Talk

Advanced search

Junior Doctors: Blood, Sweat and Tears

(20 Posts)
Csd17 Thu 26-Oct-17 07:14:16

Has anyone watched this? I saw it on iPlayer and watched the first episode. A very interesting look at 7 junior doctors starting their careers. It turns out that being a real doctor is nothing like it’s shown to be on Grey’s Anatomy.

LazySusan11 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:56:29

Did I hear right that Osama said ‘I’ve got a thing about touching peoples private parts’ or did I lose my hearing temporarily?!

Csd17 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:21:56

Pahaha. I don’t remember if he quite phrased it like that.

Csd17 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:24:53

What I do remember thinking was that Emeka could turn down his energy level while inserting a cannula.

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 26-Oct-17 21:37:26

I went back and replayed that. He definitely said he had a thing about touching people's private parts, but then I couldn't tell what he said, whether he was scared of doing it or looking forward to it. Subtitles won't work on catch up on my TV.

willdoitinaminute Thu 26-Oct-17 22:16:25

I watched it on iPlayer last night. Found it hysterical when the young male doc explained ‘spending a penny’ to camera and he was serious.

PollyHasAKettle Fri 27-Oct-17 07:15:29

* ‘I’ve got a thing about touching peoples private parts’*

Yes, he said exactly that and Im horrified by it. It makes me wonder if there's a bit of a cultural clash going on his head.

A laughed at the bit when one received a text from the other saying I just squatt 200 kgs. Its sounds like my SIL who's a Dr and who's well into his exercise and his dancing and his clothes

In fact we've all had a really good laugh in this family after word went round people should watch it.

LazySusan11 Fri 27-Oct-17 12:27:56

I went back and watched that but again, no subtitles available hmm he did say that and I can’t work out if he’s just a bit socially unaware or he’s creepy. I most certainly wouldn’t want him touching my private parts!

oa123 Fri 27-Oct-17 12:28:49

Hi, sorry I couldn’t help but reply after reading these comments smile

I did say that I didn’t like touching private parts but my comments were kinda taken out of context. I was asked how I felt about my job because I was generally a squeamish person before starting medical school, then I was asked how I felt about dealing with private parts specifically because I was due to start a rotation in gynaecology. Unfortunately some things make certain people abit squeamish. As doctors we are still humans and we have human emotions. Don’t worry it is not a cultural problem.

Actually ironically after completing my 4 month rotation in gynaecology I am now pretty much not squeamish about anything smile

Hope you have a blessed weekend

PollyHasAKettle Fri 27-Oct-17 13:01:21

Don’t worry it is not a cultural problem

Im part of/live in a culture where the greater majority of women wouldnt allow a male Dr to examine them (our male medics go abroad for their gynae rotation) and those that are ok with it are probably from wealthier backgrounds where international travel/exposure are a big part of their lives. So it made sense to me that if a woman could have cultural reasons for not finding it acceptable then a male Dr could also have difficulty with it for cultural reason. But that thought horrified me because I've always believed that being a Dr means a person should be above that way of thinking.

That aside though I thought this was one of the best fly on the wall documentaries about the life of young Drs. We're still laughing in this family.

Csd17 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:30:51

I really liked the doctor who made that comments though. Of course he is very new to his profession, but he already had the manner of medical professionals I have come in to contact with. I liked seeing his genuine passion for the job too.. for fibroids and that clip of him involved in the delivery of a baby. I wish I had been clever enough to be a doctor.

PhatSlag Fri 27-Oct-17 21:33:34

I definitely took that he meant that he didn’t like to touch people’s private parts not that he likes to!

PollyHasAKettle Fri 27-Oct-17 21:34:19

I definitely took that he meant that he didn’t like to touch people’s private parts not that he likes to!

Eh????

PhatSlag Fri 27-Oct-17 21:38:46

When he said ‘I’ve got a thing about touching people’s private parts’ and posters were wondering if it meant does he like doing it or was he apprehensive about it, i thought he meant it as he is apprehensive about it.
Hope I’ve explained, not really sure how it didn’t make sense the first time.

notaflyingmonkey Sat 28-Oct-17 17:50:14

It was fascinating to see how so much of their learning starts now - when they are working with real patients rather than just training. But slightly shocked to see how prominent a role Google plays...

I asked DH (foreign but lived in UK 25 years) and my 16 yr old DS if they knew what spending a penny was a euphimism for. Neither did, which is odd because my DM uses it all the time - God know what they think when she says it!

@oa123 well done on what you have achieved!

Bloodyhellfire Sun 29-Oct-17 02:34:06

I thought it was brilliant! Thought all the docs shown were likeable and genuine. The bit about Google... the same thought went through my mind but then I realised that I've seen docs in the past leafing through big fat books. They can't be experts in everything - especially in their first few years! Think I would have preferred them to use Google 'back in the day'. The doctor who posted above... congrats! I think you're all doing an amazing job. Looking forward to watching more! smile

RebootYourEngine Sun 29-Oct-17 05:27:41

This is either the second or third series.

I like it because it shows the reality of training and working as a doctor. It doesnt seem to gloss over the bad parts.

However i am not sure they should be discussing patients outside of work.

Thinkingofausername1 Sun 29-Oct-17 09:28:16

I like this show. I meet a lot of junior doctors and have a feeling; I know who’s going to do well on this show!!

reallybadidea Sun 29-Oct-17 09:39:17

Lol Osa123 have you been googling yourself or are you a regular mumsnetters?!

TabithaTwitchyNose Sun 29-Oct-17 13:45:46

Lol Osa123 have you been googling yourself or are you a regular mumsnetters?!

Im a name changer who's already posted on the thread

Perhaps a relative or friend is a member and drew his attention to the comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now