Talk

Advanced search

OJ SIMPSON-seriously how the f@@@?

(15 Posts)
russetbella1000 Wed 17-May-17 22:40:58

I know this has prob been done to death but just watching a bit of the doc on BBC FOUR...

Just horrific how he got away with it in the full gaze of the American public.

The world is so unjust 😒

CoolCarrie Wed 17-May-17 23:22:42

I have been watching this since Sunday and it is shocking and inconceivable that he got away with it and my heart goes out to the families of Nicole and Ron. It shows that money can buy anything

CoolCarrie Wed 17-May-17 23:27:23

I feel sorry for the prosecution to see how stupid the jury were to disregard all the dna, the cold hard evidence of his guilt at least the bastard is in jail now

russetbella1000 Wed 17-May-17 23:34:09

So awful. Yes their poor families and Nicole's children too, just horrific.

Nothing surprises me any more...
And nothing scares me more than herd stupidity.

No wonder Trump's in office and then there's the imminent election here to worry about 😬😬

user1484603141 Wed 17-May-17 23:59:19

There was a series I think called American Crime Story on last year, covering the car chase to the end of the trial. Flippin brilliant. Showed all the mistakes the DA office made, and how OJ got away with it, the best one was Rob Kardashian, I think by the end he knew OJ had done it.

CoolCarrie Thu 18-May-17 06:40:28

That tv series was excellent, John Travolta was surprisingly good.

Kannet Thu 18-May-17 06:41:42

I read one theory , that he was covering for his son, who had known temper issues. Who knows

WellErrr Thu 18-May-17 06:48:22

I think his son did it.

Whole thing stinks though

WellWhoKnew Thu 18-May-17 06:48:44

OJ Simpson had anger issues.

Frequently. So frequent, in fact he was able to repeatedly beat his wife, safe in the knowledge that nothing was going to be done about it because nothing ever was.

Kannet Thu 18-May-17 06:57:48

I think he most likely did it. I can't believe he got away with it. The son theory just made me think!

DispatchReady Thu 18-May-17 09:41:24

That documentary was so interesting as it showed how he did get away with it - I didn't really know anything about him at the time until the car chase but as a young man he really came across as an all American hero, he showed the public a charming side and was very charismatic. The people loved him. Add in the particular racial tensions at that time - Rodney King etc, and people wanting their sporting icon to be innocent. The prosecution totally fucked up what should have been an open and shut case and the defence were master manipulators. It's so frustrating to watch it all unfold as he was so guilty. The saddest thing is that the two victims got totally lost in the circus.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Thu 18-May-17 09:46:13

He got away with it because the corruption and white supremacy of the LAPD made it totally unfit for purpose. Brown and Goldman were just the most famous victims of repeated miscarriages of justice, most of whom were poor and not white.

One of the main detectives on the case was a literal Nazi. Whose reward for utterly fucking the prosecution was a slot on Fox News.

The real scandal of OJ is not OJ. It didn't happen because of one awful abusive man. It happened because of systemic failure. Both the miniseries and the ESPN documentary are great for finally acknowledging this.

LouiseBrooks Thu 18-May-17 13:21:51

I am now watching this for the second time and to be honest, I still don't know how he got away with it, regardless of all the mistakes the police and the prosecution made, or the political climate at that time. There was so much evidence against him. Mark Fuhrman may well have been a racist but there is no way he would he have been able to take a glove from the crime scene, due to the fact that around a dozen officers had got there before him and already noticed one missing, and although he lied on the stand, it actually had nothing to do with the evidence . It became that calling someone the N word (vile as it is) was considered worse than butchering two people. (Interestingly on last night's episode some the crime scene photos were blurred out more than they were in the original transmission. Nonetheless they were still truly shocking.)

People on the jury seemed unable to grasp the simple fact (or chose not to, perhaps) that if DNA is contaminated, it gives an inconclusive result, it does not say that the blood is OJ's if it was that of Mr X, or even OJ's son (who frankly had far less reason to kill Nicole than OJ did. As far as I'm concerned he;s just a red herring.) The defence were manipulative and very clever, although it sticks in my craw to say that.

OJ had motive, opportunity and means. Some evidence was not even presented by the prosecution (such as the woman who saw OJ driving recklessly near the crime scene at the right time and actually noted down his license plate.

I also found the attitude of some people towards Nicole in particular quite sickening and

LouiseBrooks Thu 18-May-17 13:24:39

Whoops, sorry, thought I was previewing not posting!

I also found the attitude of some people towards Nicole in particular quite sickening and half the time Ron Goldman seems to have been completely forgotten. He was going to meet friends that evening and wouldn't even have been there if he hadn't stopped by to drop off Nicole's mother's glasses.

BMW6 Thu 18-May-17 22:30:16

Am watching part 5 now. Two members of the jury have said they voted not guilty in revenge for Rodney King.
Having watched all I can see why it happened TBH.
Totally unjust for Nicole and Ron of course, but in the face of hundreds of years of lychings, slavery, murder, beatings and social injustice.......

A black man said to camera "Now you know how we have felt"

Very thought provoking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now