Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dr Who and the gay community

(23 Posts)
beansprout Mon 25-Jun-07 16:21:59

Article here

The series finale (have told dh it is not the "last one" it is the "series finale"!!) is going to be screened at Pride!!

Blandmum Mon 25-Jun-07 16:23:59

Cos good old Russ is gay I suppose. And he has written lots of positive gay stuff into Dr Who and Torchwood.

beansprout Mon 25-Jun-07 16:25:07

Definitely. I had a thing for Aiden Gill for years after Queer As Folk was on.

As for the gay thing I agree that it is as simple as DT and JB being as fit as butcher's dogs.

MrsWho Mon 25-Jun-07 20:59:29

And JB is a well known figure and very out.

PersonalClown Mon 25-Jun-07 21:01:37

JB is hosting something at Pride so the powers that be thought it was appropriate.
Has anyone seen JB on Weakest link? Anne asks him if Capt Jack likes men or women. He's says anything with a postcode!!ROFL!

beansprout Mon 25-Jun-07 21:02:39

He did try to pick up a man, a woman AND an alien in "Utopia"!

slayerette Tue 26-Jun-07 21:06:51

'Stop it!'

DH and I ROFL when the Dr kept saying that every time Jack so much as looked at anyone! It's become a bit of a family catchphrase now - but has to be said in exactly the right tone, which is really hard to demonstrate when typing...

MrsWho Wed 27-Jun-07 13:22:39

I loved those bits

Fubsy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:05:50

Its going to be very handy when DD starts learning about such things - if she asks what gay is, i can just say "like Capt Jack" and she will be happy!

MrsWho Thu 28-Jun-07 19:29:08

dd1 told my xh about John Barrowman marrying his boyfriend as it was in the paper!

SueBaroo Thu 28-Jun-07 20:19:41

MrsWho, doesn't he not like it being called 'marriage'? I seem to recall from an interview he did that he was quite firm about that. Not sure what his reasons are, but I do remember it being an issue.

MrsWho Thu 28-Jun-07 20:58:47

No idea

SueBaroo Thu 28-Jun-07 21:07:06

lol.. ah, it's me being slightly obssessive about anything remotely Dr Who related and storing up random information,

fillyjonk Thu 28-Jun-07 21:09:24

my only there is that pride is now fee paying (wasn't in the good old days)

somehow that makes me a bit . dunno WHY.

beansprout Thu 28-Jun-07 21:11:15

You have to pay to get into Pride?!

fillyjonk Thu 28-Jun-07 21:12:25

he doesn't like it to be called marriage I assume because gay people are not technically allowed to marry now, and have not been at any point in history. Consequently, although they have MORE rights with a civil partnership, those rights are still very weak compared to marriage.

He is being excluded from a lot of the legal perks that people in woman-man relationships can pretty much take for granted. I am guessing that that is why he is rejecting the word? Can utterly understand the viewpoint, the ongoing discrimination against same-gender partners in the bloody 21st century makes me utterly incandescent.

fillyjonk Thu 28-Jun-07 21:12:44

yes was a big scandal back in about 1997 when i was into these things...

Mercy Thu 28-Jun-07 21:12:53

Blimey, Filly I didn;t know that (not having been to a gay rpride festival or indeed any festival for several years).

Dr Who is camp - always has been imo (Jon Pertwee, Colin Baker etc)

beansprout Thu 28-Jun-07 21:13:57

It must cost a bucket load to put on, so if there isn't funding, then I'm assuming the money has to come from somewhere?

fillyjonk Thu 28-Jun-07 21:14:43

of course its fkn camp! aside from anything else, you have a flamboyant man travelling through time and space and not settling down with any one woman (I know thats changed now he has emotions, but still)

the newsgroup is hilarious on this subject. people Do Not like dr who being even tinged with gayness.

fillyjonk Thu 28-Jun-07 21:17:41

oh beansprout, can of worms, can of worms

ok basic problem is one of access. it used to be a free community festival. No you didn't have every band under the sun playing but otoh, teenagers, people on very fixed incomes, who arguably NEEDED this sort of thing since they found it harder to go to clubs and spend money there, could come and participate and it was very inclusive.

and now it costs rather a lot and that caused discord and upset.

SueBaroo Thu 28-Jun-07 21:28:30

fillyjonk, yes I presumed those may well be among his reasons, I know a few gay men who don't call it 'marriage' for a number of reasons, actually.

I remember going to a pride event in Manchester, and I can't remember anything about having to pay - but it was quite a time ago now, and tbh, I don't actually remember an awful lot about it

fillyjonk Thu 28-Jun-07 21:30:10

no its just london, sue that you have to pay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now