Talk

Advanced search

The A Word

(89 Posts)
GetHappy Mon 06-Nov-17 22:46:37

Starts again tomorrow....anyone watching??

Monkeybunkey Tue 07-Nov-17 13:23:37

Ooh yes. Thanks for the reminder. Was wondering what to watch tonight now GBBO has finished.

dantdmistedious Tue 07-Nov-17 13:26:17

I loved it last time - hope this is as good.

GetHappy Tue 07-Nov-17 16:47:04

Me too...

sluj Tue 07-Nov-17 21:01:53

Really need a soundtrack from series 1 and series 2 is starting beautifully too

twofalls Tue 07-Nov-17 21:09:09

I didn’t see series 1. Does anyone know if that will matter?

FancyForgetting Tue 07-Nov-17 21:14:12

All episodes of Series 1 are on the iPlayer at present 😊

twofalls Tue 07-Nov-17 21:35:11

Oh great. Thank you.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 07-Nov-17 21:56:11

Is James, the daughter's boyfriend, Don Warrington from Rising Damp's son. He's very like him, don't you think?

Noeuf Tue 07-Nov-17 21:58:27

I don’t really like it.
And the special unit thing - have they suddenly got an EHCP or did I miss that in S1?

Plus the ladder thing.

I don’t know. It doesn’t resonate for me.

Yumbo Tue 07-Nov-17 22:18:31

I so want to like this programme, but I don’t.

The mother and father of the little boy are hard to warm to.

The subplot with Christopher Eccleston and the music teacher is a bit tedious.

JustDanceAddict Tue 07-Nov-17 22:18:57

THEre is no way they would’ve got him
Into a special Unit that quickly!!! Let’s say I have working knowledge of these procedures...

hazeyjane Tue 07-Nov-17 22:21:16

I find it so infuriating, but can't tear myself away from it for the small moments that bring a lump to my throat.

Yumbo Tue 07-Nov-17 22:41:03

It’s all a bit uneasy - Joe’s father is incredibly irritating...

Namethecat Tue 07-Nov-17 22:46:45

I live in the same area. The house in in a place called Newlands Valley yet Joe takes himself off on his walk every morning in Honister Pass. The village where the music teacher lives and where the daughter ran to get her boyfriend from getting on the bus is Broughton in Furness which is about 40 miles away. I enjoy the programme but it's all over Cumbria.

Msqueen33 Tue 07-Nov-17 22:51:49

Utterly infuriating show! The bit about the Sen provision and ehcp really annoyed me as they have made it look so easy. But the bit that really offended me was when she said to her son “We’re all a little bit broken” he’s not broken. He’s autistic. Frankly I dislike the mother and grandad and found it all a bit awful. I appreciate a drama bringing autism into the mainstream but some of it was highly unrealistic.

emochild Tue 07-Nov-17 23:01:01

The biggest criticism I had of the first series were timescales around diagnosis

Looks like they are doing the same thing for education

I know it's not about the process but it's a huge thing for most families going through the administration of diagnosis and appropriate education provision -it's all consuming

Slartybartfast Tue 07-Nov-17 23:30:12

it is annoying, the mother very much so. And why leave the ladders lying around.
quite boring, but again I couldnt stop watching.

Slartybartfast Tue 07-Nov-17 23:30:49

in series one wasnt he offered a Special School?, so wasnt that just on the back burner because they turned it down?

Emily7708 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:54:57

I hate this programme but can’t stop myself from watching it.

It’s yet another series where the child is a quirky autistic savant who is fairly obedient, likeable and has excellent comprehension. People will watch it and think it is a realistic representation of an autistic child - well maybe it is of someone at the very mild end of the spectrum. It certainly bears no resemblance whatsoever to life with my DS.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:59:12

I liked the parents struggling with how to deal with talking to joe about his autism.

But why is he always wandering off on his own in The countryside? The ladder story was ridiculous and wouldn't happen even in the shittest of schools.

Like a lot of programmes it relies too much on its setting and landscape.

The other storylines are too soapy and far fetched. I'm watching because dd has just bern diagnosed with autism and I'm interested to see how they handle the story. When he kept saying 'let me see' it brought a tear to my eye. Dd also repeats set phrases and and has that faraway look where you know you're not reaching her. So think aspects of it ring true for me.

Sleepyblueocean Wed 08-Nov-17 07:03:39

I love how the parents decide he should go to school with a unit so off he goes and especially because in that area there are no primary schools with units or any asd specific provision.

Tomorrowisanewday Wed 08-Nov-17 08:06:49

What Emily said - my friend's DD is severely autistic (non verbal, violent etc), and she went through hell trying to get her access to a school with additional support. Over an extended period, not the 5 minutes they seemed to manage it in.

VeraGrant Wed 08-Nov-17 08:16:40

I hate this programme too. A nauseatingly
sanitised version of autism that now has everyone I know thinking that’s what life with an autistic child is like.

aaandherewego Wed 08-Nov-17 10:25:59

Have to agree with pp, that this show is generally very unrealistic.

Yes, the "we're all a bit broken" line really irritated me too. If it was just a scene meant to portray a slightly clueless parent, then fine, but I don't think it was.

The sub plots are so boring. The other parents at the school are unrealistically unsupportive and aggressive towards Joe and his parents. That scene where they called a parent meeting was ridiculous! The ladder, the rude, snappy TA... Just not well made.

The only good thing about this series is the actor who plays Joe. The scene when they're explaining his autism, did make me smile (excluding the broken comment). When Joe said "the good news is, we're landing...the bad news is, we're crash landing- Madagascar 2" particularly made me smile, because my DD has some autistic traits and would say things like this smile , so I'd already clocked what film it was from the first bit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now