HolyShmoly Thu 04-Jan-18 22:25:29

Anyone watching?

Scrowy Thu 04-Jan-18 22:27:57

Yes

Enjoying it too!

juneybean Thu 04-Jan-18 22:29:54

Yes think it's hilarious but the main girls mouth is annoying me

treaclesoda Thu 04-Jan-18 22:30:15

I'm planning to watch it on catch up. Forgot about it until about ten minutes after it had started so couldn't watch it 'live'.

madamginger Thu 04-Jan-18 22:31:10

I Am, I’m enjoying it too!

peanut2017 Thu 04-Jan-18 22:40:33

Didn't really like it. Really wanted to. Thought the main character was overacting. The mother is good and the grandad. Also the friend with the curly hair in a pony tail is really good. Will watch it again and hopefully will like it more

HolyShmoly Thu 04-Jan-18 23:04:01

The main one (Erin?) was the weakest one for me too. Partly cause I think her hair and makeup seem a bit too modern. Although I can kind of forgive the overacting because I was occasionally prone to overacting myself as a teenager.
Really enjoyed the curly haired one (Michelle?) and the absolutely fucking inconvenience of the bomb on the high level bridge.

GlennRheeismyfavourite Thu 04-Jan-18 23:43:45

Enjoyed it - totally agree about the hair being too modern - plus no one's eyebrows were that good back in the nineties!!

TheweewitchRoz Thu 04-Jan-18 23:46:01

I really enjoyed it too - made me laugh out loud especially with all the inconvenience of the bomb.

Agree about the main actress though - over acting & looks far too old. Loved the curly haired friend.

mrwalkensir Fri 05-Jan-18 00:01:56

they all look too old, but it really sounds like the childhood my friends had, and the music is great - loving it

mamaiFifi Fri 05-Jan-18 00:04:32

Very good - but I am from the North.
I would imagine it would be hard for English people to understand their accents?

TheweewitchRoz Fri 05-Jan-18 00:08:31

I thought their accents sounded quite false as they seemed toned down & not quite natural (except for the friend), so I assumed that was deliberate for wider audiences to understand it. My Derry friends have much stronger accents than what was in the show.

mamaiFifi Fri 05-Jan-18 00:19:12

Yeh to me they were very polite Derry accents alright but as you said that would be needed to be understood and even at that I think some people with no experiences of the Derry accent and slang would struggle.

EachandEveryone Fri 05-Jan-18 00:56:33

I really enjoyed it but i know nothing about it. Is it based on someones real teenage years? What year is it meant to be? Loved the music but someof it was from the 80's and others from the 90's so that threw me.

CoolCarrie Fri 05-Jan-18 00:57:54

Very funny I enjoyed it, especially the dead 98 year old nun!

WillowWitch Fri 05-Jan-18 01:11:33

I really enjoyed it. The bomb on the bridge was funny (who'd have thought eh?)

Agree that the girls are a bit old and the hairstyles are not quite what they should be but I can get passed that.

ToffeeNosed Fri 05-Jan-18 01:13:45

No turned off half way. Thought it was going to be more gritty and deep. Not like a mixture of Mrs Browns Boys and Benidorm. And yes lead was annoying gurning all the time.

Choccywoccyhooha Fri 05-Jan-18 01:29:20

I'm hugely disappointed by the fact that they haven't used an all-local cast for the girls. Some of the accents were generic NI and some not even that. I'm sure that there are loads of young actresses in the drama clubs in Derry who would have made an excellent go of this. I read that one of the actresses tried to pick up the Derry accent by watching old clips of Nadine Coyle on Popstars! Some of the colloquialisms felt unnatural and "shoed-in" to try to show how "authentic" they were being too, rather than it feeling a natural pattern of speech.

Ach, well.

BitOfFun Fri 05-Jan-18 01:30:43

I loved it. So funny, and it brought back a lot of memories.

MrsDoyleFallingOutTheWindow Fri 05-Jan-18 01:33:06

The gurning was off putting and agree that the politeness of the accents grated. But I really enjoyed the 2nd half which had some genuinely funny moments and I love the curly updo haired girl friend - she has great timing.

BitOfFun Fri 05-Jan-18 01:35:36

The facial expressions cracked me up- I didn't see it as gurning at all, just an exaggeration of the teenage expression of injustice, which I'm very familiar with grin.

SuperBeagle Fri 05-Jan-18 01:48:05

I saw the ads for it when I was in the UK last month. I'm going to try to find it online (and watchable from Australia!) when it get home from work. Looked good!

MinorRSole Fri 05-Jan-18 01:55:04

I enjoyed it. I lived in Northern Ireland during the late 80s/early 90s so was a bit nostalgic I guess. I remember my mum refusing to leave for a bomb threat because she didn't have her face on. We just didn't take it too seriously, looking back we should have but it was just normal

Weezol Fri 05-Jan-18 02:04:56

I was a little older than them at that point in history and not in NI, but it did remind me of school in that era. I reckon it will take a bit to bed in, but it could be good. The curls and the huge hoops on the gobby one were very much the thing with the cool girls at my school.

Thermowoman Fri 05-Jan-18 02:15:42

SuperBeagle, if you find it please let me know. I'm also in Oz, but would like to see if it reminds me of my youth. grin. I'm hoping its more Father Ted than Mrs Browns Boys though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now