Talk

Advanced search

The Good Doctor

(36 Posts)
FrustratedTeddyLamp Tue 26-Sep-17 20:46:17

It’s new, airing in the US, coming to Sky Living in the UK. It features Freddie Highmore who played Normen Bates in Bates Motel, which is what got my attention.

Anyway, it’s about an autistic surgeon, working in a hospital, I watched the first episode and I would definitely recommend it, it’s very good and powerful

FrustratedTeddyLamp Mon 16-Oct-17 23:08:14

Premiere is Friday the 27th on Sky1 here

FrustratedTeddyLamp Fri 27-Oct-17 17:24:59

It’s on tonight

FrustratedTeddyLamp Fri 27-Oct-17 17:48:19

Sky1

MipMipMip Fri 27-Oct-17 21:24:44

What I've seem so far is very tick box "this is autism". You could pretty much play bingo with it.

To be honest I expected to see more on here about it.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sat 28-Oct-17 17:01:02

It’s only the first episode so far, in America it’s the highest viewed drama, I really love it

MipMipMip Sat 28-Oct-17 22:34:05

I think it has potential. I try not to judge too much by the first episode as they have to do set up and important information. But I did feel queasy after his "why I want to be a doctor speech"!

I'll keep trying it and see how it goes.

SatansLittleHelper2 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:40:59

Is it only episode 1 ?? Im on episode 5 on showbox........it's fab. But very cliche.

CatAfterCat Mon 30-Oct-17 15:10:42

Sheldon Cooper plays House with Grey's Anatomy.

bagelbaby Mon 30-Oct-17 19:37:17

I'm watching episode 1 now. Am disappointed that they are all too glam. They should take a leaf out of Nurse Jackie's successful book
Also the surgeons are going in and out of theatre .... no sterile barrier there!

FrustratedTeddyLamp Fri 03-Nov-17 14:29:14

Episode 2 tonight.

To be honest with a USP of the surgeon having autism I think it’s expected to be “ in your face” that he has it and I think it’s important to create a better understanding especially in the start the different autistic traits so the audience better understands.

Just like Supergirl started a little nauseatingly “feministy” which isn’t a bad thing per se but it was shoved down your throat at every opportunity at the start, I think it will be the same that it’s still an important aspect of the show and a central theme but it will mellow.)

maddiemookins16mum Fri 03-Nov-17 18:37:05

Watching it because DP wants to and we loved him in Bates Motel.
My only issue is he looks too young.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Fri 03-Nov-17 23:35:59

Bates Motel was awesome also

minesapintofwine Thu 09-Nov-17 19:10:17

I'm glad I found this thread. I really like this programme-like a breath of fresh air. Also I really fancy the lead character even though he looks a decade younger than me blush

MipMipMip Sat 11-Nov-17 12:09:37

Remember Peter from Finding Neverland? That's who you fancy Pint!grin

minesapintofwine Sat 11-Nov-17 14:37:56

I've never seen Finding Neverland! I do have slightly odd taste though grin

MipMipMip Sat 11-Nov-17 15:20:29

Died you see charlie and the chocolate factory? Staring role in that too.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sat 11-Nov-17 20:08:40

He’s charlie in the chocolate factory? Didn’t know that. I haven’t seen episode 3 yet, I can’t wait I saw 2 online then waited for it to be on UK tele.

Do people think this will be a series that gets more popular over time?

minesapintofwine Sat 11-Nov-17 22:52:53

frustrated I think it will get slightly more popular. It definitely has massive potential to become a long running programme, and not axed quickly like so many others these days. It's the fact that there is a different story every episode that enables this I think.

minesapintofwine Sat 11-Nov-17 22:53:43

I haven't seen CATCF either hmmblush

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Sun 12-Nov-17 00:49:50

There are some infuriating parts to watch as it at times portrays the lead character in a way people stereotyped autistic people 20/30 years ago however the flashbacks add a lovely dimension the time period of the flashbacks reminds me of ‘the big 3’. Loved the end scene with the pancakes

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Sun 12-Nov-17 00:50:31

Another Fan of Bates motel here too

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sun 12-Nov-17 01:17:41

I have to say I may have switched off earlier in the episode but I didn’t get the pancake switching

madwoman1ntheatt1c Sun 12-Nov-17 01:33:10

I can't work out what episode you are on. Last week we had the mass casualty incident here.
I really like it. There are obviously cliches, but I think it's an interesting portrayal. Some very positive slants, and I like that there is a balance between getting it right, and not. And as the series goes on, the other characters get more depth too. I think the reactions to his character are well done, allowing viewers to see what disabling looks like, and explore different reactions, and explode some misconceptions.

I think the next episode has a patient with autism (a boy who is not as high functioning) whose parents refuse to let a doctor with autism treat their son.

I like it. I think I read somewhere that it's an adaptation to a Korean series. I'd love to know how it developed.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sun 12-Nov-17 03:48:32

The one that just aired was episode 3 Shaun goes to get a liver for a patient from another hospital but they can’t fly back in the helicopter, and the liver patient has had a drink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now