Talk

Advanced search

Child in Mind - BBC 4

(13 Posts)
MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 01-Oct-17 22:33:04

Anyone watching it?

Pigwitch Sun 01-Oct-17 22:52:17

I am. Really upsetting. There's always a reason for children to be removed from their parents it's not done lightly. It's frustrating that some of the mums don't really accept responsibility for the situation x

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 01-Oct-17 22:54:57

Yes, there's a story behind each woman and it's often a story of domestic violence.

LewisFan Sun 01-Oct-17 22:56:18

I'm watching it. The project sounds brilliant if it can bring positive change to the destructive cycle of multiple child protection and proceedings.

I am always conflicted about the lack of follow up care with parents after proceedings to remove children... it's the hardest part of the job for me to settle in my mind and move on from

Flomper Sun 01-Oct-17 23:59:51

I watched this and found it very affecting and disturbing. Its a world I know nothing about and my first thoughts were, how terrible to take their children away. But then you saw how damaged they were and realised what they must have done, or not done and that the children must have been severely neglected. And yet 2 of them at least came across very sympatheticly. The first lady with the partner seemed capable of looking after children now. Does the fact that their children were removed permanently indicate severe neglect, I guess.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 02-Oct-17 20:54:43

I doubt it was neglect with the first lady, I imagine she was unable to keep them safe from her violent partner.

grafittiartist Mon 02-Oct-17 21:11:53

I watched this and found it really moving. How sad for everyone.

EB123 Mon 02-Oct-17 22:17:56

I watched this too, it was really sad.

HastingsLikeTheBattle Mon 02-Oct-17 23:22:34

I've downloaded this to watch later, but I'm slightly worried it's going to be too close to home. I'm one of 12 children my birth mother had, and every one of us was removed in our first couple of years.

Those who have watched it, are there any positives in it please?

LewisFan Mon 02-Oct-17 23:25:27

Yes, the tone changes fairly quickly to a positive one as the women featured engage with the Pause workers.

There's a fairly sad bit about letterbox contact towards the second half if that might be a trigger too

The end is positive...

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 02-Oct-17 23:27:06

Yes it was a positive program. The Pause program seems fantastic and of real benefit to the woman protrayed in the programme.
I wish the funds were available to rule this out nationwide.

HastingsLikeTheBattle Mon 02-Oct-17 23:28:36

Thanks flowers

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Sat 07-Oct-17 22:46:22

So incredibly sad and left me with lots of questions.

Lyndsey with the four children and new partner. Firstly I'm assuming it was inability to protect from domestic abuse and she stayed with previous abusive partner at first. However what about now? Were they adopted or fostered. Surprised if sibling group all kept together.

Woman whose dad had a distrust of social services. Not much talk about the impact of being in care had on her. I'd really like to know what help and support was available to help her learn about parenting and what is needed.

The final woman. So two pregnancies since son removed three years previously. I hope this project has helped her. The gifts for eldest child is so typical of contact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now