Talk

Advanced search

My Baby's Life - who decides?

(12 Posts)
Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Thu 22-Mar-18 21:43:40

Is anyone else watching this? It's so sad, and I can't decide if it's right to film these families.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Thu 22-Mar-18 22:01:06

It’s very sad but I think it is good to raise awareness of this. I feel so sorry for the families, but completely agree with the Dr’s in most cases. Easy to say from a viewers point of view though instead of the parents.

MummyOfATerrible2 Thu 22-Mar-18 22:01:56

I just caught then end of it and it broke my heart! Makes you realise just how lucky you are.

Jasquers Thu 22-Mar-18 22:04:10

Sobbing my heart out here watching that. So sad. I can't imagine going through what those parents have gone through/are going through. Puts things into perspective

AliTheMinx Thu 22-Mar-18 22:06:14

So desperately sad - there are no winners in these circumstances. Utterly devastating for the families and so understandable how the families want to try everything possible to keep their babies alive despite the hard cold medical facts. Very moving and thought-provoking.

Stinkbomb Thu 22-Mar-18 22:06:22

I didn't watch it and can only guess what it's about.
We had to make the decision to turn the life support off for my daughter when she was 2 days old - we had to consider her future, if she were to continue by the machines; for us there was no question- we would have been prolonging her suffering for us. As v new parents, that felt wrong for us. She died in our arms.

OrangeHorses Thu 22-Mar-18 22:11:34

It is so very sad to watch but I think they are right in saying the discussion needs to be had. The parents are obviously only filmed with their consent.

302stacey Thu 22-Mar-18 22:14:22

What a wonderful insight in to something you wouldn't wish on anyone. Amazing families being very candid. Felt totally different watching that today, now being a mum, versus a year ago when hadn't had a baby.
I have a lot of respect for those poor parents agreeing with doctors to withdraw care. Can't judge having not walked in those shoes and also they shared their story! Amazingly touching but also so sad.
I can't believe one family was offered a trial and then once the drug was approved it wasn't affordable and that was the end of that....so cruel! Bloody pharmaceutical companies!

Owlettele Thu 22-Mar-18 23:14:02

I am in floods. The families so brave to share in order to raise awareness. Once again i will hold ds and dd that bit tighter and appreciate just how lucky we are. So much raised in the programme around ethics and procedure too. Still in floods.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Thu 22-Mar-18 23:30:10

I thought the most painful part was where the doctor was giving bad news about the MRI and he didn't quite have the heart to say how bad it was, and the mother seemed brightly oblivious, but then after he had gone you could see she had fully understood.

Stinkbomb I can't even imagine what you went through, but this programme has left me with the greatest admiration and respect for parents who make the decision you made flowers.

Wingedharpy Fri 23-Mar-18 00:34:05

I have the utmost respect for all concerned in these tragic circumstances.
The first part, shown last week, was equally moving.

Lightningbolt82 Thu 29-Mar-18 17:06:11

Stinkbomb that must have been the hardest thing imaginable. How brave to make that decision. I watched the program and wept at the Indian family's predicament. I would like to think that I would have the courage to make that decision for the sake of the child as well as everyone else involved but who knows until you are faced with that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: