Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Star Trek Discovery (Netflix)

(21 Posts)
TheSecondOfHerName Fri 29-Sep-17 22:34:37

I've only had time to watch episode 1, but I like it so far.

MrsFionaCharming Sat 30-Sep-17 21:20:49

I really enjoyed it, though not as much as I enjoyed The Orville which makes me feel like a bad Trekkie.

There's a thread discussing it in feminism if you're interested in that perspective.

TheSecondOfHerName Sat 30-Sep-17 21:36:57

I'd like to watch The Orville, but I don't think I can access it easily.

MrsFionaCharming Sat 30-Sep-17 22:07:50

Oh right, no I don't think it's available legally in the U.K. yet.

ToniMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Oct-17 20:11:24

I really liked the new Trek. I am hoping it continues to be as dark as the series goes on.
I haven't come across Orville

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 02-Oct-17 22:51:44

If the first two episodes are viewed together as the pilot, then I thought the set up was great.

MrsFionaCharming Tue 03-Oct-17 00:01:54

I really enjoyed this weeks episode, far more than the first 2. But I never really enjoy the war / battle episodes.

Blahblahboo Tue 03-Oct-17 00:06:47

Ugh! Can't stand it. STD reeks of feminism . Did nobody notice how the only male speaking role was constantly put down by the females and literally pushed out of the way so they could take over?

FrustratedTeddyLamp Tue 03-Oct-17 00:10:20

I didn’t like it I’m not a big Star Trek fan at all but why say it’s a prequel when there’s no need? A prequel with better equipment, and the Klingons why change them? And it’s early days but to me it doesn’t flow. Also no space opening credits??? Wtf??

ShesNoNormanPace Tue 03-Oct-17 11:24:17

Frustrated haven't you seen TNG episode where they go back in time to the Original series Tribble episode and they ask Worf what happened to the Klingons (the original guy looked vvv different) and he says "we don't talk about it hmm" I presume this was somewhere in the Klingon special Fx improvements "metamorphosis"

badabing36 Tue 03-Oct-17 11:33:39

ShesNoNormanPace I asked about klingons and lady captains while watching, my partner replied "shut up" grin

ShesNoNormanPace Tue 03-Oct-17 12:04:52

Many apologies, it was DS9 and Worf says "we don't discuss it with outsiders" : youtu.be/Xka6IYCpj4E

MrsFionaCharming Tue 03-Oct-17 13:14:26

I think the generally accepted theory is that the Klingon empire was separated into different factions by war, so they all evolved differently (similar to the species on the Galapagos), and it’s the war with the Federation that brings them all back together.

But there’s also a theory about a virus and I’m not sure where that comes into it.

MadamMinacious Wed 04-Oct-17 17:10:34

Totally pissed off we are back to a male captain. angry

I think there is more to that ship than what he told Michael.

Ugh! Can't stand it. STD reeks of feminism . Did nobody notice how the only male speaking role was constantly put down by the females and literally pushed out of the way so they could take over?

grin seriously? I mean that never happens the other way around in pretty much most TV series does it? At least you made me laugh. wink

coldcanary Wed 04-Oct-17 17:16:09

Up to the latest episode and I'm liking it so far. The captain might be male but they're making it pretty obvious that the main character is Burnham. Enterprise started on the Klingon virus storyline and that was set 80 years before Discovery so I'm assuming they're carrying it on.
It's making DS9 look all light and fluffy so far, I hope they're going to put some lighter episodes in later on.
Slightly gutted they killed Michelle Yeoh in the first episode actually, I do like her!

MadamMinacious Wed 04-Oct-17 17:51:29

Slightly gutted they killed Michelle Yeoh in the first episode actually, I do like her!

Me too.

I agree it looks like Burnham is the main character which is good. I know it's about the war but one of the good things about Star Trek has always been those random episodes where it explores other issues and situations. I hope it isn't going to just be war, war, war. I think that might get a bit dull.

badabing36 Thu 05-Oct-17 00:36:37

Michelle Yeoh was great in it. I'm loving the moral ambiguity in it. Couldn't stand the goody-goodiness of next generation.

MadamMinacious Thu 05-Oct-17 14:53:05

Hmmm but Next Generation had my lovely Jean-Luc in it.

CockacidalManiac Mon 16-Oct-17 23:01:53

Watched it tonight. Took me ages to realise that the guy that was rescued from the Klingons is Clem Fantango from Toast of London.

SiliconHeaven Wed 18-Oct-17 13:03:57

It's darker isn't it? There were actual swear words in the latest episode shock

CockacidalManiac Wed 18-Oct-17 13:24:54

Frustrated haven't you seen TNG episode where they go back in time to the Original series Tribble episode and they ask Worf what happened to the Klingons (the original guy looked vvv different) and he says "we don't talk about it hmm" I presume this was somewhere in the Klingon special Fx improvements "metamorphosis"

That was a very funny and well worked episode, but was from DS9 IIRC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now