Talk

Advanced search

Altered Carbon is a new series on Netflix

(20 Posts)
BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 02-Feb-18 11:41:47

I really enjoyed the books so I'm a bit nervous of watching the series. I get so annoyed if they haven't got the personalities right or change the story in a way that stops the plot making sense. On the plus side, it must be at least a decade since I read the books, so I only have a partial memory of the plot.

In reverse, I have been completely hooked on The Expanse, and am holding off on reading the books until they have finished making the TV series because I'm completely committed to the plot and characters and don't want to find that they are slightly different in the books.

GhostsToMonsoon Fri 02-Feb-18 13:48:40

My DH really liked the book but I haven't read it. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi but will give it a go.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 02-Feb-18 14:02:18

I’ve watched one episode and I think it’s fantastic. Both actors playing Takeshi Kovacs are really good. The product quality is very high too. The world is a little too similar to the new Blade Runner IMO and not exactly how I imagined it to be from the book but the plot is true to the book from what I remember.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 02-Feb-18 21:08:08

I haven't read the books that Altered Carbon or The Expanse are based on (which is weird as I read a lot of sci-fi).

I like The Expanse and plan to try Altered Carbon.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 02-Feb-18 22:13:02

I'm a few episodes in now, and feel that I should mention how incredibly hot the re-sleeved Kovacs is, and that he spends quite a bit of screen time topless or nude. You know, so that those with delicate sensibilities can avoid it.

I remember there being a bit of sex in the books, but I don't remember there being so much nudity. It's surprising given that the weather looks fairly chilly in the future, you would think sturdy thermals would be all the rage. grin

itstheyearzero Sat 03-Feb-18 10:54:23

Worth watching for Joel Kinnaman alone. Phwoar!

SweetSummerchild Sat 03-Feb-18 11:01:07

I read the book many, many years ago, so have forgotten much of the plot. I’ve also read a few of the others in the series (Broken Angels and Woken Furies among others). DH started watching the previews a month or so ago and didn’t even realise we had the books in the cupboard. He’s about 3/4 of the way through and so much more up to date with the story compared to me.

We’re only one episode in, but so far I’m quite impressed. There are a few minor changes that I picked up on - such as the length of time Kovacs has been on ice and the Bancroft residence - but I’m pretty impressed with the adaptation so far.

Flomper Sat 03-Feb-18 11:49:46

I love The Expanse and am similarly holding off on the books!

Im 5 episodes into Altered Carbon (never read the books despite also reading a lot of sci fi) and am enjoying it. Its not as immersive as Bladerunner and isnt quite The Expanse but id recommend it.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Sat 03-Feb-18 11:51:56

Joel Kinnaman

We are watching The Killing at the moment. He is growing on me.

Flomper Sat 03-Feb-18 11:52:55

I do see what you mean about Joel Kinnaman but I find his back a bit too broad! Hes like an upside down triangle! Have you all seen the full frontal yet? (sadly, not his) Digitally enhanced or not do we reckon?

missnevermind Sat 03-Feb-18 11:53:59

I was gettting a Blade Runner vibe from the series. I thought a lot of the backdrop was the same and the food vendors etc. I am glad that others have picked up on it.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 03-Feb-18 14:35:53

I think I'm more attracted to the character than the actor and the attraction to the character is letting me appreciate his physical assets. grin I don't normally go for that chiselled, fair, athletic type. There are a few Scandi actors around who are quite similar in style and I find them a bit inscrutable and hard to read their emotions.

The constant smoking is a bit grating, it makes the story seem a bit dated although it's futuristic. It's what people in the past considered the future might be like IYSWIM.

Some of it is hilarious, I can't remember whether the books were funny in that way, like granny coming to the day of the dead meal in a special offer sleeve. grin

Delphinius Sat 03-Feb-18 14:45:23

The Expanse was amazing. Completely hooked on the different plot threads, characters and sets/cgi. I was desperate to start Altered Carbon last night but OH said 'can't we watch normal TV like Have I Got News For You?' 😥

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 03-Feb-18 16:16:59

Delphinius, I don't often say this but have you considered LTB? wink

Delphinius Sat 03-Feb-18 18:07:06

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Haha!

afrikat Mon 05-Feb-18 07:37:57

I've finished the series and absolutely loved it, so much so that I am starting again as there was so much that I missed in the first few episodes.
Major crush on both Kovachs too!

HmmmHashtag Mon 05-Feb-18 07:41:29

I'm not usually a sci fi fan but I watched the first 3 episodes yesterday and I'm hooked!

GreatWesternValkyrie Mon 05-Feb-18 23:44:02

I’ve just watched the first three as well, really enjoying it so far despite a couple of dodgy accents thrown in. Loving The Poe character as a bit of an antidote to the rest.

Flomper I think it may have been a prosethetic, it seemed more <ahem> generous than it was in Rome, but that was an outdoor scene! It made me hanker for the next season of American Gods though grin

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 11-Feb-18 15:03:45

I finished the series during the week. I definitely hadn't remembered that plot, which is a good thing as I didn't see any of the twists coming. shock

Isn't the actress playing his sister absolutely stunningly beautiful? Such gorgeous skin.

laudanum Sun 11-Feb-18 16:13:03

The series is really, really good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: