Talk

Advanced search

Louis Theroux - Documentaries

(25 Posts)
Ijustlovefood Fri 10-Nov-17 19:26:50

I find these really interesting, and him intact. The most recent one I watched was about the Scientology Church. It was fascinating. I had no idea about it really other than Tom Cruise is a follower. It seems utterly crazy and scary. It's founder (now dead) and current head seem nuts and it appears to be a dangerous cult. Did anyone see it?

Ijustlovefood Fri 10-Nov-17 19:27:12

Infact, not intact

TheVanguardSix Fri 10-Nov-17 19:31:15

I just love him. I watched his Scientology film on a turbulent flight back from Canada. It certainly kept my mind off of things!

Cassimin Fri 10-Nov-17 19:32:04

I did, thought it was good.
I love Louis. He looks so innocent when he asks really probing questions. It's great when he leaves long silences and the people feel the need to fill them.

frenchfancy Fri 10-Nov-17 19:36:47

I saw the one about addicts in Huntington. It was really well done.

CaptainHammer Fri 10-Nov-17 19:47:31

I love him and how he does his documentaries. The swingers one is one of my favourites!

Anasnake Fri 10-Nov-17 19:48:46

The ones he did with the Westboro baptist church were brilliant

Owletterocks Fri 10-Nov-17 19:55:31

I love Louis too! I love the way his expression just doesn't change. It's like nothing winds him up. I thought it was great the way he started filming people who were filming him. The whole Scientology thing just all seems a bit mad!

Ijustlovefood Fri 10-Nov-17 20:27:23

He's brilliantsmile

CitrusSun Fri 10-Nov-17 23:57:05

How can people rate Tom Cruise so highly when he’s part of this insanity?

CointreauVersial Fri 10-Nov-17 23:58:48

I love his documentaries usually, but I did find the Scientology one a bit dull and contrived (they are a bunch of nutters, though).

AuntAntigone Sat 11-Nov-17 00:00:47

By reason of insanity is my favourite. Miami megajail is very good too, and the brothel one...

hmmmmm Sat 11-Nov-17 00:06:56

The scientology freaks baiting that guy. Squirreling? That was awful.

elephantoverthehill Sat 11-Nov-17 00:11:43

I rate Louis, of course he did the famous Jimmy Saville one, where he did come away a bit unnerved.

JWrecks Sat 11-Nov-17 00:28:58

One thing I loved about his older documentaries was the difference in the way he was treated by the "Christian" westboro baptist church" and some actual racist neo-nazis, in America.

The nazis were open and blunt in explaining what they believed and why, and they invited him into their homes and spoke very frankly with him even after he told them that he's a Jew. They even had him over to a BBQ! The "Christian" WBC bastards, on the other hand, were complete arseholes, openly hostile and extremely rude, they refused to answer even the simplest and most innocent questions, and treated him like an enemy, long before he ever said anything less than polite. Absolutely fascinating.

He's just really great at drawing out just who people are from them. And he's ever so cheeky! Love his work.

Ijustlovefood Sat 11-Nov-17 07:26:23

I didn't know he was Jewish and Citrussun totally! Can't stand Tom Cruise personally.

MaisyPops Sat 11-Nov-17 07:29:18

I love his documentaries but haven't see the scientology one. Whrn was it on?

Mustardnowletsnotbesilly Sat 11-Nov-17 07:36:14

He isn't Jewish, he refused to tell them if he was or not and they kicked off.

Ijustlovefood Sat 11-Nov-17 07:41:12

Daisy I don't know I watched it on iplayer

Ijustlovefood Sat 11-Nov-17 07:42:10

Maisy I mean

fatfingeredfran Sat 11-Nov-17 11:16:21

@Ijustlovefood if you enjoy LT docs you’ll probably also love Jon Ronson books. Fascinating reads!

Ijustlovefood Sat 11-Nov-17 15:08:53

Fatfingered, thanks I'll take a look

packofshunts Sun 12-Nov-17 19:10:35

Just love LT (in fact DH looks a bit like him wink)

He is so deadpan and calm whatever the crazy situation. Literally nothing seems to rile him.

Scientology - just WTF!. Seemingly educated, articulate, successful people pulled into this tunnel of shit.
No wonder Katie Holmes ran for the hills. Also thought it a bit strange there was no mention of John Travolta. hmm

JustDanceAddict Sun 12-Nov-17 22:14:10

Just watched the Transgender one tonight. Cole/Crystal’s mum hit nail on head that they’re are letting Cole be ‘Cole’ so he is allowed to have his girly stuff and name when he wants, but he did say he did want to be a man when he grows up. I would love to see these kids in 10-15 years’ time.

cansu Mon 13-Nov-17 18:35:32

really like his documentaries. He manages to show issues from lots of different angles really. I just watched the transgender one and though I started off with one view, I ended up questioning myself and understanding that it was a much more complex issue than I had previously thought. Anorexia one was also very thought provoking and sensitively handled.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: