loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why is Debbie McGee on Strictly?

(65 Posts)
StepAwayFromCake Sat 23-Sep-17 21:22:18

She was a professional ballet dancer!

Fluffysparks Sat 23-Sep-17 21:23:00

Been sitting here thinking exactly the same...

Androidsdreamofelectricsheep Sat 23-Sep-17 21:25:11

Yes, but there's dancing and dancing. Being good at ballet might give her a head's start but she still has to learn the steps. I've often wondered why Darcey Bussell is a judge, actually.

Notears Sun 24-Sep-17 07:24:36

A lot of the celebrities have had some kind of dance training Eg actors who have been to theatre school. Remember Jill Halfpenny who won? I read that more than half of this year's contestants have some kind of dance background.

StepAwayFromCake Sun 24-Sep-17 07:39:05

Actors who have been to theatre school, singers who have danced in their music vids, people who have some experience of dance - fair enough.

But she's an ex-professional , with all the training and experience. She may know ballet rather than ballroom, but there's a huge amount of crossover. And by the way that 59yo moved, she's maintained her training.

Half the fun of watching Strictly is in the slebs' journeys as they discover dance.

TheweewitchRoz Sun 24-Sep-17 12:01:11

I didn't realise she was a professional ballet dancer but I guess that explains why she was so good! I don't mind though as they're different genres & it's fantastic to see an older female doing well (& not being a joke act!).

SleepFreeZone Sun 24-Sep-17 12:02:35

I don't watch it but surely if she's maintained her flexibility that's wonderful and should be applauded?

13bastards Sun 24-Sep-17 12:03:18

A friend who did panto with her several times says she is well trained in ballroom as well as ballet.

cowgirlsareforever Sun 24-Sep-17 12:04:19

It's hard to avoid contestants with dance training as so many people in the entertainment industry have a dance background. I like Debbie though and I would love her to win.

Hulder Sun 24-Sep-17 12:07:26

I don't care, I love her.

Plus why can't there be an older ringer for once. Why is Aston on Strictly? Are we honestly supposed to believe he's never had a day's dance training in his life.

And of course Jay managed to maintain his popstar who never danced cover throughout, despite obvious evidence to the contrary.

The women ringers get more stick than the male one's as well.

TheweewitchRoz Sun 24-Sep-17 12:15:43

Completely agree Hulder.

Trying2bgd Sun 24-Sep-17 12:21:47

loved her, strictly is about fun, glitter and love. I love the way the celebs and pro dancers support each other. There can never be an even playing field as so many factors come into play - acting ability, fitness, flexibility, physical memory, musicality, looks, natural ability, work ethic and confidence. All I do is sit back and enjoy. Strictly can throw up surprises. Its great to see an older lady move it!

cowgirlsareforever Sun 24-Sep-17 12:22:00

I agree Hulder. So many male celebs have had dance training but there's no big fuss. Same with Susan Calman who's had stick about dancing with a man, whereas lots of gay men have never been criticized for dancing with a woman.

stitchglitched Sun 24-Sep-17 12:26:37

I'm glad she's on there. I don't want to watch 15 people who can't dance. I enjoy watching the celebrities with dance talent as well as the novices. If they were all rubbish it wouldn't be a very good programme. I also think it's great to see her coming into the spotlight and enjoying a new challenge for herself after losing her husband. She seems really lovely and I can't wait to see how she does each week.

StepAwayFromCake Sun 24-Sep-17 13:21:04

I'm not 'giving her stick' because she's a woman. hmm I have no idea who most of the slebs are - I only recognised two in this year's line-up (Debbie McG and the female comedian) and I happened to know that DM was a professional dancer. I'd say the same about any sleb competitor. That Jay was a joy to watch at times, but, no, he shouldn't have been a competitor IMO.

Personally, I don't think the good dancers are particularly interesting to watch. It's the pigeon-toed, spade-handed ugly ducklings who I tune in for.

cowgirlsareforever Sun 24-Sep-17 15:13:29

I love the really good ones as well as the rubbish ones.

Notears Sun 24-Sep-17 15:16:25

I did think she was a lot older than she is until I googled so was stunned when she did the splits. She was amazing anyway.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 24-Sep-17 15:18:31

She's Royal Ballet School trained & danced for several years in the corps & as a soloist in Iran.

SparkyBlue Sun 24-Sep-17 15:23:43

Agree totally with @Hulder it makes a nice change to see a more mature woman step up to be an actual contender. I am sick of the likes of Mollie King and the guy from JLS (can't think of his name) who are trying to say they have no dance experience when they are used to doing choreographed routines for shows and pop videos etc. Denise Van Outen was in it a few years ago and she had just been performing one of the lead roles in Chicago which I thought was ridiculous. Debbie looks fabulous as well. Well done to her.

HateSummer Sun 24-Sep-17 15:26:53

Wasn't she on celebrity master chef a few weeks ago?! She gets around doesn't she.

cowgirlsareforever Sun 24-Sep-17 15:31:02

I think she is keeping herself busy to help deal with her grief HateSummer.

Tealdeal747 Sun 24-Sep-17 15:33:44

Heaven forbid an older woman may be a real contender for the glitter ball

Ageism is as ugly as racism

Thingsiseeinmybathroom Sun 24-Sep-17 15:37:40

Because she didn't win Masterchef?

stitchglitched Sun 24-Sep-17 15:38:17

She's got the most youtube views so far, by quite a margin. Go Debbie!

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 24-Sep-17 15:41:56

The women ringers get more stick than the male one's as well.

Oooh, but look at last year's competition: you could argue that Danny Mac's perceived ringer status cost him the trophy when compared to Ore's so bloody emotional "journey". Caroline Flack, on the other hand, sailed through the final with her hat-trick of perfect scores and won the thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now