Talk

Advanced search

Am I making this up re. Kirsten O'Brien?

(13 Posts)
ThomasRichard Sat 06-May-17 19:51:34

This is going back a good 20 years to when she was chosen to present CBBC on BBC1. I seem to remember that they had a line-up of wannabe presenters, who did a spiel each and then the viewers at home had to tap their TV screen. The taps equalled votes, which showed on a live bar graph. The one with the most votes got to be the presenter.

There's no way that this could have worked, is there? It's a very vivid memory though!

nakedandconcerned Sun 07-May-17 19:23:44

Are you sure it wasn't press the red button...this does sound familiar though

ThomasRichard Sun 07-May-17 19:38:20

It was before the days of the red button. I'm 90% sure it happened but would love to know because it was so odd.

DeleteOrDecay Tue 09-May-17 21:04:43

I vaguely remember something like this on SMTV Live. The only reason I remember is because I was once watching tv from the top bunk in my bedroom and tried to rush down to the tv so I could join in. Didn't get there in time though, I was guttedgrin

ThomasRichard Tue 09-May-17 21:56:16

grin How would I word a FOI request? I really want to know this but if I've dreamed it up they're going to think I'm bonkers.

ThomasRichard Tue 09-May-17 21:59:17

Doing some more Googling I've just found out about Mark Speight shock How utterly, tragically awful. I was living abroad at the time and missed it completely. He was a staple of my childhood.

DeleteOrDecay Tue 09-May-17 22:02:16

Ah yes that was incredibly sadsad poor man.

MetalLaLa Tue 09-May-17 22:03:44

I actually remember this OP! Not a figment of your imagination.

MyFavouriteName Tue 09-May-17 22:04:03

How would they have done that before touch screens?!

ThomasRichard Tue 09-May-17 22:11:40

Yes Metal! If I'm not making it up, I voted for the chap with the beard and my brother voted for Kirsten.

MyFavouriteName I don't think they could. Did the Beeb scam x-million kids?!

LIZS Tue 09-May-17 22:12:48

Michael Underwood was awarded a presenting contract by public vote.

QueenMortificado Tue 09-May-17 22:16:02

I am sure I remember this too

Although I also remember Andi Peters in the broom cupboard telling people to do things at their tv screens and as a result, I really thought that he could see hundreds of tiny squares on a big screen right in to people's living rooms.

Andi peters is a massive fan of pineapple. Random fact for you which has stuck in my head for always for some reason.

DeleteOrDecay Tue 09-May-17 22:17:00

Yeah but not by pressing a 'button' on the tv screengrin

I think it's fair to assume it was a load of nonsense. I doubt they could do this now what with LED screens and what not. Can you imagine the complaints from irate parents who's kids have damaged their to screens as a result?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now