The Island with Bear Grylls

(24 Posts)
Tigresswoods Mon 24-Apr-17 21:45:57

Interesting dynamic this year.

I wonder who will be first to leave?

Tigresswoods Mon 24-Apr-17 21:56:09

Freddie then. Aaaahhhhh.

elkegel Mon 24-Apr-17 21:57:38

Didn't see the first one but they all seemed like a bunch of bullies to Freddy. I hope they all get the raging shits, especially that megabitch with the glasses.

elkegel Mon 24-Apr-17 21:58:39

Kaggy. Just so unsympathetic and horrible.

GavelRavel Mon 24-Apr-17 22:06:04

Just watching ep1 and am shouting at the screen already. Do they not watch previous series these people? Don't wander off into the jungle and get the fire built asap ffs! Id have to murder that chippy electrician, hope he's the first out. He hated Freddie on sight cos he's posher than him. Hate people like that.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 24-Apr-17 23:08:06

I only caught the last 20 mins or so of ep1, but judging from that and the trailer for ep2, it's going to turn into a Love Island/Jungle Shore scenario, with glittery bikinis, discussions about nipples, and (from the trailer), skinny-dipping.
Looks like they've selected a few exhibitionists to draw the pervy crowd. Shame - I always appreciate the lack of that sort of crap in survival-type progs - even though it's all to be taken with a pinch of salt.

GavelRavel Mon 24-Apr-17 23:14:41

They've got Ben Sherman shirts on and the like this year, don't really seem to be (fake) roughing it this year.

SashaSashays Tue 25-Apr-17 00:02:43

I think Freddie was a bit pathetic but probably at 18, most would be unprepared.

Considering we watch it for the drama, stupid decisions and failing I'm quite liking it. I love the shouting at the tv as would probably be boring if it was all plain sailing for them.

I'm intrigued by the preview of next episode. I wonder who they're voting off and why.

Ben is annoying but I think I could sort of tolerate him a bit like a grumpy toddler. Frank on the other hand would piss me right off! I had to mute it tonight as he was whinging on. Like people at the bus stop who just won't shut up.

Algebraic Tue 25-Apr-17 00:17:38

I'd have to nut Frank if I was on an island with him. 'Missus gets the tea on table at 6:30 else there's trouble'. Good god.
The electrician is a ball bag, he'll make good viewing.
I fear they've tried to 'sex it up' this year :/

elkegel Tue 25-Apr-17 04:47:22

I never watched it for the drama, I always wanted to see how people survived really, how they (mostly) triumphed over adversity. There were the odd one or two annoying people and disagreements but mostly people were reasonable, collaborated and got on well.

These lot seem more unlikeable and as if they are doing it for the fame rather than to challenge themselves. It feels more like Big Brother, which I always found boring.

I'll give it another go, but I found myself not really liking anyone last night.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 25-Apr-17 09:07:21

Absolutely Big Brother-like elkegel, feels like they're about to start accusing each other of 'game playing' at any moment. It never fails to amaze me that, in every group they feature, the main thrust in everyone's mind seems to be 'relax and enjoy the beach,' while a tiny percentage actually make the effort to find food. I know that would be the first thing I'd be thinking of every moment if I was there. Just as if there's no food in the fridge I'm off to the supermarket, not having a lie down.

brassbrass Tue 25-Apr-17 09:11:49

Just watching ep1 and am shouting at the screen already. Do they not watch previous series these people? Don't wander off into the jungle and get the fire built asap ffs! Id have to murder that chippy electrician, hope he's the first out. He hated Freddie on sight cos he's posher than him. Hate people like that.

My thoughts exactly Gavel. I thought Freddie came across really well considering he's the youngest.

user1484578224 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:38:06

poor Fred....he was really set up. don't think he could cope after pooing his pants.

purpleme12 Tue 09-May-17 00:28:39

I thought it was still that they voted that man off the island. Yeah sure he might have done things wrong and not been easy to live with etc but what gives them the right to behave like that

purpleme12 Tue 09-May-17 00:32:47

That's supposed to say I thought it was awful

honeyroar Tue 09-May-17 04:23:34

My dad used to know Frank pretty well. I met him once. He was loud, brash and insensitive!

Agoddessonamountaintop Tue 09-May-17 08:00:50

Haven't seen the latest episode (I think there's been aother one since the vote), but I agree purple. I thought that guy was out of order with his naked swimming etc, but I also thought that the point of the experiment was to make people cope with whatever eventuality cropped up. I also thought those two female ring-leaders were well-used to bullying as a normal way of behaving, and they'll turn on someone else now he's gone.
Very disappointing that no one else relly spoke up against it, just bleated to the cameras.

BBCNewsRave Wed 10-May-17 02:16:52

I know it's the middle of the night but I'm watching episode 3 now and want to scream at fire hogging guy - is it Phil?
I thought they were being mean to him at first cos he was being a bit hippy dippy and different, but after the nudity, pouring the oil on the fire (why so much of it, FGS?) and not letting the others near the fire - dickhead! And then saying they were showing signs of hypothermia!

I don't think the women are bullies, or "ringleaders". He's the one causing the issues, they are just standing up to him. He's one of those men who are just selfish and arrogant, refusing to acknowledge he made a mistake and trying to silence them, turning everything round on them as if it's them causing the problem - ugh.

Even Mr. Misogynist Frank managed to apologise for shouting (and actually I could understand why he was pissed off in that instance).

BBCNewsRave Wed 10-May-17 02:17:54

Also, I think the younger ones seem different to what we're used to because they have been hand-picked to represent the ignorant/soft youth of today... grin

GavelRavel Wed 10-May-17 04:25:28

I've just watched ep4 and those 2 women get a lot worse, they really are awful.

SashaSashays Wed 10-May-17 08:58:05

I initially didn't think Phil(?) was that bad, even with the nakedness, it was his reaction to being told it made other people uncomfortable that was the problem.

Also WTF was that about with his finger?! I bet it did hurt but the way he went on I thought he'd severed a limb! I've cut myself more than that in the kitchen and still been able to sort myself out. When you saw him going to sleep with it in the air shock Dickhead.

Add in the oil on the fire and the huffing about 'tending it' I'm not surprised it nearly went a bit Lord of The Flies.

I didn't agree with the voting him off the island though, but I think with a personality like Jane there isn't much room for compromise. I've watched the most recent episode and she's really shown her true colours by threatening to slap one of the girls, having temper tantrums and storming off. Aaron/Alan (not sure on the name) calmly suggested in against her and became the unexpected hero against what seems to be a complete bully.

I'm still not convinced the youngsters are that bad, its Big Bad Ben, who is doing most of the fishing and the construction of the new shelters, and its actually Jane who has gone on to be the most dominating negative force.

Tiddler7 Wed 10-May-17 12:00:35

I also don't agree with voting anyone off. What if it was real life, they would have pushed him off the cliff???

Having huge shelter done for Thames also seems like cheating to me.

Tiddler7 Wed 10-May-17 12:00:49

them

BBCNewsRave Wed 10-May-17 13:14:14

I'm amazed you think the women are so awful! The slapping thing and setting up separate camp hmm was awful (and again, unlike Phil they apologised) but they seemed fine up until then - just frustrated because Phil wouldn't engage, wouldn't apologise, would talk about things. When the police one said "I've met a lot of men like you" - I bet she has! What do you do with men like that?

Voting him off was a collective "LTB", really. I don't like the idea of voting someone off but essentially with people who won't co-operate, won't share, won't apologise when they do something wrong, won't talk about things - you can only walk away. In real life men like that don't really get the comeuppance they deserve, so the community ejecting him was quite satisfying. On the other hand, as it was a group not a "LTB" personal relationship, they may have been able to give him one last chance as he wouldn't have the same power to manipulate them as in a one-to-one relationship - he'd have to step into line knowing the community wouldn't stand for his behaviour. (But it'd have to be at the last minute - point out he doesn't have to leave if he'll only apologise and try to consider others, and turn the boat away. I don't know if he'd have apologised though).

But he really was acting like he was reading a script from "how to be an abuser"... the same gaslighting, the same trying to turn it round on others, the same refusal to engage in conversation to sort it out, and finally, the same righteous attitude trying to look like the good, reasonable guy (he actually says something about why can't they talk about it - because you refused to, dickhead!)

Sorry - blush grin just that I've met a lot of men like him too. Frank OTOH has shown hope for redemption. grin

I'm not sure about the shelter - they said it was the worst storm there in years so perhaps it really was just much worse than previous islanders had to face. The decision to take down the tarp once that particular storm had passed means it was only that one they got help with.

I'm surprised the men haven't gone off hunting - the loudmouth men from each group, I mean, Frank and Ben. They seem like the type to want a trophy kill asap! And why on earth were the women trying to hunt caiman at night?! It's always been daytime hunting on previous series.

Also wondering if the suncream, shaving oil and razors are left at the camera/film drop... and what else is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now