Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Death on Campus BBC catchup

(5 Posts)
EMSMUM16 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:22:57

Has anyone watched this, a bit disturbing but really eye opening about young students with loads of academic potential getting under pressure to do really well (oxford uni etc) and then feeling they have no way out when they don't do as well as they feel they should. Made me think about the pressure these kids are under when they get to the high profile uni's.
Did anyone think that the GP for one of the boys could have done more? (I know they don't like being criticised) I felt that the college were quite supportive, or tried to be, such a shame that the young lad felt he could not open up to anyone. I just think that the GP could have gone to see him after the uni had called a second time to say they were still worried about him. I wondered whether this was a bit of a cry for help from the uni to the GP for some medical follow up.
Anyone seen this?

Twogirlsandme Wed 15-Nov-17 17:51:13

I watched it. I thought it was so sad, the despair of the young people and the devastation for the families left behind. I think it should be shown in PHSE to sixth formers.

EMSMUM16 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:01:07

Yes I have a daughter who is really academic and the school have sent her to Oxford & Cambridge to encourage her to apply. But you know this programme made me really think about the amount of pressure she'd be under. Its like that girl said, once you're there its like the best of the best & there's an obligation to do really well & work yourself to the bone. It shouldn't be like that.

Garlicansapphire Wed 15-Nov-17 20:07:21

I watched it with my 17 year old (who I hope wont be under this sort of pressure at art school). But I did say to her - you have to talk to me if you ever feel like that - you are never alone and no trouble is too big that I cant help you.

Sad that you can go from feeling a great success -achieving great A level results and all your dreams and then within a year feel an utter failure.

We both cried listening to those they left behind - brothers, sisters, girlfriends. That was the scarey thing - they weren't entirely isolated, some had just spoken to people they loved, but couldn't talk about how they were really feeling. Heart breaking.

RandomUsernameHere Wed 15-Nov-17 20:25:31

I watched this last night, it was so so sad. When I was at uni, this happened to the boyfriend of a girl I knew. He went missing and was found a week later, he had hanged himself. He had a lovely girlfriend and by all accounts a wonderful supportive family. He had fallen a bit behind with his studies and couldn't cope with the pressure. So incredibly sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now