Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

why do 'look ten years younger/makeover shows' have to be so degrading?

(7 Posts)
Countingthegreyhairs Fri 13-Jul-07 10:02:21

OK, so I know makeover shows are never going to be high-minded viewing but I turned one off in disgust last night. I just couldn't watch anymore. They made some poor mother of four children (complete with drooping boobs and tummy not dissimilar to my own) stand on a beach in a bikini while the public judged the age of her body versus the age of her (beautiful) face.

(Apologies if this subject is out of date/has already been discussed ad nauseam btw but I live abroad and we receive UK re-runs 6 months to a year later than they are shown at home.)

OK, so although I didn't stay to watch, no doubt she did receive fantastic clothes, hair, surgery, teeth, as a result of the makeover but is it acceptable that she had to publicly humiliate herself to do it? (I usually think the person looks better before they are tampered with anyway.)

Sorry if I sound like an old prude but why do we watch this stuff? Why is this acceptable viewing? Why not just throw Christians in with the lions and have done with it. There's a fine line between advising someone and mocking them.

There's always some know-all condescending expert telling someone their perceived view of what is the best way to do something in whatever area of their life under the guise of it being informative programming when really it is just voyeurism pure and simple.

Deep breath. Rant over now. Am I alone in thinking this?

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 13-Jul-07 10:37:34

I guess I am alone then ...

AngharadGoldenhand Fri 13-Jul-07 10:43:37

I don't watch the shows, but I guess they have to make the greatest contrast possible between the before and after, otherwise it won't look like the expert did much, will it?

Also, it makes for good viewing figures (unfortunately imo) to be able to show her (presumably) emotional reaction to people being horrible about her body.

TinyGang Fri 13-Jul-07 10:47:56

Oh I completely agree.

I watched two women 'helping' an overweight lady lose weight on a programme a few weeks ago. They spoke to her like she was 4.

A huge amount of tv these days is devoted to watching people being humilited, although I assume they must know what they're letting themselves in for when they take part.

You're right though - entertainment nowadays is no more refined than a few hundred years ago. Big Brother is a shining example of that.

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 13-Jul-07 12:00:51

Relieved I'm not the only one Tiny and Angarahad .

Yes, the adults involved make their own choices but nonetheless I think many of these shows are too exploitative as the people involved are inevitably (owing to the the subject matter) insecure. It's like a Faustian pact - you expose all your insecurities on screen to thousands of viewers (not to mention your family, friends, colleagues) - for which we will offer you a reward! But what happens afterwards?

I also have doubts about the shows involving children (House of Tiny Tearaways, Supernanny etc) as they have no choice, even though I confess to watching these programmes avidly and have picked up some good tips from time to time. If my dd is misbehaving in public, I try to take her to one side to have a word, I certainly would not like her/our deficiencies exposed to the nation for all to watch!!

newgirl Fri 13-Jul-07 12:48:40

i agree

i like the clothes advice parts of the shows and sometimes tune in to watch that bit but i hate the parts where they analyse the relationships and expect tears etc

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 13-Jul-07 21:11:14

Yep, close-up shots of people in distress are the pits ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now