Talk

Advanced search

The Handmaid's Tale

(47 Posts)
CoolCarrie Sun 28-May-17 13:30:35

Is on tonight, Sunday 9.00 - 10.15 Channel 4 ! Part 1 of 10 parts

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 28-May-17 14:05:42

Oh god, as in Margaret Atwood? Read the book for A-Level and had nightmares about it sad its such an important book, but I haven't ever been able to bring myself to read it again.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 28-May-17 14:09:18

Very very much looking forward to this. Love the book and also love Elisabeth Moss.

VimFuego101 Sun 28-May-17 14:12:38

I'm in the US so am up to episode 7. I'm very picky about book to film/ TV adaptations but this is SO GOOD. It goes into back stories/ details that the book didn't cover, and they're so well done.

Lottapianos Sun 28-May-17 14:12:45

It sounds really impressive but I'm honestly wondering whether I can face it. It sounds deeply disturbing and possibly too close to the bone with Trump in the White House. I will probably record and watch when I'm feeling less fragile

MusicToMyEars800 Sun 28-May-17 16:53:12

I think I will give it a watch, I haven't read the book, but was looking at it in Waterstones the other day, and am considering buying it.

FreezerBird Sun 28-May-17 17:21:04

I will watch it but I've mixed feelings: if the adaptation is poor I'll be really annoyed - if it's good it might just be too hard to watch.

All the previews I've read/seen are very good - so I'm bracing myself...

JustDanceAddict Sun 28-May-17 18:12:06

Can't wait!

Whiskwarrior Sun 28-May-17 18:14:41

I've seen the first episode and have five others ready to go. Love the book, even though it's a hard read.

I actually think people should watch this despite it being a difficult watch. It's important at the moment, especially with Trump's America.

Bear in mind, as you watch it, that everything is based on fact. Atwood pulled together events from societies around the world and put them all together to make one fucked-up world. It could happen.

SaltaKatten Sun 28-May-17 19:10:42

The adaption is amazing! It's a disturbing watch, especially a few episodes in but you can't stop watching. The acting is superb.

Whiskwarrior Sun 28-May-17 19:12:00

Agreed on the acting. Excellent casting all round.

I like that all the Handmaidsame are 'normal' looking women. They could be anyone.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 28-May-17 19:13:38

I'm looking forward to it. I've not read the book but it's definitely up my street.

talkingtoclarry Sun 28-May-17 19:29:24

Cannot wait for this. It's one of my all time fave books.

BandeauSally Sun 28-May-17 19:32:55

I'm looking forward to watching this (if that is the right phrase). I haven't read the book so nothing to compare too.

MusicToMyEars800 Sun 28-May-17 21:30:58

I'm watching, it's compelling and the acting is fantastic, it's hard to watch at parts.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 28-May-17 21:36:15

It is a great adaptation so far. I read the book at school and was surprised that DH wanted to watch it, having never read the book, but he knew the basic premise so surprised me. It's hard to watch though.

MusicToMyEars800 Sun 28-May-17 21:41:20

That scene with the husband shagging offred with the wife holding her wrists on the bed was really uncomfortable to watch, I think I will buy the book to read.

Libitina Sun 28-May-17 21:43:55

That scene with the husband shagging offred with the wife holding her wrists on the bed was really uncomfortable to watch, I think I will buy the book to read.

He was raping her, not shagging her.

MusicToMyEars800 Sun 28-May-17 21:51:54

Yes, I know! I Just hate that word. It was a horrible scene.

BandeauSally Sun 28-May-17 21:53:34

was really uncomfortable to watch

Well it was a rape so, yeah.

Whiskwarrior Sun 28-May-17 21:56:50

That's the point. It's hard to read too. Especially when Offred tells us it's not rape as she's agreed to it. What choice did she have?

We discussed this at college. State-sanctioned rape. We all agreed it was definitely rape. Horrible.

BandeauSally Sun 28-May-17 22:02:31

I haven't read the book but from what I've seen so far it didn't look like she had any choice but to agree or face possible death as a consequence. So really not agreement.

mistermagpie Sun 28-May-17 22:10:46

I loved the book at school and read it several times, it was disturbing and shocking but I was absolutely fascinated by it and how 'possible' it seemed. Really looking forward to the adaptation.

Libitina Sun 28-May-17 22:13:30

Love the theme tune, very ironic.

Whiskwarrior Sun 28-May-17 22:41:25

Exactly, Bandeau. Handmaid or the colonies. No choice at all. She had to agree to it in order to stay in Gilead and look for her daughter.

And they banked on that. That way they could say 'oh, they all agreed to it. It's perfectly fine. They understand they're doing a wonderful thing.'

There was a film made in the 90s (I think) that we watched at college. In that, this was her first posting and when she was first raped she cried and Serena Joy was shushing her. Awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now