Talk

Advanced search

now tv

(7 Posts)
Pipsqueak11 Tue 23-May-17 20:36:34

i have a subscription for Now tv but don't have a box so at the moment can only watch it on my laptop . is there a way of watching it on TV without getting a box? i don't really want to make the investment as i am not sure if i am going to keep the subscription going . we have a quite new Sony telly but the Now tv guidance refers to watching it on a samsung tv only . the community forums refer to something called Chrome cast but i have no idea what that is . any advice much appreciated .

PedantHere Tue 23-May-17 20:40:16

If you turn it on on the mobile app, there'll be an icon in the top right corner (see picture) if your TV and mobile device are on the same network. Tap it and whatever you choose will appear on your TV.

PedantHere Tue 23-May-17 20:41:34

Alternatively, you can connect your laptop to TV with an HDMI or VGA cable.

Pipsqueak11 Tue 23-May-17 21:32:34

thanks Pedant - will have a go!

Pipsqueak11 Tue 23-May-17 22:07:56

got the app - thanks Pedant . cant believe i didnt think of trying that - settling in for some serious televisual time wasting

HunkyDory69 Wed 24-May-17 10:49:12

Derailing slightly here - I guess the direct connection will allow you to control what's on your TV but not the sound - I think that still comes from the laptop, from when I used to do that?

Bigger issue for me is the parental pin. You have to type it so it appears on the screen, whether using the app of the box, plugged into your laptop or using a remote control app. How in heavens name can you hide it from teens, short of chucking them out of the room (& then they'd get a periscope! )

It seems to be a real shortcoming!

PedantHere Wed 24-May-17 17:02:40

I guess the direct connection will allow you to control what's on your TV but not the sound - I think that still comes from the laptop, from when I used to do that?

If you connect with an HDMI cable then the sound comes through the TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now