Talk

Advanced search

TENNIS THREAD -Sliding in the clay, on the journey to Roland Garros !

(1000 Posts)
Raahh Fri 19-Apr-19 09:29:31

Just had a slight panic when I saw the thread was nearly full.

I am now off to check the schedule properly- to see what I'll miss todaygrin

magimedi Mon 20-May-19 19:39:13

Lovely Tim? Lovely Tim? - NO - 'enman was always a prat!!

How I would love to see the top players in doubles. I so wish they'd play. Can't you just imagine Rafa & Tits v Roger & Thiem??? I'd be more interested in that than a lot of the singles.

JaneJeffer Mon 20-May-19 19:45:25

I think Tim would make a good sparring partner for you magi grin

The singles game is so much more severe on players nowadays that they would all be wrecked if they had to play doubles as well. It's a shame.

PrivateIsles Mon 20-May-19 21:12:16

That's true Jane - I don't think Mac and co went through so many long arduous matches as they do nowadays.

PrivateIsles Mon 20-May-19 21:58:01

Ooh some pre-RG listening coming up on Wednesday: the Tennis Podcast is doing The Rafa Nadal Story - from teen sensation to King of Clay. Looking forward to that.

kazzaD66 Mon 20-May-19 22:24:35

Really enjoyed watching Wimbledon this evening. I love Kim Clijsters, she's always so happy and no one seems to have a bad word to say about her. She certainly knows how to handle Mac grin

Re top singles players playing doubles, Martina was saying that it makes you a better player doing both. She said you may lose some matches because you're knackered, for example, but you will win more because you are better. Not sure I completely agree but then I haven't got about 59 GS titles, so what do I know confusedgrin I remember when Edberg stopped playing doubles with Anders Jarryd because he felt he had to concentrate on singles....and that was 30 years ago smile

Btw I'm assuming someone who knows what they are doing will start a new thread soon, cos I haven't got a scooby how to do it and I can't bel we're already on page 40 again! grin

magimedi Mon 20-May-19 22:25:15

I think Tim would make a good sparring partner for you magi grin

He would be KO after 10 secs in the first round - I promise you!

Not tuff enuff for moi!! grin

kazzaD66 Mon 20-May-19 22:26:08

*believe

Time for bed, I think hmm

magimedi Mon 20-May-19 22:26:56

kazza - we got 18 messages to go - 18 times I could show you AC!! grin

magimedi Mon 20-May-19 22:27:38

Am also off to my manger....... Bon Soir, mes amis.

kazzaD66 Mon 20-May-19 22:28:01

Who do you least dislike out of Timmy and bear magi grin

kazzaD66 Mon 20-May-19 22:29:16

Are you trying to give me nightmares magi

magimedi Mon 20-May-19 22:47:29

Who do you least dislike out of Timmy and bear?

I need to sleep on that one, kazza.

I suspect bear

Sweet dreams of AC, kazza grin

magimedi Mon 20-May-19 22:49:06

Just for you, kazza

PrivateIsles Tue 21-May-19 07:16:02

magi grin

Anyway speaking of top players playing doubles... Andy Murray is in today's Times saying he won't make a singles comeback this grass season because there's not enough time to get ready training-wise, but "potentially doubles". Would love to see him in doubles at Wimbledon/Queens etc - I know Jamie ruled it out, but there'd be plenty of other partner options for him I would think.

Just to note Andy was practising with Kyrgios yesterday at Wimbledon - that would be an interesting doubles team!!

PS kazza Anders Jarryd - there's a name I haven't heard for a while - I do remember him though!

Fizzywinegum Tue 21-May-19 10:07:53

I remember Anders Jarryd as well! Thanks for the heads up on the Rafa podcast Private.

Glad I didn’t see the picture of AC last night (shudder).

My DH expressed surprise that I wasn’t watching any tennis last night - he needs to get ready for 2 weeks of RG, queens and then Wimbledon - yay - can’t wait! Although will be away for second week of RG but back for final. Hope there are some Greek tennis fans - come on Tsitsipas (although not against Rafa!) smile

kazzaD66 Tue 21-May-19 10:23:38

I'm also glad I turned my phone off before that picture came through - preening tosser grin

I really hope Andy doesn't play doubles with Kyrgios! It would be a waste of his time if Kyrgios defaults half way through their first match grin although Andy seems to be the only one that Kyrgios gets on with and has any respect for, so maybe he could keep him in line hmm

Anders Jarryd used to wear glasses and then he must have either got contact lenses or had his eyes lasered.

PrivateIsles Tue 21-May-19 12:34:36

kazza I'm loving the Anders Jarryd trivia. Doesn't Djok wear contacts? I'm sure I remember Pat Cash saying that once but I might be wrong!

I'm looking forward to the Rafa podcast. They did one on Roger a while ago, and that was good, so this one should be even better smile

kazzaD66 Tue 21-May-19 13:29:03

Private I think Djok does. He certainly blinks a lot at times, as if he's trying to lubricate his eyes, which is what I used to do when I wore lenses and they were irritating! I'm sure I've even seen a tennis player take an obviously irritating lense out to clean or change on court once - can't remember who, may well have been Djok.

PrivateIsles Tue 21-May-19 13:49:12

kazza yes I think it must have been Djok.

Right I'm going to brave it and start a new thread...

tennis

PrivateIsles Tue 21-May-19 13:52:09

new thread

PrivateIsles Tue 21-May-19 13:52:50

Please go to the new thread for all things tennis grin

PrivateIsles Tue 21-May-19 13:53:33

I want to do the 1000th post but CBA to write four pointless posts to fill this one up! grin

magimedi Tue 21-May-19 14:13:26

bear

magimedi Tue 21-May-19 14:13:40

tennis

magimedi Tue 21-May-19 14:14:57

Just for kazza (last time, I promise)*

*Unless you are very mean to me!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.