Talk

Advanced search

Cardinal BBC4 - Canadian/Scandi-esque detective Saturdays

(20 Posts)
futuristic1 Sun 04-Jun-17 13:02:07

Really enjoyed this. Very dark, but wry. Quick and clever too.

Rshard Sun 04-Jun-17 14:27:53

I enjoyed it too, but need to re-watch the second episode as I fell asleep!

futuristic1 Mon 05-Jun-17 07:10:20

Ha ha - that used to happen to me in The Killing, about 9.35ish or 10 past 10.
I like to imagine it always coincided with Sarah Lund entering a dark room holding a torch above her head.

The lead female detective in Cardinal reminds me of Sarah Lund too. Episode 2 is a good one - lots of stuff happens!

chickensaresafehere Mon 05-Jun-17 17:08:36

Just found this!!
I really enjoyed it.I just love Billy Campbell's (Cardinal)voice.

Optimist1 Thu 08-Jun-17 08:03:30

Glad to have found this thread. Can anyone explain what the RCMP are suspecting Cardinal of doing? What with his sick wife and all the crimes in the area I'm doubtful he has any time for dodgy dealings!

Spookle Thu 08-Jun-17 20:39:21

I've just watched the first episode of this and thought it was really good. I like the quiet brooding style of it. I feel a bit cross that Lise is a plant so I'm obviously thinking of Cardinal as a good guy already.

@Optimist1 - They think he has been feeding police information to Kyle Corbett- the guy that controls the bulk of the drug trade north of Toronto. credit goes to the subtitles grin

EllaHen Thu 08-Jun-17 20:42:43

Dh and I have watched the first two episodes. Loving it. What night is it on - we watched on iPlayer?

Optimist1 Fri 09-Jun-17 06:09:03

Thanks, Spookle - those soft Canadian accents were just a bit too soft for me to get the gist of what they were saying!

Ella - Saturday nights. They seem to be showing two episodes per week.

EllaHen Fri 09-Jun-17 16:10:34

Ah, the old Scandi noir formula. Thanks Optimist.

Panicmode1 Fri 09-Jun-17 17:00:20

I loved it - I thought it was so clever - I like the fact that we know she's a plant already but can anyone remind me what Lise has been in recently - she's annoyingly familiar?!

Andylion Fri 09-Jun-17 18:43:14

It's based on books by Giles Blunt, which I also enjoyed.

EllaHen Sun 11-Jun-17 21:57:47

Well, I'm fucking traumatised by episode 4. Just finished watching it. Doubt I'll sleep.

pdjimjams Tue 13-Jun-17 22:50:19

She was in Revenge...

Panicmode1 Wed 14-Jun-17 06:14:07

Thank you. I haven't watched it for years (think I quit after S1) so I thought it was something more recent. Perhaps not!

implantsandaDyson Wed 14-Jun-17 11:56:00

I've seen all 6 episodes - it's very good. The story actually finishes with the 6th episode shock, which is a novelty on tv these days grin.

Andylion Wed 14-Jun-17 15:16:18

I imagine, as it's a Canadian production, (and they never have the money that US programmes have), they were unsure if there would be a second season. Apparently it's been renewed for two more seasons.

reallyreallyreallyreally Wed 14-Jun-17 23:05:26

I loved it all except the extreme violence. Why does it have to be so graphic? shockconfusedsad

Detectives and their story lines are great, their chemistry, all mostly well acted.

Why does anyone else find this too much? Or am I just a wuss!?

Not sure whether I should just skip to the end so I can miss out all the bloody bits?? I've watched up to Ave including ep 4...

reallyreallyreallyreally Wed 14-Jun-17 23:06:13

Ella... me too!

EllaHen Sat 17-Jun-17 23:18:13

Episode 5 not too brutal. Watching episode 6 tomorrow.

I did say to dh that it should really be called Delorme. I bloody love her. She makes the programme, she really does.

2rebecca Sat 17-Jun-17 23:31:20

That was good, yay to proper endings. Agree re the OTT violence though, and I never understood how Evie got involved in it all. Eric was just too mad as well. Many psychopaths can seem normal which makes them extra sinister. He was a pantomime baddy.
It get points for tying most of it up though and having a plot I could follow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: