Talk

Advanced search

Derry Girls, anyone planning on watching?

(86 Posts)
Mumguiltisabitch Thu 04-Jan-18 17:17:26

Looking forward to this especially having been a teenager in the 90s about an hour from Derry! Some good cast members also. I haven't even seen a trailer, I don't watch much tv, I take one series of a show at a time so hope it's worthy grin Anyone else planning on watching?

GetHappy Thu 04-Jan-18 19:17:43

I’m planning on watching .... hoping to stay awake for it but had an early start with DD

Cocolepew Thu 04-Jan-18 19:28:31

Me, I saw a trailer on fb and it looked good. Hopefully they didn't show all the good bits.

Rainbowmother Thu 04-Jan-18 19:30:52

Yes I'm taping it, I would have been the same age as them in the 90s so should be interesting

MandaraSugar Sun 07-Jan-18 11:40:24

What did everyone think? I thought it picked up in the 2nd half, 1st half wasn't that comical. Erin's (Saoirse-Monica Jackson) delivery was a bit...overdramatic. I get she was trying to give off that overly emotional teenager vibe, but it didn't work for me. Hoping Tommy Tiernan will feature in it more!

Cocolepew Sun 07-Jan-18 12:13:15

I enjoyed it the main lead was a bit ott but I did laugh.

SnowannaRainbow Sun 07-Jan-18 19:01:28

I recorded it and watched today. It was good, I laughed out loud several times.

"Macaulay Culkin isn't a protestant, mum" grin

Mumguiltisabitch Sun 07-Jan-18 23:18:49

I really enjoyed it! Really funny but agree Erin was a bit over the top. She also looked a bit too modern! Loved the curly haired best friend, didn't really get the stoned cousin.

TooManyWIPs Sun 07-Jan-18 23:30:04

Forgot how strong the "city-side" accent was, originally from the other side (of craigavon bridge) and difference is marked considering same city.
Enjoyed the distinct humour which i miss but the bobby sands joke may have crossed line.
School clearly based on Thornhill, McGee obviously using dramatic licence as in reality james would have gone to the intergrated or my old school.
The OTT acting is standard for programmes from back home (e.g. give my head piece)
Hope there's more from Da & Granda as both good actors.

MandaraSugar Mon 08-Jan-18 09:42:45

I laughed a lot at them facing the wrath of 'Big Mandy'! Went to an all girls convent myself and could imagine this happening!

Agreed Mumguiltisabitch Erin looked much older/polished than 16, she is nearly 24 in RL so maybe that was it!

WeShouldOpenABar Mon 08-Jan-18 09:49:53

Agree Erin's face was a bit over dramatic but otherwise I loved it, first thing I've laughed out loud at in ages. I hope Tommy Tiernan doesn't start to feature more I can't stand him

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 11-Jan-18 22:44:45

Did anyone watch this evening? I laughed my head off. Erin’s face is getting even more irritating!

MrsFrTedCrilly Thu 11-Jan-18 22:51:38

I enjoyed it but then I was at a convent school in the 90’s not a hundred miles away. Totally agree with the comments about Erin’s face, Michelle character I could name too that I went to school with!!

MrsFrTedCrilly Thu 11-Jan-18 22:52:37

Two..not too, bloody nuns would be horrified grin

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 11-Jan-18 22:54:32

Same! My cousin was a Michele grin I wanted to be a Michelle but I was nowhere near mouthy enough.

notgivingin789 Thu 11-Jan-18 22:57:24

Very boring. Thought some of the actors were over the top.

betgilroy Fri 12-Jan-18 13:45:33

I was hoping it would be a bit like My Mad Fat Diary which was brilliant. But it's pretty average so far. Lead role is ridiculous with her gurning face
Some bits are funny though

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Fri 12-Jan-18 13:48:46

The lead girl reminds me of Emma Stone

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 12-Jan-18 13:52:00

Oh I hated mad fat diary. Very glad it’s not like that at all. grin

EachandEveryone Sat 13-Jan-18 00:19:44

Oh im really enjoying this. Is it based on a true family?

Bluesue26 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:01:21

Im enjoying it, however I have to agree about the woman who plays Erin. The over acting is really grating on me.

Loonoonow Sat 13-Jan-18 11:58:09

I loved it and I loved Erin and I loved her face. She is going to play Caitlin in the new cast of The Ferryman in the West End. I've seen it before but I might go again to see what difference a new cast will make.

My DDs were both very over dramatic teenagers and she reminds me of them.

MrsJayy Sat 13-Jan-18 14:46:07

I am really enjoying it makes me lol, I am struggiling with meecheellles grin accent though i thought she said Dead protesants when she infact said dead cat posters blush

MrsJayy Sat 13-Jan-18 14:47:41

I think Erin has the over dramatic teenager perfectly I had an "Erin"

Cocolepew Sat 13-Jan-18 15:00:36

I loved it when the blonde girl said she thought drinking the booze was "a mistake", and Michelles replied, "so were those ski pants but it didnt stop you pulling them over your hole this morning" 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: