Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watching the Assassination of Gianni Versace on bbc2?

(39 Posts)
EachandEveryone Sat 03-Mar-18 18:51:54

Its one of those American Crime Stories and a real camp visual soapy guilty pleasure. Its on catch up. Anyone else?

beepbeeprichie Sun 04-Mar-18 15:22:14

Yes I watched episode 1. Really enjoyed it- I thought the OJ Simpson one last year was brilliant and relatively historically accurate (compared to the Menenedez true crime thing anyway).

wheresmyphone Sun 04-Mar-18 15:33:12

Yep. Watched episode 1 last night....looking good. Really enjoyed the OJ one last year. Not sure how complex this series is in comparison but so far, so good.

EachandEveryone Sun 04-Mar-18 16:58:05

I cant actually remember the case so its interesting. I do think Pnenelope Cruz as Donettella is pushing it abit though!

Dippingmytoesin Sun 04-Mar-18 17:00:24

Apparently gaga was supposed to be Donatella but had to pull out.
Think the Gianni actor is spot on though. I hate the fact I can’t binge watch it, I’ve been spoilt by Netflix etc

EachandEveryone Sun 04-Mar-18 18:25:51

I know thats what i keep thinking! I cant remember the story of the assassin at all.

Dippingmytoesin Sun 04-Mar-18 18:58:25

I’ve read a few articles In the past about the murder of him mostly because I seem to have an obsession with Versace clothes but was only 6 when it happened!

There’s an article on Harper’s bazaar and Cosmo atm about what’s true in the show and what’s been dramatised.

Commuterface Sun 04-Mar-18 20:27:36

Yes! Loved the OJ one and loved the first episode of the Versace one.

EachandEveryone Sun 04-Mar-18 21:12:19

I don’t want to read anything about it as I don’t want spoilers I’ll read it all in the end.

OneInAMillionYou Mon 05-Mar-18 00:19:29

I thought Episode 1 was excellent, high quality production. Will definitely keep watching.

NurseButtercup Mon 05-Mar-18 10:35:57

Ooooh can I join in? I'll add this to my must watch on BBC iPlayer list wink

WearTheFoxHat77 Wed 07-Mar-18 21:38:57

I can't turn it off! But some bits are a bit confusedhmm

EachandEveryone Thu 08-Mar-18 22:34:18

Yes my cousin tonight said she had to turn it off it was too much for her. I mustve been around the block and a fag hag because none of it has made me squirm

sleepyhead24 Thu 08-Mar-18 22:37:20

Amazing visuals really enjoying it so far!

Ruffian Thu 08-Mar-18 23:40:21

Thought it was very good, the actor playing his killer is great in the role, really compelling and there's a terrible tension all the time he's on screen.

The only thing that's bugging me is Penelope Cruz's heavy Spanish accent - she doesn't seem to be making any attempt to sound Italian.

Choccywoccyhooha Fri 09-Mar-18 00:53:46

Totally agree, Penelope Cruz's accent is really not working. Apparently in an interview she said that she was doing Donatella's "international Italian accent"? Or Spanish.

I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by Ricky Nartin's acting.

Choccywoccyhooha Fri 09-Mar-18 00:54:06

Ricky Martin *

squarecorners Fri 09-Mar-18 01:08:15

I've been watching the whole series as it airs in America. I'm not that impressed - it's not as good as the oj Simpson one and I'm only still watching it because I've started so I might as well finish. Basically the entire series just revolves around how the lad from glee is a sort of murdery gay walter mitty. I am very much over it.

Ruffian Fri 09-Mar-18 02:05:02

'International italian accent' - nice try Penelope! grin

I'd forgotten it was Ricky Martin - just knew I knew him from somewhere. He is good, very sympathetic. I never watched Glee which is good I think as i've never seen that actor in anything else so it doesn't colour my opinion. It seems to be 9 episodes though - not sure how they're going to sustain it that long.

I actually wasn't as mad about the OJ series as everyone else seemed to be, I thought the documentary was far better so perhaps that helps as well as i'm not having to compare this unfavourably.

Lentilbaby Fri 09-Mar-18 21:15:05

Just watching the second episode now on iPlayer. OMG.....Penelope Cruz is not even trying to sound remotely Italian.....she's a Hollywood actor ffs! It's uncomfortable viewing but I think I'm enjoying it so far confused

Dippingmytoesin Tue 13-Mar-18 20:24:33

I hate how embellished Andrew Cunananes side is I know it’s for the drama of the series but so much of it is made up it’s annoying eg he never ever met versace in person he was just obsessed but this show is obviously making out they had a past.

Not sure how it’s going to stretch to 9 whole episodes.

I don’t think Donatella comes across well at all on this no wonder she’s apparently got issues with it!

Autumnchill Tue 13-Mar-18 20:34:17

I listened recently to a 48hr Crime podcast which covered how he was caught. Enjoying it but think 9 episodes is stretching it!

squarecorners Tue 13-Mar-18 23:08:43

Versace is only in about ten minutes of the rest of the episodes I've seen. I think I'm up to number 6 or 7. Most of the series is legit how the killer went round murdering various boyfriends and pretending he was rich and successful whilst demonstrably not being. I'm really bored of it tbh.

southeastdweller Wed 14-Mar-18 09:36:34

Such terrible casting with Penelope Cruz as Donatella.

I read here that Cunanan and Versace did meet at least once.

SinisterBumFacedCat Wed 14-Mar-18 19:42:00

I have to put the subtitles on for Donatello/Penelope! Enjoying it but not as good as the OJ, that left me feeling sad and angry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: