Talk

Advanced search

Blue Planet 2

(14 Posts)
FadedRed Sun 05-Nov-17 20:18:47

Good grief, there are some really ugly fish!!!
And some incredibly beautiful ones.
Brilliant programmes, amazing series.

PGTip Sun 05-Nov-17 20:20:03

Amazing programme, love love loved it

KingMortificadosMistress Sun 05-Nov-17 20:31:54

Finding it a bit lacking in detail to be honest.

It's like

here's an interesting fish and off it goes.
here's an interesting octopus and there it goes.
here comes it's predator.

Ironically, it's all very surface and little depth.

I've spent most of it googling for more real info on the actual species.

It's also annoying because you see bits of it and think "there's no way that's in the sea because of the lighting" and you can't work out which is real or which is faked in the studio.

Looks pretty though.

I think it's a symptom of short attention span society.

FadedRed Sun 05-Nov-17 20:56:43

It was the fish with the transparent head that prompted the post, then those plug-ugly big teeth fish with the scary face.
KM'sMistress yes, there is a lack of detail, now you mention it. And I had no idea anything was fakes in a studio - that's disappointing....

FadedRed Sun 05-Nov-17 20:57:24

faked

Apileofballyhoo Sun 05-Nov-17 20:59:36

Faked in the studio?

Caspiana Sun 05-Nov-17 21:00:38

It’s faked?!

KingMortificadosMistress Sun 05-Nov-17 21:10:25

Well faked in a lab which amounts to the same thing. There's alot on this if you search:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5007471/Sir-David-Attenborough-91-says-NO-plans-retire.html

(Link is misleading title of article is *BBC in new fakery row as it emerges viewers WON'T be told when scenes in flagship documentary Blue Planet II were filmed in laboratories rather than the wild*)

The FangTooth was filmed in a tank on a ship for example.

I think they should have a little icon in the corner so you know what you are seeing.

specialsubject Sun 05-Nov-17 21:10:55

The shots of the Mariana trench are CGI mockups from scans, as the narrative sort of said.

What a shame. Too dumbed down, no detail and even the making of was all human interest and zero science. For the brickphone generation with tiny attention spans, dull as dull for the rest of us.

KingMortificadosMistress Sun 05-Nov-17 21:22:48

Totally agree specialsubject. The lack of detail was so irritating.

That barelleyed fish (the one with the see through skull) is really interesting as I discovered through the power of google. The black dot things that look like eyes are it's nose and the green things are its eyes.
It can rotate them over 90 degrees to move them from looking up through the jelly to looking towards it's mouth when it feeds.

The flapjack octopus also very interesting (as well as supercute).

I remember when you used to get more indepth info in natural history progs.

Very superficial and dumbed down. I don't want to just look at it and go "oooh pretty" or "ooh ugly" I want to know all about these creatures and how they biologically survive under pressure without light and so on.

KingMortificadosMistress Sun 05-Nov-17 21:24:19

National Geographic Video from 2009 on the barelleyed fish that in 1.56 minutes gives you a ton more information.

KingMortificadosMistress Sun 05-Nov-17 21:25:31

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoygy-8PTtU

CoolCarrie Sun 05-Nov-17 21:36:09

Who knew there were such things as sea dragons? !

SleeptightDaisy Thu 09-Nov-17 22:18:45

Octonauts knew ages ago about sea dragons grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now