Talk

Advanced search

Wife Swap Brexit Special

(26 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 15-Jun-17 21:36:06

Anyone else watching? I'm gobsmacked by the leave voter who had no idea that the German businesswoman could be told to go home. hmm

Tw1nsetAndPearls Thu 15-Jun-17 21:36:37

We are about to start watching

squirreltrap Thu 15-Jun-17 21:37:52

It's hard for the leave campaign to sound rational when you've people like this spouting utter bollocks

InigoTaran Thu 15-Jun-17 21:38:27

I'm finding the Leavers' views pretty depressing. And pig ignorant tbh.

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 15-Jun-17 21:40:15

I think the Leave wife might be converted. Her husband is a racist pig though.

darksideofthemooncup Thu 15-Jun-17 21:43:53

I was really hoping that the leavers would have some form of intelligent argument instead the wishy washy 'identity' trope. But no, they have just come across as thick racists apart from the wife

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 15-Jun-17 21:46:08

Who the fuck has a framed picture of Nigel Farage?
Leave husband is such a pig angry

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 15-Jun-17 21:48:37

And I don't get what a VE Day has got the do with leaving the EU?

annandale Thu 15-Jun-17 21:50:08

Reading the thread so I don't have to watch grin

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 15-Jun-17 21:56:32

I like the remain daughter. She's very wise beyond her years.

LemonSalad Thu 15-Jun-17 21:57:10

Thick as pig shit that leaver family!

shock at the Nigel Farage gnome, definitely the stuff of nightmares.

ladyyyglittersparkles Thu 15-Jun-17 22:10:40

I haven't watched yet but I'm sure the TV producers deliberately picked ignorant thick as fuck Leave voters for entertainment purposes.
I along with many I know voted to leave the EU. I am neither thick or racist.

Raspberriesaretheonlyfruit Thu 15-Jun-17 22:20:29

Wow how rude are you lot? I only saw the end but thought leaver woman had a genuine reason for feeling anti EU. Having been homeless myself it must be very frustrating to see people who have come to the uk for economic reasons getting housed first.

I was gobsmacked by the daughter that thought being British ( having family, friends and history ) shouldn't carry any weight over people here from economic reasons.

hahahaIdontgetit Thu 15-Jun-17 22:21:13

Really, how odd.

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 15-Jun-17 22:41:39

I've also been homeless, (5 months in a B&B hostel when I was 15 years old) and watched other people get housed more quickly than us. Doesn't make me want to vote leave though. The Leave husband was ignorant and racist in my view. The remain daughter (imho) wasn't saying she didn't think having links to GB carried no weight, she was saying she wasn't comfortable with being treated better than someone else simply because she's British.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Thu 15-Jun-17 22:50:41

If I was a brexiter I would have been annoyed to have the family represent me. As a working class woman I was annoyed that the family were presented as representing me.

I have been homeless, the process made me feel humility and compassion rather than wanting to cut myself off from the rest of Europe whilst trashing our economy.

olliegarchy99 Fri 16-Jun-17 06:41:21

If I remember there are always threads about the 'benefit' programs and how they mis-represent
it is a tad hypocritical that you all swallow the same rubbish 'documentaries' portraying 17.4 million people as thick and racist compared to the 'nice' remainers.
I did not watch the program but going by the unreasonable people on here I am glad I didn't angry

MyGastIsFlabbered Fri 16-Jun-17 09:53:04

I never said all Brexiteers were thick racists, but the guy on this program does appear to be one. But it wouldn't have made such a good program if, for example, there was a family who said 'we voted leave because of the £350m to the NHS pledge and now feel foolish' or who could come up with a list of valid reasons for voting Leave. The husband on this repeatedly said to the remain wife 'you've got all the facts, I haven't'

Mothervulva Fri 16-Jun-17 10:32:07

It was a shame it was so cliched

ImperialBlether Fri 16-Jun-17 10:40:25

It wasn't cliched, though. They took a family from an area where a huge number voted to leave. They also took a family who would be directly affected by Brexit.

And of course from the German woman's POV, this kind of thing, where ethnic groups are treated differently, is part of her family history. That's why she was going to go back to Germany, because she didn't want to live in that sort of society.

user1487941567 Fri 16-Jun-17 11:52:29

Those leave voters properly and accurately represented everyone I know who voted leave. They didn't fully understand it, didn't look up any facts on the subject, voted entirely on misinformation and prejudices and shouted over you (like the gentleman in the social club) when you made valid points.

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Fri 16-Jun-17 13:11:20

The programme depressed me far more than I expected to to. I was looking forward to watching - I thought there would be intelligent debate from both sides. Instead they chose xenophobic leavers who got all of their 'facts' from The Daily Express without questioning any of it. I was gobsmacked when the husband appeared proud to not be political and admitted to not understanding any of it. If you are voting for something shouldn't you at least know a little about what you are voting for? I know that the EU is a complex and the in/out question wasn't fit for purpose but I like to think that people actually considered both sides of the argument before putting a cross in a box. It's actually really bothered me that so many people think like that. I know that not all leavers are racist bigots, if I was a leaver I would be appalled at the choice of family.
The whole 'oh you're ok, I didn't mean you' argument and disbelief that the German friend was scared of being deported also bothered me. They genuinely had no idea! Also confused about how they think leaving the EU will clear their streets of people with brown skin hmm or what VE Day had to do with any of it.
I felt quite hopeful last week after the election. I don't any more sad

Mothervulva Fri 16-Jun-17 13:30:55

Id have been interested in hearing from a brexit family who was less obviously 'Leave', rather than an Express reading, England flag hanging lot. Tbf, I turned it off pretty quickly.

DeleteOrDecay Fri 16-Jun-17 21:41:25

Just watching this now. I'm speechless at the leave familyshock scary to think people like that actually exist.

OutOfBlueComesGreen Wed 21-Jun-17 10:10:32

I watched this. I live near the leavers. It is very Leave around here. They are all like the leave family on here. It was a fair representation of the Leave voters I have come across.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now