Talk

Advanced search

Actors should stick to one role

(21 Posts)
lucydogz Sun 18-Feb-18 19:52:41

I'm watching Hold the Sunset (but not for much longer as it's been rubbish so far) but finding it very disturbing to see Jason Watkins, so wonderfully evil in Taboo, as a completely different character in this. Yes, I do know i'm being unreasonable, but when you love and actor in one role, it's so hard to see them in another

MrsJayy Sun 18-Feb-18 19:56:15

I turned it over wasn'tgreat was it? Alison steadman is a great actress now she is just Pamela from Gavin n Stacey

Snugglepiggy Sun 18-Feb-18 20:11:55

Agree about Alison Steadman.She was in that other later in life sit-com ,Boomers I think it was,fairly recently.And although no doubt talented,seems to take these very samey,and shouty roles lately. I was actually expecting John Cleese to be the main irritant in this,and didn't have high hopes for it but actually thought his character was his acting was the least cringe inducing thing about it.

busyboysmum Sun 18-Feb-18 20:14:42

Did JC look weirdly plastic surgeried to anyone else?

And why are most British sit coms so crap?

G&S was the best but wasn't really a sit com I guess.

MrsJayy Sun 18-Feb-18 20:17:59

Jc certainly has had work done he is78/9 And hardly a sag

WhereBeThatBlackbirdTo Sun 18-Feb-18 20:20:15

Jason Atkins was Herrick in Being Human - the lead vampire. I can’t trust him now!

WhereBeThatBlackbirdTo Sun 18-Feb-18 20:20:59

<Watkins> bloody iPad!!

Svalberg Sun 18-Feb-18 21:40:59

I stopped watching Corrie when Sinbad from Brookie turned up in it.

Gwenhwyfar Fri 23-Feb-18 07:11:19

James Nesbitt played a horrible, horrible man in a drama based on a true story in Northern Ireland. When they then put the old Cold Feet online I couldn't look at him in it without wanting to shoot him. It wore off though.

EdmundSlackbladder Fri 09-Mar-18 16:25:03

Jason Watkins also played Gavin in Trollied. Really odd watching it after seeing him play Herrick.

cushioncovers Sat 10-Mar-18 09:58:49

Yes I agree with that. When I saw Jason Watkins in the ' lost honour of Christopher Jenkins' I wasshock

cushioncovers Sat 10-Mar-18 10:05:06

And I never been able to see Kevin Whatley as anything else but the character in the tv drama Trip Trap in 1996 he played an abusive husband who was a headteacher and seemed perfect to everyone else but was awful at home.

Flomper Sat 10-Mar-18 10:57:47

i find this with thd guy sho is the real dad in Shetland but is the weird bloke in Catastrophe (silver haired chap). Hes in bloody everything and normally plays psychos so i keep expecting him ro kill someone in Shetland.

SadieHH Sat 10-Mar-18 11:00:29

No, Kevin Whately is Neville. Even in Inspector Morse he was Neville grin

jedenfalls Sat 10-Mar-18 11:01:38

I love Jason Watkins.

He seems to have avoided being typecast, and plays the magnificently evil Herrick. Really spine chilling.

Then something like that headmaster in Nativity

He’s brill.

Slartybartfast Sat 10-Mar-18 11:02:56

agree totally @cushioncovers about kevin whately - cannot bear him - so menacing

Loonoon Sun 11-Mar-18 00:59:26

I recently saw Jason Watkins playing a paedophile serial killer in a play called Frozen (currently at the Theatre Royal Haymarket). He was absolutely brilliant, such a versatile actor. And apparently a very nice man too.

InfiniteSheldon Mon 12-Mar-18 13:18:05

Trip Trap was brilliant!

AgathaRaisonDetra Mon 12-Mar-18 13:20:22

Isn’t this what actors do? They play different parts hmm

elQuintoConyo Mon 12-Mar-18 13:23:32

People raved about the 'silver fox' from NCIS, turns out it is Mark Harmen who i saw in a tv miniseries about Ted Bundy <shudder> sorry Mark.

I think some actors do such a good job of encapsulating a character that it is difficult to see them as anything else. I predict no one from Big Bang will go onto greater things, except perhaps Jim Parsons (he made a great human-alternative Muppet!).

But yy to a previous poster, Kevin Whately will always be Neville grin

iklboo Mon 12-Mar-18 13:30:42

YY to Jason Watkins. He was so marvellously evil as Herrick - and he played him with a bit of humour too so when I see JW in other roles I'm just waiting for him to tear someone's throat out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: