Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Catching A Killer. Ch4. Natalie Hemming R.I.P.

(25 Posts)
noenemee Thu 01-Jun-17 23:28:32

Has anyone seen this real crime documentary tonight on Channel 4?
www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/fqfgw9/catching-a-killer--the-search-for-natalie-hemming/

It wasn't sensationalized, just followed the investigation into the disappearance of Natalie last year, and the subsequent change to a murder investigation.

Natalie was a mother of three young children and lived with her partner, Paul, whose name she'd taken. There had been formal reports of abuse going back many years and her family didn't approve of the relationship. Natalie had finally decided to end the partnership and had also fallen for someone else.

Paul denied any knowledge of her disappearance but after Natalie's body was found, without his help, he ultimately pleaded guilty to manslaughter. He was convicted of her murder and sentenced to life, to serve a minimum of 20 years. Their children are being cared for by their maternal Aunts. I was genuinely moved to tears for Natalie and all her family.

Hopefully the programme might resonate with some people in abusive relationships or their families who are concerned about them.

www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/catching-killer-paul-natalie-hemming-10539798

drinkswineoutofamug Thu 01-Jun-17 23:38:35

I'm just watching it on plus 1. My heart has broken for her and her family.
R.i.p Natalie

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 01-Jun-17 23:40:10

I watched it. It was very moving. Poor, poor woman living with that nasty shit. He left her three children without a mother and still didn't have the balls to admit to it or let her poor family know what had really happened to her.

Her family were such lovely and dignified people.

The police were amazing, what a horribly hard job they have.

RIP Natalie Hemming.

noenemee Fri 02-Jun-17 00:07:14

I felt a little bit odd posting the thread to be honest. What I wrote sounds a bit stilted and I didn't mean it to be. I really didn't want to post anything that kind of demeaned Natalie or her family though iykwim, but didn't want to not post something. I suppose having read so many threads here about people who're vulnerable and being abused, this programme put a real face to the victim and all the people who loved and cared about her. It did show the feelings of all the officers involved too.

It was so terribly sad sad but sensitively handled I thought.

GrimDamnFanjo Fri 02-Jun-17 01:33:42

It was very well done. Showed how professional the police were dealing with such a sad crime. The family were so dignified and brave allowing the cameras in.

Hueandcry Fri 02-Jun-17 01:44:47

I watched it & thought this could so easily have been me. Chilling

yesbutnobut Fri 02-Jun-17 12:04:41

I was gripped and thought it was excellent. The police and the family came across so well.

kennypppppppp Fri 02-Jun-17 12:20:05

Such a sad programme. The "husband" was, and is, an utter twat and I hope he gets what's owing to him.

Poor Natalie. I loved the fact they got the what's app messages. Raped my arse. That man is an utter PIG.

Made me think though - the programme on recently - where the dad had murdered the mum and the kids went to visit their dads in prison. God knows what a horrible situation that is to be in. The sisters were lovely. And the evidence was fascinating. Taking the rug to work to clean it.

Rest in peace, Natalie.

MsGameandWatch Fri 02-Jun-17 12:23:12

I couldn't understand why her mother told him she was out on a date. That bit really bothered me.

dontcallmelen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:44:34

It was a difficult watch, agree the police did an excellent job & I thought were very empathetic towards the family, awful awful man so cruel & heartless.

noenemee Fri 02-Jun-17 13:07:57

Hueandcry flowers Hope life is better for you now.

It was very tough to hear how her family and friends recognized what was going on, but Natalie took so long to see it for herself despite the physical abuse. Not at all uncommon though.

MsGameandWatch I wasn't too clear on the timeline, or how it happened that he turned up at her mother's house and saw her car left there. Possibly at some stage he'd been checking her phone? Either way, her poor mother was blaming herself.

Their poor little boy, seeing what he saw sad

I've known two families where the father killed the mother, in both the children were older, although in one case not yet grown up. I don't think they ever spoke to their father again, but the other family, the grown children did have some kind of contact, but I'm not sure to what extent or of the circumstances around the whole case.

MsGameandWatch Fri 02-Jun-17 13:51:55

I couldn't understand why her mother told him she was out on a date. That bit really bothered me.

Figgygal Fri 02-Jun-17 13:53:22

I'm watching it now

Utterly tragic for her and her family but conpelling insight into the work of the police in such circumstances

thingscanonlygetbetterrrr Fri 02-Jun-17 14:05:40

I was glued to it and found it all very sensitively produced without sensationalism. My only criticism was using the children's names during it. It made them widely identifiable and I also don't think the video of the son who witnessed the incident afterwards should have been shown. A police officer could have talked to camera about what was said. These children are growing up without their mother and with a father in prison, they need privacy and anonymity as much as is possible.

Figgygal Fri 02-Jun-17 14:35:42

Wasn't he awful in those interviews

Smug, manipulative and detached when he knew fine he'd done it
Shocking

Hueandcry Fri 02-Jun-17 14:44:27

Thanks noenemee that's very kind. I'm ok. I survived but I still have a court case to face. The police were and are amazing. I think a lot of people, including me, are put off reporting this as there may be no hard evidence and they feel they wont be believed. This is not the case.
I've been deeply affected by watching this last night. Very teary today. My thoughts go out to everyone involved

MaybeNextWeek Fri 02-Jun-17 16:09:07

It was awful to watch, he was so cool and together in the interviews he really did think he'd got away with it. The poor DS witnessing it.
Where was Natalie's mother, was that her gran who the police dealt with? I missed the start.

Feenie Fri 02-Jun-17 19:16:27

No, that was her poor mum.

JDelanysCleanHorse Fri 02-Jun-17 19:28:32

I watched this too and thought it was done brilliantly.

I think Natalie's mom had phoned the husband ,as one of the children wouldn't settle and that's when he asked why her car was there. Her mom said she couldn't lie to him and he put two and two together to figure she was on a date with the new man.

When they read out those messages about her date really got to me-she sounded so in love and happy. Such a shame. Her poor children and family.

noenemee Fri 02-Jun-17 20:07:34

He was ice cold. It gave me a small insight into how calculating and manipulative a man like him could be.

I do understand the criticism of showing the very young DS though sad

It really was chilling that Natalie seemed about to rebuild a happy life.

@Hueandcry I will drop you a short PM if you don't mind. No need to reply if you don't want to.

ineedwine99 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:10:48

I was so upset for her family, her poor poor children. Made me cry seeing her mum breakdown. Sick bastard, hope he rots in hell

Alfieisnoisy Mon 05-Jun-17 15:10:46

Absolutely chilling, her file showed he had assaulted her in 2007 when they'd only been together a year. During that assault he put his hands round her throat and squeezed. She later retracted her complaint to the police...he had such a hold over her.

Men who assault women in this way and especially those who attempt strangulation are much more likely to kill their partners. I wonder if that was known back in 2007 and if Natalie was aware of the greater risk he posed.

He's shown no remorse and like many if these men he probably still thinks she brought it all upon herself. Evil man, hope he rots.

KhaleesiMotherofCats Mon 05-Jun-17 15:31:33

I've watched it....it makes me sad to think that some of the women that post on the relationships board could be victims.

That they go quiet and no-one knows that it's because they're one of the women killed by their partners/ex partners every year sad

I hope programmes like this give them the nudge they need to get away and to protect themselves however they can during that time.

I'm not often emotionally impacted by things but the level of calm he displayed was pretty shocking.

RIP Natalie

cushioncovers Thu 08-Jun-17 19:14:18

Just watching it now. sad

MorrisZapp Mon 03-Jul-17 12:44:11

Watched this last night. I sobbed.

Those three children, it's just unthinkable. The cctv of her smiling and kissing her new boyfriend as she walks towards her violent death. That evil bastard smiling and trying to manipulate til the very end.

I didn't quite understand the bit about her mum telling about the date and then sending natalie home to her abuser. The mum was just broken though.

Who knows if social services were previously involved but given the escalating violence in the home, the children should have been taken to safety. I don't see how they can recover from this. It's just so tragic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now