Talk

Advanced search

Ozark on Netflix

(22 Posts)
NurseButtercup Sat 22-Jul-17 09:23:41

I'm a loyal Jason Bateman fan and I think Laura Linney is brilliant. So when I heard about this new Netflix series with both of them in, I was already in.

I've watched the episode 1+2 and read these two reviews:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/0/ozark-review-cliches-aside-deeply-gripping-drama/

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/22/ozark-review-jason-bateman-laura-linney-netflix

It's brilliant.

Anybody want to join me for discussions?

My thoughts on episode1
If I was SAHM and so bored I was having affairs, my DH was boring but a good provider and came home one day with the drugs cartel/money laundering bombshell, I would shut my mouth and help my DH figure it out and make it work so we could stay alive.

On the basis that this would be my response, I clearly watch waaaaaay too much TV grin

itstheyearzero Sat 22-Jul-17 14:43:56

I started it last night so I have only seen episode 1. I think its going to be fantastic, so much happened in the first episode! I did wonder if his wife already knew about the laundering because she didn't seem too surprised, but then I had imbibed a few glasses of wine at that point so I may have misinterpreted it. Might watch that bit again....

SandyDenny Sat 22-Jul-17 14:50:19

I had a you might like email from Netflix about this yesterday, I know nothing about it and usually watch crime type series - what sort of programme is it

userofthiswebsite Sat 22-Jul-17 14:54:37

I watch the first half an hour of it and didn't get.

cushioncovers Sun 23-Jul-17 08:56:58

Watching it now. Looks good. I love JB. I think his wife already knew about Marty's money laundering. Was that his wife in the video having sex with another man?

SandyDenny Sun 23-Jul-17 12:17:03

I've watched the first one but unless it gets lighter I won't be watching any more. Who wants to watch something in permanent darkness?

Yes, it was the wife in the home video, I really like Laura Linney so hoping it brightens up

NurseButtercup Sun 23-Jul-17 14:03:27

I've watched up to episode 6.
I'm well and truly IN!!
Yes it's his wife having an affair in the video clip he's watching
The man his wife is having an affair with gets thrown over the balcony by the Mexicans
His wife doesn't know he was money laundering for the Mexican's.
It is very very dark, but some comedic relief comes from the redneck family aka local thieves, I think they're called the Langstones.

theluckiest Mon 24-Jul-17 00:07:53

Just watched the first 2 episodes & hooked already! I missed Breaking Bad but DH reckons it's similar in some ways.

Really like it so far. But who sent him the email with the sex video in the first place? I think this will be a very tangled web...

Ladybird909 Mon 24-Jul-17 00:21:15

We've just started watching it as well! Only watched the first two episodes but am really enjoying it already. Wanted to watch something gritty and meaty and it's been interesting right from the start.

The Jason Bateman character reminds me of Walter White, sort of an ordinary family man who's super intelligent underneath.

Although because the character is called Marty and Jason Bateman looks a bit like Michael J Fox in this, I keep thinking about Back to the Future!

cushioncovers Thu 03-Aug-17 19:37:27

Just finished watching it all. Brilliant series. Found the priest and the baby scene awful to watch 😞

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 04-Aug-17 21:05:48

Haha ladybird I keep thinking that too. It's quite distracting

craftsy Fri 04-Aug-17 21:19:33

His wife doesn't know he was money laundering for the Mexican's.

His wife knew all about the money laundering all along. He just lied to 'Del in the hopes he wouldn't kill her. The fact that he lied and she knew is discussed at length in the first episode.

But who sent him the email with the sex video in the first place? I think this will be a very tangled web...

Marty suspected she was having an affair and hired Bob, the private detective to follow her to find out for sure. This was also all explained in the first episode, so I'm not spoiling later plot points for anyone.

I'm three episodes in and I'll give it one more but so far I find it charmless and the hurdle upon hurdle that's being thrown in their way is getting boring. I need to see some things that make me care about these characters because right now I'd happily see everyone but Tuk be strung up killed by 'Del's goons.

cushioncovers Fri 04-Aug-17 21:34:42

Craft the hurdles keep coming

GavelRavel Sat 05-Aug-17 12:22:54

did Marty know his company was laundering money for the Mexican drug cartel? or was it all his partner?

Fluffypinkpyjamas Sat 05-Aug-17 12:24:58

We have nearly finished it, excellent show! I'm also a big JB fan.

cushioncovers Sat 05-Aug-17 14:25:07

Yes I think Marty knew that his company was laundering money.

KanyesLunchbox Sat 05-Aug-17 14:38:58

I watched it all in the last few days (we are on holidays so binging). I liked it but the sheer number of hurdles and convolutions by the end annoyed me. I don't remember the Sopranos needing this level of complexity to be a classic.

And yes, the scene with the priest and the baby was harrowing sad

applecharlotte Sat 05-Aug-17 14:45:22

Loved the whole series - same feel as breaking bad. Bateman and Linney are incredible actors in it. Bring on series 2!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 05-Aug-17 15:57:03

I'm on episode one,love it already!

gruuumbleweec Sat 05-Aug-17 16:24:02

I have this on "My List" so will watch and report back.

Any other recommendations. Currently just finished series one of House of Cards and seen a couple of Medici

Pansythepotter Thu 17-Aug-17 08:58:00

I have just finished this and thought it was brilliant. So many twists, so many bad guys. I thought the final episode was absolutely gripping.

I understand series 2 is on its way. Any other recommendations for Netflix series would be great.

My recommendation is Call My Agent. I have seen episode 1 and keen to see how it progresses.

mizu Thu 17-Aug-17 20:30:19

On my list, encouraged to watch it even more now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now