Talk

Advanced search

Time travel show recommendations

(34 Posts)
morningtoncrescent62 Sun 11-Feb-18 17:47:20

The 'nominate your favourite show' thread got me thinking about how much I like time travel TV shows (and novels). I have really vivid memories of watching Timeslip, The Tomorrow People and Come Back, Lucy, as well as Doctor Who of course, as a child. And Goodnight Sweetheart remains one of my favourites - I keep watching repeats on Drama.

So, what are your favourite time travel shows? Are there any good ones around at the moment? There was one that I caught the last episode of a couple of months ago, with a jazz group who'd travelled to the 1920s, but I managed to miss most of the series.

JustDanceAddict Sun 11-Feb-18 18:37:13

Quantum Leap was a good one

Rhubarb01 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:52:10

Timeless - season one available on Netflix and season two currently filming. It was originally shown on E4. Lots of fun, great for history lovers and an overarching conspiracy plot.

Silvertap Sun 11-Feb-18 18:53:03

You need to enter the world of outlander......

EllaHen Sun 11-Feb-18 18:53:50

The kids and I are really enjoying Timeless on Netflix.

Yy to Quantum Leap.

Also, Outlander.

morningtoncrescent62 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:08:25

Oh, of course, Quantum Leap. Loved that.

What's Outlander about?

CoughArghCoughArghCough Sun 11-Feb-18 21:42:19

I'm still upset that Flashforward was cut off in its prime, and that must have been 10 years ago!

Plot:
"After the entire world's population blacks out for approximately 2 minutes and 17 seconds, which in effect causes the entire world to see a glimpse of life 6 months into the future, an elite FBI task force is formed to investigate who/what caused the global blackout, whether the events foreseen were simply flashes or true events of what's to come, and whether or not it could possibly happen again."

Unfortunately unlikely to be on TV again, but there is a book of the same name that the tv series was based on.

Etymology23 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:45:04

I’m enjoying travellers and continuum atm - but that’s people travelling back to now rather than vice versa. I also really enjoyed timeless.

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sun 11-Feb-18 21:47:25

Lost in Austen, cheesy fluff about a woman who goes into the world of Pride and Prejudice.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 11-Feb-18 21:48:54

Looper was an interesting idea, but I agree with PPs that Timeless is a good one

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 11-Feb-18 21:50:58

Lost In Austen is very funny.

rosybell Sun 11-Feb-18 22:01:46

I recommend Dark on Netflix. It can be confusing - as many time travel shows are - but it is well worth watching.

Twiceover Sun 11-Feb-18 22:04:42

Dark on Netflix. German small town time travel mystery. V confusing but good!

BagelGoesWalking Mon 12-Feb-18 01:00:57

If you enjoyed Timeless, read the St Mary's Chronicles by Jodi Taylor. You'll probably love them!

ValleyClouds Mon 12-Feb-18 01:10:51

Came here to say Dark

Only one series as yet, but it was so good.

Outlander is problematic a lot of it is cheesy af

Pemba Mon 12-Feb-18 01:24:50

Dark sounds really good, just watched the trailer on Netflix, but it seems to be in English. Is it dubbed shock ? (Can't stand dubbing, prefer subtitles.)

ButterfliesandMoths Mon 12-Feb-18 01:26:33

Twelve Monkeys on sci-fi but I think it's just gone on to Netflix as well. Excellent series, I love it.

ValleyClouds Mon 12-Feb-18 01:41:32

Pemba the dubbing comes on automatically but can be easily switched over to German with subtitles.

I've just had a look at Timeless, it's got Scotty from Suits, Kovac from ER, and Christopher from Gilmore Girls - Sold!

FakeMews Mon 12-Feb-18 16:23:40

Travellers, Timeless and Frequency.
Travellers - people come here from the future on a mission to save the world.
Timeless - people travel back in a time machine, slightly twee but some good historical settings. Very family friendly.
Frequency - cop talks to her (now dead) father in the past. Love this one.

morningtoncrescent62 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:03:09

I really like the sound of Frequency and Flashforward - I've ordered the DVDs!

FakeMews Mon 12-Feb-18 18:14:23

morningtoncrescent62 DVDs? Netflix is only £6 a month! You can probably get a free trial as well.
ValleyClouds Yes Scotty! She popped up in an early episode of Castle I was watching last week smile

CaptainKirkssparetupee Mon 12-Feb-18 18:16:37

Anyone remember "crime traveller" with Michael French from EastEnders.

tararabumdeay Mon 12-Feb-18 18:31:17

Just checked out an old one I remember from college.
'The Flipside of Dominick Hide' is available on youtube. A bit grainy but it's a proper play with words not all the explosions, bangs and crashes usually seen in flashy new stuff.

tararabumdeay Mon 12-Feb-18 18:37:37

Sorry pressed send too soon.

'Goodnight Sweetheart' it maybe where they got the idea from. And your name is MC - it's set near the Frog and Firkin in Ladbrooke Grove so a quick jaunt.

UnimaginativeUsername Mon 12-Feb-18 18:39:46

I really liked timeless too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now