Talk

Advanced search

Rich house poor house wed ch5 9pm

(258 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Wed 02-May-18 17:16:14

Two families swap lives for a week. Total opposites in the life styles

the richest 10% and a family who live on the breadline

SleepingStandingUp Wed 02-May-18 17:17:53

I really enjoy this, watched all the other series.

I get it isn't the point but I never understand why the rich family don't do something nice for the poor family more often

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 02-May-18 17:26:10

The only time I have seen something nice was the family who brought the mum a wheelchair

Usually the money the rich family have for a week is insane and like a thousand pounds so £50k a year

SleepingStandingUp Wed 02-May-18 17:28:30

Yeah I'd love to see their sums - but I guess if you earn 100k then once the bills are paid, it really is that much just purple rarely pull it out as cash.

I saw a guy who did so house stuff - put a door back on, got an old sofa removed. Nothing huge but it was "well I can do this, and this will be a small help so why wouldn't I"

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 02-May-18 17:38:28

Oh that’s right. They got the garden cleared

user1494670108 Wed 02-May-18 17:47:52

I find it incredibly uncomfortable viewing.

Lookingforspace Wed 02-May-18 17:52:19

The guy who cleared the garden also had the door on the washing machine fixed. At the end his kids all said it had made them appreciate how fortunate they are. If the programme achieves nothing else then that’s always a good thing.

SleepingStandingUp Wed 02-May-18 18:10:01

That's it, I've never seen the "rich" kids come back anything but humbled and the "poor" going ok, there's another life out there. Many of the "rich" families are self made which I think also makes a difference. There was a women who grew up on the same estate practically

gussiefox Wed 02-May-18 18:31:05

I don't watch this, but 2 of the families were on Radio4 today - seems like the "rich" family did something very nice indeed (don't want to post a spoiler and upset anybody).

Xenia Wed 02-May-18 19:21:32

I enjoyed the last series. Like all these things it can be a bit staged at times but I think it's reasonably kindly done and helps realise the lives of others. I remember the sofa moving episode. The rich family carried it to the local tip having broken it into pieces and I was thinking well anyone would have done that - what stopped the "poor" family doing that, it cost nothing but they preferred just to leave the sofa in their front garden. Well it certainly makes you think.

SleepingStandingUp Wed 02-May-18 19:55:41

I think the difference is the poor Dad worked and just hadn't had the time, rich dad was just sitting round the house. Sometimes as well things become so normalised that you don't see them. So an old sofa outside is nothing because lots of people do that, but actually it disappearing and you not having to expand the mental energy on it makes a difference. Think rich kids were older too re helping carry it

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 02-May-18 20:13:36

I do sometimes think that it’s harder on the poor family wsp the children

To go and live in a nice house and have things hey would never have

Then taken away

Tho I think it’s good for rich kids to see how some families struggle and have to survive on a small budget

Hopefully they will have the same number of children so that the rich kids probably have to share a bedroom

aurorie11 Wed 02-May-18 21:38:00

Any guesses on what the rich family do for the poor family? I don’t know what it is me and DH are speculating

Whatalovelymug Wed 02-May-18 21:43:48

There’s a lot of talk about the debt, maybe it’s to do with that?

I find this programme interesting. It doesn’t feel as if anyone is being taken advantage of.

aurorie11 Wed 02-May-18 21:58:55

In tears ....

Macarena1990 Wed 02-May-18 22:00:45

I'm crying! What a life changing gesture.

CocoaGin Wed 02-May-18 22:01:36

I don't really like the concept of the show but in fairness, they always choose really nice families and it's nice to see such human kindness. I do feel sorry for the poor kids though to have a week of whatever they want and then back to what they can't have sad

Teddy1970 Wed 02-May-18 22:02:38

Bawling here...what a gesture from the vets, they're both lovely families too.

Macarena1990 Wed 02-May-18 22:03:32

Yep - easily the nicest families on there so far!

SleepingStandingUp Wed 02-May-18 22:06:49

I'll come back tomorrow when I've seen it...

IheartNiles Wed 02-May-18 22:06:52

2 lovely families. What a nice gesture, it will turn their lives around. Good for the rich kids to see that financial good luck isn’t linear to working hard.

MrsEricBana Wed 02-May-18 22:53:27

What a moving programme tonight. Well worth watching.

MargaretCavendish Thu 03-May-18 09:07:45

We got a letter through our door asking us if we wanted to do this (presumably as poor family) just after (as in a few days after) there was a well-publicised and unpleasant drug related murder on our road, which presumably flagged it up as a grim area. Charming.

MrsEricBana Thu 03-May-18 09:26:09

Ok that's not great I agree.
I hadn't watched this show before and for some reason I was expecting the "rich" family to be very wealthy, perhaps brand driven or flash or wasteful in some way when in fact they were both very similar kind loving families with strong values who just happened, by circumstance, to have different financial situations. Of course this was the point and I found the whole thing very touching. The "rich" family were not flash in any way but just had no conception that even boiling the kettle could be a cause of stress in terms of watching the credit on the electricity run down by a few pence etc. The outcome was great and it has really made me think.

MargaretCavendish Thu 03-May-18 09:29:09

To be fair I haven't watched the show, so I'm glad to hear that the eventual product is more tasteful than their recruitment! I was horrified at the crassness, DH was insulted - 'but we have a bread maker!'

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: