Talk

Advanced search

Bride & Prejudice

(42 Posts)
covetingthepreciousthings Tue 05-Jun-18 21:06:45

Any watching this new show on channel 4?

Cocolepew Tue 05-Jun-18 21:07:31

Me!
John is annoying.

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 05-Jun-18 21:10:44

Yes I thought that.. it was the boom boom boom

HollowTalk Tue 05-Jun-18 21:14:20

God, he was AWFUL! I think she's in for a reality check one day. The Asian woman and the white bloke seemed very sweet - her mum seemed controlling, though. Looking forward to seeing the gay couple - apparently one of the couple has parents who just don't believe he's gay. My mum would be like that!

BeachyUmbrella Tue 05-Jun-18 21:23:49

That grandad is awful, he really needs to back off!

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 05-Jun-18 21:26:08

Sad story about her dad, but agree the grandad is too much & needs to back off.. she's clearly happy, might aswell let her enjoy her wedding by giving her his blessing.

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 05-Jun-18 21:27:55

"If he was a genuine gay" shockhmm

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 05-Jun-18 21:28:43

"Cracking birds round here.. big chested things" confused even the mum seemed to cringe with that..

thenightsky Tue 05-Jun-18 21:29:18

'He used to bring some cracking birds back... big chested things' shock

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 05-Jun-18 21:30:33

I feel really sorry for him.
There's no aisle? hmm

I missed it, how long as he been with his partner for? It's just very sad that they can't accept it.

Cocolepew Tue 05-Jun-18 21:31:29

Omg the dad perving over his sons girlfriends!

Cocolepew Tue 05-Jun-18 21:37:51

Ohhh I'd guessed they were trans.

AlrightBabby Tue 05-Jun-18 21:43:26

The gay blokes parents are awful - 'if he was a genuine gay he'd have a limp hand', sweet Jesus what 1950s book have they been reading?

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 05-Jun-18 21:45:53

I hope her Grandad agrees, it's sad that his views should overshadow her happiness.

DameSquashalot Tue 05-Jun-18 21:52:46

I'm watching. I couldn't believe the comment about the limp hand!

Wellthen Tue 05-Jun-18 21:54:53

My heartbreaks for the gay couple. His parents are just awful and the excuse ‘we’re a different generation’ makes my blood boil

Also the Malaysian mum needs to stop referring to her future son in law as A transgender.

darksideofthemooncup Tue 05-Jun-18 21:58:27

Aww the grandad made me well up! Agree about the gay mans parent the Mauritian woman, it's not about YOU, it's their children's lives, I could not imagine trying to shove my prejudices and beliefs down my child's throat, how arrogant they are

Italiangreyhound Tue 05-Jun-18 22:15:39

I must admit I'd like I think I'd probably accept whoever my kids wanted to marry. But I can see why some parents might find it hard.

I'd worry my daughter would be looking after an old person in a few years if she married someone 35 years older than her. But I guess I'd not withhold 'my blessing' because there is no point if they are getting married anyway!

Italiangreyhound Tue 05-Jun-18 22:16:01

Watching on Plus 1 catch up so I am an hour behind!

mydogisthebest Tue 05-Jun-18 22:19:26

The gay guy's parents were awful. So narrow minded. I felt really sorry for him.

I must admit I don't think I would be happy if a child of mine married someone 35 years older. It is such a large age gap and will become more and more obvious as time goes by

ALittleAubergine Tue 05-Jun-18 22:35:24

I feel bad for both the gay man and his parents, they all seem defensive and sad.

Ginseng1 Tue 05-Jun-18 23:03:49

Cringe from John 'won't forget this day unless I get dementia' my god. For me that one I'd find hard to accept only cos he's so annoying as well as the age difference.

Italiangreyhound Tue 05-Jun-18 23:25:18

It does seem as if it is not quite so straight forward. Seemed at first older guy, gay couple, racist mum. ....Spoiler alert....

Then it was that as a girl she lost her dad at 13, so maybe was looking for a father figure. I can understand her grandfather being uncomfortable.

The gay guy had been straight, married to a woman and is a dad of two. Of course he can change his mind and be gay, or bi, or whatever - but his parents have obviously found it harder to accept.

And the mum is pretty racist but also finding it hard to accept (or easy not to accept) the fact her daughter's female friend became her boyfriend and now fiance.

What's a bit difficult is the gay guy and the 24 year old seem to expect their loved ones to acceit who they want to marry and be interested in the wedding/or even play a part on it.

And although I can see why they would feel that way, I can understand why their loved ones would struggle.

At the end of the day if your love of the person getting married is strong enough, you may be able to accept their choice.

Dulra Wed 06-Jun-18 08:43:20

I started watching this thinking I would find the parents objecting really closed minded and bigoted but putting myself in their shoes I can absolutely understand their concerns. The gay mans parents were pretty horrible and some of their phrases appalling but I guess their son was married before has children and they are struggling to make the shift from who they thought he was to who he is now (saying that though I don't think their views would be any different if he came out to them in his teens so I do think they are a lost cause).

The girl marrying the man 35 years older I would struggle with. I have 3 daughters and the first thing I would find hard is if they wanted to marry at 24 which I think is very young particularly nowadays don't know about UK average age to get married but in Ireland for a woman it is 30. I would also be very concerned with her marrying someone so much older for loads of different reasons. I would probably questions his motives for marrying someone so much younger too. If it boiled down to it I would accept it and give them my blessing but I think inside I would be sad.

The woman with the daughter marrying the trans boy again I would find this tough but tbh probably easier then the age difference marriage. Again I feel this couple also seemed really young and wondered why they were rushing into marriage particularly when he was still quite early on in his transitioning. Again I would accept it but inside wouldn't be entirely happy about it

Italiangreyhound Wed 06-Jun-18 10:17:16

@Dulra my thoughts exactly! I also feel the age gap is a massive one. I'd be worried my child would be widowed young. Left to cope with or without kids.

The other situations didn't seem as dramatic I'm a way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: