue 07-May-19 21:09:40

Love this series!

CountFosco Fri 10-May-19 07:35:14

Another article with mild spoilers here. Getting excited now!

viques Fri 10-May-19 11:33:58

There will be loose ends! Oh dear. Never mind, an opportunity for a little MN creative imagining I think. I do hope Reg and Maureen have been invited.

Bit sad that the action takes place over a week, I think one of the special things about this series was the sense of time as Cathy moved through her grief and relationships and lives changed gradually.

BuckingFrolics Fri 10-May-19 12:07:53

I stumbled upon Mum three weeks ago and loved loved it. Yay to a third season.

But is Cathy a doormat or an incredibly tolerant and kind woman?

spiderlight Fri 10-May-19 17:20:27

Can't wait - I've loved Mum since the first episode and genuinely think it's one of the best things I've ever watched.

nowifi Fri 10-May-19 21:22:43

I can't wait now, don't know wether to watch it all in one go or not! Kind of feel like it is doing it a disservice! Also thinking that this and Fleabag are 2 of the best programmes I've ever seen but think Mum just edges it for me!

BuildingQuote Fri 10-May-19 21:35:33

I think Cathy is a bit of both Buckingfrolics. I can see the doormat argument but to me she overwhelmingly rises above everything and is so cool somehow - and v tolerant as Pauline, Kelly, Reg etc are hilarious.
Glad not the only one to rewatch as I love the subtleties 😀

The80sweregreat Sun 12-May-19 18:31:30

Cathy is just nice and decent isnt she, but she can make it known when she isnt happy at times as well, just a bit more subtle about it.
She knows that Pauline is basically insecure. she is very good at reading situations. She is lovely.

spiderlight Wed 15-May-19 15:50:35

IT'S TONIGHT!!!!!

Livedandlearned Wed 15-May-19 16:10:17

So looking forward to seeing what happens next!

I'm tempted to binge watch the whole lot but that also takes away having a programme to look forward to every week.

ellenanora5 Wed 15-May-19 16:46:46

I love this so much, looking forward to it, I can't get iplayer sad so I'll have to wait and watch week to week.

viques Wed 15-May-19 17:54:23

livedandlearned I'm thinking I might just watch two episodes tonight and save the rest for Sunday night which is very empty at the moment!

Don't worry, ellenora I won't post spoilers.

MadisonAvenue Wed 15-May-19 18:01:51

I don’t think I’m going to be able to resist bingeing.

Livedandlearned Wed 15-May-19 18:49:47

Viques that sounds like a nice plan. I might watch them in batches rather than weekly, depending on my mood, sometimes I need to cwtch up in bed with a good series so rationing them out is my plan.

Can't wait to see what Pauline is going to be like, she's my favourite.

spiderlight Wed 15-May-19 19:48:11

I'm going to try so hard not to binge. I only get an hour or so on Tuesday and Thursday evenings to myself, so my plan is to watch the first one tonight and savour it, and then two tomorrow evening while DS and DH are out, two next Tuesday and save the last one to watch next Thursday.

AppleKatie Wed 15-May-19 20:26:56

Can’t believe it doesn’t start til 10 I’m knackered I can’t wait that long!

ellenanora5 Wed 15-May-19 20:53:06

I'm just jealous viques of those able to watch the whole series now grin

Enjoy everyone smile

Livedandlearned Wed 15-May-19 22:05:41

Pi ah no

BitOfFun Wed 15-May-19 22:11:33

Loving it already grin

BitOfFun Wed 15-May-19 22:26:33

The son needs to get over it! I can't bear Peter Mullan's sweet wee face sad

nowifi Wed 15-May-19 22:33:51

I hope Jason doesn't ruin her chance of happiness! Looks like it is going that way at the moment. Anyone else going onto ep2? I'm going to hold off until tomorrow I think!

snozzlemaid Wed 15-May-19 22:39:18

I could quite happily sit now and watch the whole lot. But don't think I'd be much use at work tomorrow if I did.
I love this so much.
Every character is brilliant. Love all their little quirks.
Loved the sweet little Cathy and Michael kiss.

Livedandlearned Wed 15-May-19 22:40:22

I liked the bit with Kelly and Jason in the shower.

AppleKatie Wed 15-May-19 22:51:02

I’m dying for someone to tell Jason not to be a twat already! Too late now for more ...tomorrow.

RuffleCrow Wed 15-May-19 22:59:13

She's no doormat, although they all take her for one:

Look at the way she gently gave Kelly's mum a bollocking with about three words and a considered facial expression!

She actually did the same thing to Kelly about two episodes before that. She's one of these 'float like a butterfly, sting like a bee' type women.

BitOfFun Wed 15-May-19 23:08:07

I'm on episode two now. I fear it's sucked me in...

HunkyDory69 Wed 15-May-19 23:10:45

It is beautiful.

ellenanora5 Wed 15-May-19 23:16:53

Aww I loved that, but don't want Jason to ruin it for her.

Pauline is hilarious, so is it 5.5 acres you said grin she's such a snob, great actress though, she was so different in Call the Midwife.

I'll admit to getting teary eyed when Kelly was talking to Kathy about her "friend"

AppleKatie Wed 15-May-19 23:18:08

Pauline is toe cringing. I can almost cope when she does it to Cathy. But when she did it to the bloke who owns the house... ouch.

nowifi Wed 15-May-19 23:23:16

Me too ellananora !

BitOfFun Wed 15-May-19 23:23:28

Jason is infuriating me!

nowifi Wed 15-May-19 23:23:39

Teary eyed I mean!

goingtotown Wed 15-May-19 23:32:58

Should be one hour episodes.

LoafofSellotape Wed 15-May-19 23:51:14

I thought it was going to show all episodes of the new series? It's not showing for meconfused

It was a great first episode, brilliant 😂

LoafofSellotape Wed 15-May-19 23:52:57

Oh it's ok,found them. Bloody sky box blush

viques Wed 15-May-19 23:54:02

Ok, I am stopping at 3 tonight. But no spoilers.

So pleased to see Reg and Maureen, who are almost perfect, I would like to see them in their own environment. I love they way you think you have them sussed out, then they say something so unexpected that it floors you.

I am also pleased the eating is back!

I am worried about Derek, I am getting a bad feeling about him and Pauline.

Belindabelle Thu 16-May-19 01:00:41

Well all I will say is you are all in for a treat. It was just perfect.

I loved the daily format.

Hurry up and watch it. If anybody manages to watch an episode a week instead of binging I will be amazed.

MadisonAvenue Thu 16-May-19 07:45:40

We were only going to watch one episode...my husband managed three and went to bed, we said we’d watch the rest tonight. I ended up putting the TV back on and watching the rest. It was absolute perfection.

Really really REALLY need another series, or a one hour special at the very least.

Livedandlearned Thu 16-May-19 07:52:40

I downloaded them all and watched a bit of episode two. It's so hard to resist confused.

I had a little cry when Kelly was talking to Cathy about her "friend" too. She truly adores Cathy.

spiderlight Thu 16-May-19 08:06:03

I watched two - wasn't going to but it just drew me in. The line that floored me was Reg to Maureen - 'I'll get you up the stairs.' Brought tears to my eyes.

MadisonAvenue Thu 16-May-19 08:07:22

spider that line got me too.

AllGoodDogs Thu 16-May-19 08:27:01

I've just picked this up on last night's episode, never seen it before. Can someone catch me up on how they're all related please??! I get the mum, her brother and his wife, her son and his GF. Dead husband? Who is the guy who brought her her glasses and watch?

Livedandlearned Thu 16-May-19 08:49:04

Dead husband yes and the man who brought her glasses and watch is Michael. He is her husbands best friend and he and Cathy have fallen in love, very slowly.

Watch the first two series on iplayer, you'll enjoy it.

Medievalist Thu 16-May-19 08:50:19

Who is the guy who brought her her glasses and watch?

Michael was a lifelong friend of Cathy/the mum's dead husband. And has loved Cathy all his life. This was clear to the viewer throughout series 1 and 2, but it took ages for them to admit their feelings to each other. Cathy is still keeping it under wraps because she thinks her son wouldn't be able to deal with it.

Steala Thu 16-May-19 08:55:17

So torn. Want to binge it, want to savour it. Love it so much. Watched ep 1 last night and realised how much I'd missed it and how sad I'll be when it ends.

Compromise might be bingeing all 3 series.

MadisonAvenue Thu 16-May-19 08:57:45

AllGoodDogs the elderly couple are her late husband’s parents. Series 1 and 2 are on IPlayer if you want to see the earlier episodes.

BentBaastard Thu 16-May-19 09:02:20

You have to watch series 1 & 2 before you go and watch series 3.

The build up is lovely.

The80sweregreat Thu 16-May-19 09:07:58

' I can smell the cows'
Welcome back everyone!!

I loved Kathy throwing her ( swan shaped) towel on the chair. Pauline ' everyone's been to north Brazil'. Jason is still being a knob and Kelly is as sweet and annoying as ever.
It is a lovely house.

The80sweregreat Thu 16-May-19 09:10:42

To anyone who hasn't seen series two, Regs line about his dead son was one of the hi lights of last year. Your in for a pure moment of tv gold.

LoafofSellotape Thu 16-May-19 09:42:18

They did such a good job with Kelly looking so shit with morning sickness! The horrors of early pregnancy came flooding back watching her 😂

The80sweregreat Thu 16-May-19 09:46:24

Jason is totally aware of his mum and Michael's new relationship, but just being hostile and trying to pretend its not happening is really annoying me! He can have happiness, but she can't. typical man! grr. Jason's dad was probably the same - life and soul until someone looked at him the wrong way! I love how Michael and Kathy are on the same page about things too, they get each other so well, a good match. I am rooting for them so much,

spiderlight Thu 16-May-19 09:56:08

@AllGoodDogs You have to watch it from the start. You just have to. It's a masterpiece.

implantsandaDyson Thu 16-May-19 09:56:09

I made myself go to bed after 3 episodes last night. We're finishing it tonight, childishly excited blush. I have loved every second of it. I do adore Pauline, I know she's a dick but she does break my heart.

MadisonAvenue Thu 16-May-19 10:27:51

implantsandaDyson I love your username 😂

viques Thu 16-May-19 10:30:50

I am so very jealous of @allgooddogs who has only just found Mum and now has series one, series two and the rest of series three to enjoy for the first time.

Although in fairness it pays to rewatch, so many subtle little nuances to savour.

AppleKatie Thu 16-May-19 10:46:34

I’m definitely not using precious nursery time that I could be using to do housework to watch episode two. No definitely not.

implantsandaDyson Thu 16-May-19 11:09:35

Thanks MadisonAvenue - still makes me laugh out loud when I read my own name blush

The80sweregreat Thu 16-May-19 11:17:26

I'm on episode two now as well. It's very addictive.

The80sweregreat Thu 16-May-19 11:18:43

I'm in love with this house. In another life I will own a house like this. Lol

MadisonAvenue Thu 16-May-19 11:20:21

implantsandaDyson I'm reading it in Barbara's voice 😂

Belindabelle Thu 16-May-19 11:41:25

Don't worry I won't give any spoilers but I was so worried that the third series would not be as good as the other two. I was really worried when I saw they had changed the format to daily instead of monthly but that worked so well.

The character development in this final series is spot on. We get loads of little snippets of information about them all but nothing is too obvious.
I need to watch them all again because you miss so much. I have now watched the first two series three times. I have never rewatched anything like that before.

I think I will need to buy the box set.

I would love a one off Christmas special in a couple of years.

The80sweregreat Thu 16-May-19 11:53:52

It's living up to expectations so far.

HunkyDory69 Thu 16-May-19 12:09:21

Belinda belle, I agree about rewatching. My habit has become to play games or scan MN whilst I'm watching so I didn't pick up on all the unspoken stuff straight off. But I am now rewatching with full attention & I agree, it is a masterpiece.
I especially love Thursday & Saturday & do not want a xmas special. It is so lovely to think of lives continuing, full of promise & hope.

The80sweregreat Thu 16-May-19 12:19:08

Hunky, it is a masterpiece in acting from everyone. Very clever writing too.

LoafofSellotape Thu 16-May-19 12:47:42

Just started episode 4,dear God Jason is bordering on cruel to Michael. I really hope they swan off into the sunset together and leave the nasty little twat with his jaw on the floor!

LoafofSellotape Thu 16-May-19 12:48:58

"I'm fundamentally exhausted" grin

HunkyDory69 Thu 16-May-19 13:28:39

Special award to Michael on Friday. That is some acting! So - not acting, as in all painfully unfolding so naturally. So real. I'm feeling quite inarticulate here!

Belindabelle Thu 16-May-19 13:37:38

'Friday' may be the most perfect piece of television I have ever seen. Definitely my favourite episode. I think the we learned so much more about all the characters. Pauline was also outstanding.

HunkyDory69 Thu 16-May-19 13:40:52

I looked up Kelly McGrillis after series 1 to see if I knew her from anything else & was gobsmacked to see that she was the sharp as a tack, sarky younger sister in Hebburn, so proper Newcastle accent etc. And then I binged on No Offence over winter & she was in that too as a hard as nails politician. Really great actress. Very versatile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »