Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone explain to me about NOW TV?

(25 Posts)
Pinkhoodie Sat 02-Dec-17 18:06:14

After having some issues getting Sky installed at my new house, they've agreed to give me a free now tv box for over Christmas.

But can anyone tell me, can I watch normal tv on it, as in bbc1 and itv?

I only really watch the soaps and the kids watch cbbc, I'm not interested in boxsets I just want the regular channels.

MongerTruffle Sat 02-Dec-17 18:10:51

You buy passes which renew every month if you don't cancel them. There are Entertainment (all the basic Sky-owned channels), Cinema (all Sky Cinema channels), Sports and Kids (all children''s channels). They include on-demand content as well. If you get a Now TV Smart box, which is about £15 more expensive, you can plug in an aerial and watch the normal Freeview channels. If you get the normal Now TV box, you can buy Now TV passes or use the basic on demand apps like BBC iPlayer, 4 on demand etc.

rosesarered9 Sat 02-Dec-17 18:11:41

Now TV is a supplement, not substitute for Freeview.

ruddynorah Sat 02-Dec-17 18:14:21

No it's not for normal watch live channels. It's for the things you don't want. Maybe you just need a freeview box instead? Why get sky at all?

Pinkhoodie Sat 02-Dec-17 18:17:19

We have the sky because my husband and son like the sky sports, plus we did initially have the bundle with all the kids channels.

I'm concerned I won't be able to watch the soaps over Christmas on this box they're sending me.

Pinkhoodie Sat 02-Dec-17 18:18:48

Will I be able to download the soaps on it even if I can't watch them live?

EmeliSandpit Sat 02-Dec-17 18:20:02

most tv's already have Freeview on them. Do you have a normal tv aerial that you can use?

Pinkhoodie Sat 02-Dec-17 18:23:34

We've got an aerial but our tv is really old and doesn't have free view.

Pinkhoodie Sat 02-Dec-17 18:24:35

I'm starting to realise how behind the times I am.

MongerTruffle Sat 02-Dec-17 18:30:35

Will I be able to download the soaps on it even if I can't watch them live?

You'll be able to use iPlayer/ITV Player etc.
help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-my-now-tv-box

Mc180768 Sat 02-Dec-17 18:36:04

Buy a digibox OP, link to your TV with a scart lead. You will get all the free view channels and terrestial channels. My mother had an old TV and this worked fine for her. You should be able to get one for £10 or so.

OMGtwins Sat 02-Dec-17 18:56:49

What set up do you have? In terms of tv, aerials/sky dish, and any extra boxes?

What do you want to be able to do? Watch live TV, watch programmes later, download and keep programmes for ages (longer than 30 days, which is how long most programmes are available on catch up)?

OMGtwins Sat 02-Dec-17 18:59:49

Also, what speed and download limit is your broadband?

SmellySphinx Sat 02-Dec-17 19:02:37

You can only watch freeview through a Smart NowTv Box not a regular one. Maybe get back onto them and ask for a Smart box

SmellySphinx Sat 02-Dec-17 19:04:16

Or check and see which one they are sending

SmellySphinx Sat 02-Dec-17 19:07:13

Obviously you can purchase the monthly passes etc too but get freeview aswell

MrsSthe3rd Sat 02-Dec-17 20:16:21

I noticed Asda have got the smart version in, for 22.50 at the moment. (I'm considering one for my Mum)

Can these be used with the 3 Mifi (mobile broadband)?

Mulch Sat 02-Dec-17 20:21:52

I've got one after my firestick broke. They sent me a free refurbished one but it never fricken works so gone back to firestick

SmellySphinx Sun 03-Dec-17 00:08:40

@MrsSthe3rd You can use them with wireless broadband as well as ethernet so yes I expect so. We recently got one on offer as well as having the regular boxes

SmellySphinx Sun 03-Dec-17 00:18:13

@MrsSthe3rd watching anything via the entertainment/movies/box sets apps etc basically streaming stuff through the NowTv box uses a lot of data just so you know.

Obviously the freeview service doesn't use data, just needs the tv aeriel plugged into the box

Hauntedlobster Sun 03-Dec-17 00:30:43

My now tv box from talk talk lets me watch normal tv

skankingpiglet Sun 03-Dec-17 00:31:33

We have recently signed up to Now TV and I've been pretty pleased with it so far. It's been great for films and the boxsets look good if they were your thing (they're not mine either). The things which drive me nuts are no numbers on the remote for accessing live TV, meaning I have to scroll through and cBeebies is a far way down, and that I can't record live TV. The former I expect may be a deal breaker for you OP and I'm going to have to suck up, the latter DH has been told he needs to remedy before the Xmas scheduling kicks off (as the switch from Sky is his baby). The DCs were still happily watching and rewatching The Gruffalo/Revolting Rhymes/Frozen etc etc in June that we recorded last Xmas.

MrsSthe3rd Sun 03-Dec-17 16:40:47

@SmellySphinx thank you. I'll double check how much data they currently have. Although, I'm sure it's unlimited.

Frith1975 Tue 05-Dec-17 23:56:08

My NOWtv box lets me watch the usual channels plus S4C that we can’t get properly through the aerial.

We also use it for iplayer etc.

EachandEveryone Wed 06-Dec-17 01:12:21

My mum has a box as she’s sport mad and pays the £33 a month she also watches her soaps on it but it has to connect to your internet doesn’t it? If you don’t miss the sky planner I really wouldn’t go down the Sky route again and just use Nowtv.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now