Talk

Advanced search

White Gold

(29 Posts)
Davros Sun 28-May-17 11:04:46

I've only watched the first episode and expected it to be ordinary and cliched but I thought it was a cut above. Really enjoyed it. It probably helps that I worked at an insurance company when this was set and had a lot of interaction with the sales force who were just like this. Another series with an excuse for a good soundtrack

TheHiphopopotamus Sun 28-May-17 19:39:09

I enjoyed it too and wasn't expecting to. It's a nice bit of nostalgia and the soundtrack is fab. So much so, I binge watched the whole series on iplayer.

The guy who plays the lead is very charismatic though, which helps as he's such a tosspot.

MoonriseKingdom Sun 28-May-17 21:45:55

Really enjoying this too. Like a grown up version of The Inbetweeners with added 80s. Ed Westwick is rather attractive - weird seeing him speak with such an Essex accent when he usually sounds American (I know he is actually English).

SherlockHolmes Sun 28-May-17 22:12:06

I thought it was very "teenage boy" humour. Was looking forward to it being set in the 80s, which was quite good, but it didn't really do it for me.

Davros Sun 28-May-17 23:59:41

I've resisted watching the whole lot so far but will definitely be watching it again

Glitteryfrog Mon 29-May-17 13:22:40

I've really enjoyed it.
I love Ed Westwick in Gossip girl and the Inbetweeners.
Some of it doesn't seem quite 80s enough - I was only born in '83 tho.

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 29-May-17 13:36:59

Yes, it's not quite 80's enough, is it? I felt the same about Ashes to Ashes as well.

It also made me laugh when he was standing in the porch of a house with a uPVC door and double glazed windows and said something like 'imagine this porch, toasty warm with full double glazing'. Er, yeah, not that hard to imagine then...grin

I guess houses with their original wooden window frames and wooden doors are hard to come by these days.

glitterglitters Wed 31-May-17 22:03:04

Watched the whole series and it's brilliant. I used to work in sales and a lot of the people I worked with worked in the 80s and it's pretty spot on.

The special Friday treat is HILARIOUS grin

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 07-Jun-17 21:53:35

Ed west wick comes to my kids school sometimes grin

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 07-Jun-17 21:55:04

The episode with the tax inspector was filth

It's very funny tho

After two episodes tho I felt jay and Simon were back just older with bad hair.

Glitteryfrog Wed 07-Jun-17 22:01:48

Ed west wick comes to my kids school sometimes

What??? How? Why?

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 07-Jun-17 22:36:27

I don't want to say but he has been seen on several occasion. Drives a very nice car.

PolaDeVeboise Thu 08-Jun-17 11:07:55

Made, I agree that it's just Jay and Simon re-visited, but they're still VERY funny. Ed Westwick is brilliant - love the arrogance.

thewooster Fri 09-Jun-17 18:48:13

I'm old enough to remember the 80s and I'm loving this series. Ed Westwick is great.

Davros Sat 10-Jun-17 09:53:29

I've only got up to the Tax Inspector and was a bit disappointed as the Vincent character was so completely unlikeable in it. I'll stick with it though

thewooster Sat 10-Jun-17 11:24:22

the schoolgirl page 3 model bit was really icky but genuinely happened and those of us old enough to remember hated the schoolgirl totty foisted onto us from our 'family' newspapers. Loved that they included it so we can now sit back and see how shit it all was.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sun 11-Jun-17 00:18:07

Ed Westwick is one of my favourite actors so I knew I had to see this as he was in it. Also an added bonus that two of the Inbetweeners are in it too.

Only seen the first episode but I loved it!

Ev1lEdna Wed 14-Jun-17 14:52:14

Ed west wick comes to my kids school sometimes

I may be a little bit jealous.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 16-Jun-17 17:17:27

Assuming ed is a dad at your kids schools ....

Love love love this series. Prob helps that I loved the inbetweeners

And as made in the 80's they can be quite rude and sexist

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 16-Jun-17 17:25:22

Blondeshavemorefun Ed Westwick doesn't have any children.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 16-Jun-17 17:32:23

Blondeshavemorefun He also lives in Los Angeles, so even if he did have children, which he doesn't, they wouldn't be going to school in the UK.

Madeyemoodysmum Fri 16-Jun-17 20:23:48

I'm not lying he has a relative in my child's school. It's common knowledge within the school He isn't seen often but he has been to events etc. He may well live in la but he has relatives near me

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 16-Jun-17 21:03:07

Madeyemoodysmum I didn't think you were lying. I just know he doesn't have children so that wasn't the reason he goes there often grin

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 16-Jun-17 22:51:39

I should have googled him first 😁

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 16-Jun-17 23:11:13

No worries, Blondeshavemorefun grin I'm a massive fan of his so know a lot about his life blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now