Talk

Advanced search

Flowers series 2

(39 Posts)
cushioncovers Thu 07-Jun-18 08:01:26

Anyone else looking forward to this. I really enjoyed the first series.

FluffAndFluster Thu 07-Jun-18 11:16:19

Yes me, set to record.

cushioncovers Mon 11-Jun-18 22:30:47

Anyone watching?

Snoopyokay Mon 11-Jun-18 22:48:47

Yes! I'm loving it it seems even stranger than the last series!

Snoopyokay Mon 11-Jun-18 22:50:01

Apparently the first series got really low ratings for c4 but they still wanted to commission a second series as they love it so much!

cushioncovers Tue 12-Jun-18 10:48:26

Why does Clyde remind me of Johnny Depp. grin

spiderlight Tue 12-Jun-18 11:09:41

That was strange. Very, very strange. I think I liked it, but I wish I'd re-watched series 1 because I might have been slightly less confused! I think it would have worked better as two separate episodes, as there wasn't enough sense of time passing between 'I can't be with you any more' and Deborah suddenly having a new house etc.

futuristic1 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:35:53

Will Sharpe, the writer/actor/director has said he wants to show viewers what having a mental illness is like.

Well, I guess Flowers shows that having a mental illness when you own your own country estate, cars, motorbikes and caravans is a lot less traumatic than having a mental illness in a bedsit on Deptford High Road.

But is it 'funnier'?
Is this 'funny'?

Certainly, Will Sharpe shows us that it's better to be middle class (and above) and mentally ill, than working class (and below) and mentally ill.

Is there any virtue in this show or is it just more more rich boy bollocks?
Maybe if you've grown up 'boy-worshipping' Monty Python and 'teen-surrealism'?
Maybe, but I doubt it.

Is it really telling anybody anything interesting or challenging (or amusing) about mental illness?

I don't think so - and no, it's not funny either.

cushioncovers Tue 12-Jun-18 18:21:42

Tbh I'm just enjoying the quirkiness of it all and not really looking to much into it.

futuristic1 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:07:50

Don't get me wrong, I like 'looking' at it too. Nice house, nice garden, pretty people, pretty things.

I like looking out bus windows when I travel but if I never reached my stated destination, I'd be disappointed.

The writer clearly had specific aims - does it meet those?

It's labelled as comedy - Is it funny?

fourquenelles Tue 12-Jun-18 22:06:00

The Emperor is wandering around C4 stark bollock naked.

MarkleSparkle Tue 12-Jun-18 22:09:25

I don't know futuristic, but I identified so much with Maurice in the first series and his inability to tell his wife about his depression that I cried for about a week after watching it.

Apart from that I mainly enjoy the slightly batshit nature of it.

Am so glad to hear that about C4 though! Really surprises me, in a good way.

Lottapianos Tue 12-Jun-18 22:32:16

Series 1 was one of my favourite TV series of the last few years. I thought it portrayed the shame and isolation of depression beautifully, and in a really inventive way. And the unending sadness - you could feel it coming through the screen, despite the many laughs. I adore how absolutely brutal the brother and sister are with each other too grin

Only seen first episode of series 2 so far

cushioncovers Wed 13-Jun-18 08:21:40

Thinking about it I'm not sure I would say it's a comedy. It has humorous moments but I'm not sure how I would 'label it'

FantasticGymnastic Thu 14-Jun-18 11:38:25

Loved series 1 but just can’t get into series 2 at all so I’m deleting it I’m afraid.

cushioncovers Fri 15-Jun-18 16:45:42

Thought last nights episode was brilliant

terryleather Fri 15-Jun-18 18:32:37

Quite liked the first series but can't get with this one at all, and I do think it's over hyped and self congratulatory tbh.

Makes me want to channel Nicola Horrocks in Life Is Sweet and scream "middle class wankers!!!!" at the tv....

Blostma Sat 16-Jun-18 00:04:04

I think that was the most moving thing I have seen on TV in ages. Beautifully shot, and I actually sobbed at the end. So very true Shun.

spiderlight Sat 16-Jun-18 09:37:32

My God. I've never watched anything like that. Even DP was in tears at the end.

Blostma Sat 16-Jun-18 13:51:15

DH has saved it. He wants to watch it all over again. I might too, in the hope of a less devastating ending.

Lottapianos Sat 16-Jun-18 14:18:06

Gosh, really looking forward to seeing the final three episodes now. I watched the first 3 earlier in the week and really enjoyed them but preferred series 1 on the whole. I'm intrigued now. Thanks for not posting spoilers everyone

chequeplease Sat 16-Jun-18 19:45:20

Oh it was brilliant. And yes maybe it does focus on MH within a middle class family. But that's a reality for some too.
Did we ever know what ever happened to Shuns family?

Lottapianos Sat 16-Jun-18 21:32:03

'Did we ever know what ever happened to Shuns family?'

Yes, we found out in series 1

WasteOfThyme Sat 16-Jun-18 21:42:59

I think this series had some strong moments, especially episode 5. But it was nothing compared to season 1.

Snoopyokay Sat 16-Jun-18 23:21:45

Not posting a spoiler but not sure what happened in the last episode? I'm thinking it was unsaid ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: