Talk

Advanced search

Which is the stupidest ITV game show: Bigheads or Babushka?

(28 Posts)
Nettletheelf Sat 13-May-17 14:43:33

I and a friend are opposed on which is the stupidest ITV game show: Bigheads or Babushka. Yes, we really do concentrate on the important issues of the day. We are both 45 and should know better, yes.

Both are shown on ITV (also known as 'channel shit' in my house), so, you know, a low base.

The case for Bigheads being the stupidest programme:

- Like 'It's a Knockout' or 'Ninja Warrior', only the competitors run around in big papier-mâché heads that look like crap celebrities like Will I Am and Posh Spice.

- Presented by cut price/buy one, get one free TV presenters (Jason Manford, Kriss Akabussi, Jenny whatshername who hasn't been seen in years)

- Has a singalong bit with one of the papier-mache heads bouncing along on top of the words.

The case for Babushka being the stupidest programme:

- quiz based around opening pretend Russian dolls, all of which have a different name and are treated like old friends with distinct personalities.

- is a bit like 'deal or no deal' for people who don't do numbers.

- presented by a cut price TV presenter (Rylan Teeth).

I am strongly in favour of Babushka being the stupidest one, on the grounds that it doesn't know that it is a stupid programme whereas the person who pitched 'Bigheads' is surely sniggering knowingly into his/her gin at the Groucho Club.

My friend says that Bigheads wins on the basis of being inherently stupid, even if it is studied.

Who is right????

Glad to see that ITV is maintaining its quality standards.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 13-May-17 15:32:10

Haven't seen either but I raise you "Tipping Point" <<disclaimer : I watched it when I was too ill to switch off>>

Giant Arcade game of Shove H'appeny type thing.

General Knowledge where they don;t just give the answer , they ponder and debate it:

Ben S: "What ingredients make up Eton Mess"
Contestant: "Oh, Eton Mess . I should know this, I was in the semi-finals for the third selection of 'Bake-Off' <<hearty chuckle>>.
Well, now. Eton Mess. It was invented when some Bright Young Things from Eton School were walking along with a Pavlova and one of them tripped. They panicked, scooped it up into a bowl, threw on some more fruit and Ta-Dah . I think they were all pissed three sheets to the wind and didn't realise................"
Audience going Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Ben S is thinking "Get a fecking move on , we finish at 5"

Contestant : "So, ingredients. Well, Pavlova is meringue of course. And cream. And what fruit. Hmmmmm. You'd think strawberries wouldn't you , but that's Wimbledon <<chuckle>> . I'm going for raspberries......."

Ben S "Have to hurry you, is that your answer?"

"Yes. Meringue. Cream. Raspberries" <<cue smug grin>>

Ben S "That is corrrrrrr-ect. Pick a lane Stop building up your fecking part. I'm the Star here "

<<sigh>>

Bigheads or Babooska has be be an improvement surely confused

troodiedoo Sat 13-May-17 15:37:57

Having recently had a baby I've had time to ponder this question too. Have concluded they think of an amusing name for a TV show then the format will follow, no matter how ridiculous the format. If it can be made into a money spinning board game, so much the better.

Despite myself, I really like rylan though. I think he has potential to be monkhouse good. Imagine if they'd have got Joe swash or someone!

Nettletheelf Sat 13-May-17 15:58:38

Oh yes, Tipping Point. My dad (84) started watching it and I had to have a word to remind him of the importance of keeping his synapses lively to ward off dementia.

Watching that fool Ben Shepard would cause anybody's brain cells to combust.

The BBC aren't immune though. I just remembered 'Hole in the Wall'.

Like the idea of 'think of a name and the format will follow'. I might pitch a few ideas:

Man in the Iron Mask: contestants locked inside an iron mask until a team of celebrities led by Lionel Blair and Lauren Goodger build an arc welder from components salvaged from a scrap yard and free the contestants before they starve to death.

Touch the Truck: contestants have to stand by a truck, touching it, until everybody else falls asleep and they win the truck....oh hang on....

WowserBowser Sat 13-May-17 16:02:52

Oh i loved Hole In The Wall!! I was only recently watching clips of it on YouTube. Vanessa Feltz mainly.

'Wild Things' on Sky 1 is another good one.

troodiedoo Sat 13-May-17 16:09:46

I'll raise you "amazing greys" a show that pitted talented pensioners against common or garden young people in a series of mental and physical challenges. Presented by Angela Rippon and paddy mcGuinness. It was a sad day in our house when we learned there would be no second series.

ItsAYesFromMe Sat 13-May-17 16:09:51

Wild Things is great. The couples just argue each other all the time.
Person 1-'Why didn't you hit the acorn? I was telling you to go left!'
Person 2-'Cos I'm wearing a fucking duck outfit and I can't see!'

troodiedoo Sat 13-May-17 16:14:49

Ha that's reminded me of that one that was on sat tea time where there were couples driving cars blindfolded grin it didn't last long.

Nettletheelf Sat 13-May-17 16:21:06

How have I missed Amazing Greys and Wild Things???

Who pairs Angela Rippon with Paddy McGuinness and thinks, "there's a TV presenting dream team"? I can only presume that the purpose of the programme was to convey the message, 'old people are clever and young people are thick, and if you doubt it, just look at our presenters'.

I also just watched a giant chicken and a beaver attempt to rescue one half of Jedward and a random woman from electrified wires in a woodland glade. I expect it was devised by the same team as 'Bigheads'!

LightYears Sat 13-May-17 16:42:08

All I'm going to say is bring back The Chase.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 13-May-17 19:22:16

Ooh The Chase .I miss Bradders.
I'm even reduced to watching London Paladium and previous episodes of The Chase on Challenge.

<<sigh>>

Bradders knocks Rylan Teeth into a cocked hat <<gavel>>

LightYears Sat 13-May-17 19:29:20

grin Yes, The Chase fix on Challenge.

Just checked to see if they're doing a new series, they're going all Saturday night sad, only a few episodes too.

uk.news.yahoo.com/the-chase-itv-unveil-new-family-twist-for-2017-series-134119563.html

Cary2012 Sat 13-May-17 20:01:06

Am currently watching The Chase on demand, that's how sad I am.

Agree that Tipping Point is tosh (was going to say pointless, but I like that...)

AltheaThoon Sat 13-May-17 21:58:44

I miss Golden Balls with Jasper Carrot. It was amusing terrible when one player stole all of the money at the end when the other person chose to share.

Not quite as good as Robert Kilroy Silk's Shafted: "Are you going to share or are you going to shaft?"

I've not seen Babushka but it sounds crap.

troodiedoo Sat 13-May-17 22:02:08

Ha forgot about golden balls! grin or maybe my brain repressed it.

Rafflesway Sun 14-May-17 15:09:36

Got to be Bigheads surely!

What an absolute load of crap.

Babushka isn't in the same league of crapness.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 14-May-17 18:46:19

In this house we love Wild Things. Even super cool 15 yo DS howls with laughter at it.

Bigheads is shit, haven't seen Babushka yet but might try it as I love Rylan.

Goldenballs was indeed brilliant, I'd love that to be back on.

SnowBallsAreHere Sun 14-May-17 18:55:27

Haven't seen Bigheada but have had the misfortune of watching Babushka and it is shite. Rylan Teeth great name for him is toecurlingly bad, and given it's meant to be Russian dolls names I have been forced to yell at the tv that its Ol-yah not Oilier. Repeat for most of the other names too. And they can't have personalities as they are bloody wooden dolls.
Maybe I should make he kids switch to Bigheads. wink. Or record the Chase for us to go back to watching with their after school snack.

SnowBallsAreHere Sun 14-May-17 19:28:42

No, I've seen 5 minutes of Bigheads now and it is truly crap. WTF is it??

JustDanceAddict Sun 14-May-17 20:13:05

I watched 2 mins of Bigheads, I thought it was an impressions show and soon realised it was a pile of turd.
Not watched Babushka but if it's Rylan it's got to be cheesy AF. Pmsl at Rylan Teeth!!!
I'm a bit of a Chase lover esp the last 5 mins...
dh was a particular fan of Deal or No Deal - it was weirdly compelling.

Nettletheelf Sun 14-May-17 23:33:26

I saw a bit of Bigheads earlier (research) and saw Vladimir Putin, Simon Cowell and Adele doing an assault course, then somebody in a rubber Taylor Swift head serenading somebody in a giant Russell Brand head . It must surely have been designed by somebody who thought, "let's see if we can get this past the ITV audience. They watch Tipping Point after all".

I bet it was noted game show genius Richard Osman!

Whereas Babushka is truly crap and appears to have been dreamed up by somebody who thinks it is a good game and that we'll all choose our favourite doll and buy tie-in merchandise.

AltheaThoon Tue 16-May-17 20:35:54

I saw Babushka yesterday. Who on earth dreamt that up? And if they didn't stretch out the questions so much it could be done in 20 minutes.
Rylan: asks a question
Contestants: discuss
Rylan: Repeats question
Contestants: Give answer
Rylan: repeats answer, asks if they want to lock it in
Contestants: confirm answer
Rylan: Repeats question, tells computer to lock answer in
Rylan: Asks computer for the answer
FIVE SECOND PAUSE TO BUILD TENSION
Answer revealed.

Every. Single. Time!

PolaDeVeboise Thu 18-May-17 10:42:17

LEAVE TIPPING POINT AND BEN SHEPARD ALONE. I can get nasty you know! I want to go on simply for a Ben hug.

Big Heads - the weans love it, so I think it's found its level.

Babushka - boring and, ultimately, shite. However, I think Rylan is doing really well, he doesn't look down on the contestants like a lot of hosts do.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 18-May-17 22:24:17

Pola you are more than welcome to Ben S, you'll be in a Fan Club of 2.
You'n'Ben.

Now, how to get everyone crowbarred off Bradders wink...............

LineysRun Thu 18-May-17 22:27:04

I'm quite warming to Rylan Teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now