Talk

Advanced search

The Crown series 3 recasting. Who will be the new Prince Philip?

(13 Posts)
CoolCarrie Sat 11-Nov-17 13:57:41

Now we now Olivia Coleman is taking over as the Queen, who can we expect to see as Prince Philip, Margaret etc?
They have already featured one of the actors I could have seen in the role, Alex Jennings who plays the Duke of Windsor, so he is out, but
Colin Firth seems to fit the bill.
What suggestions do you have?

southeastdweller Sun 12-Nov-17 10:54:49

I love Colin but he looks nothing like PP. How about Iain Glen from Game of Thrones? For Princess Margaret, I'd like to see Minnie Driver play her.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 12-Nov-17 10:55:52

Colin Firth is too old.

NapQueen Sun 12-Nov-17 10:58:51

Iain glen would be brilliant!

NapQueen Sun 12-Nov-17 11:01:35

Margaret - Julia sawalaha

YesThisIsMe Sun 12-Nov-17 11:03:30

This is the Radio Times poll.
Of these options I think Tennant is a terrible idea. Mark Strong ugh be good for the next line up (I love him). Tobias Menzies is an inspired idea but I don’t know whether his Outlander commitments would allow it. Cumberbatch could be great but he’s hardly going to take the job - it’s not like he needs the work. Dear god please not Jude Law. Paul Bettany I can see actually taking the job - his Marvel commitments are very light because he’s not shown on screen, and he could do with some face recognition. Dunno whether he’d be any good though.

Raisedbyguineapigs Sun 12-Nov-17 11:04:26

Iain Glen would be brilliant. I was trying to think of an older actor with the same angular features as Matt Smith (and PP!) but was struggling. Hed be good though and is a good actor.

Raisedbyguineapigs Sun 12-Nov-17 11:05:30

Minnie Driver for Margaret yes!

southeastdweller Sun 12-Nov-17 11:31:41

David Tennant would be a stupid idea but I can't see them going with him anyway since it would be too weird for viewers seeing him with Olivia Colman again after three series' of Broadchurch. Paul Bettany I can see as Philip but not sure if he'd do it since him and his family live in New York.

snozzlemaid Sun 12-Nov-17 11:49:49

*[Message from MNHQ: Watch out there may be a spoiler about Outlander in this post so look away now if you're not up to date with the series.]

Tobias Menzies would be perfect.
He’s finished with filming Outlander now his characters are no more, so might be a possibility.

RhiannonOHara Sun 12-Nov-17 13:32:55

Paul Bettany does appear in some of the Marvel films, I think, rather than just doing the voice. He's just been in a US show about the Unabomber too, so may not need the money or recognition.

However, as someone has said, he lives in NYC so I can't see him committing to it. Pity; he'd be very good and would get the balance of rogueishness and stiffness perfectly.

I wouldn't mind Tennant. Benedict wouldn't do it; doesn't need it and surely he's sick of being cast only as poshos?

I don't like Tobias M but I do think he has a sort of reptilian glint that would be good for the role.

Olivia Colman will be excellent. I'll miss the current Margaret; I think she's superb.

Raisedbyguineapigs Sun 12-Nov-17 19:28:04

Tennant with Olivia Coleman would be weird, and would probably be seen as stunt casting due to the Doctor who connection, with Smith regenerating into him! I don't think he'd suit the part in any case.

CoolCarrie Sun 12-Nov-17 19:58:11

Good point about Paul Bettany , good actor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now