Talk

Advanced search

Hinterland

(28 Posts)
M0nica Thu 06-Apr-17 22:49:46

So excited this is back on.
Can anyone remind me of the Iwan/Gwen Thomas storyline? I can't remember DCI Mathias having an affair & their daughter dying confused

buggerthebotox Fri 07-Apr-17 08:34:49

Afaik Iwan lost a daughter, a teenager. During the course of the investigation, Matthias had a fling with the grieving mother, Iwan's ex/current wife (can't remember the details). The wife then took her own life and Matthias was investigated, as a result of this and other misdemeanours.

Matthias also has lost a child.

Don't want to spoil; Hinterland has already been shown in full in Welsh and has now finished. I've seen it all, and I don't know which episodes ate being shown on Bbc.

It's weird in English!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 07-Apr-17 08:49:30

I thought the grieving mother (that Mathias had affair with) was murdered by same bloke who murdered her daughter. Bloke made a tiny figure of her lying in the dinghy.
I don't think we've heard the whole story of what happened to Mathias' daughter

buggerthebotox Fri 07-Apr-17 11:50:40

Breakfast is right about the grieving mother. blush.

I love Matthias with his hangdog face and big puppy dog eyessmile. too many doggy references there

SapphireStrange Fri 07-Apr-17 16:11:27

I'm sure I'm up to date on this but I don't remember the grieving mother being murdered or the tiny figure of her in the dinghy. confused

I think I watch too much telly and some of it just dribbles back out of my brain.

Do you mean this is back on in England/English? I can't find it in my listings. I love it –I think it has a really special atmosphere and look, from the opening credits on. Can't wait!

buggerthebotox Fri 07-Apr-17 17:09:01

I must admit to things dribbling out of my poor old brain toogrin.

Yes it's on in English, but I'm in Wales. If you have Sky, it's on Weds at 9. Find it on BBC Wales. It'll be on Catchup too.

This is the last ever series. I prefer it in Welsh and don't get why it's been broadcast in both languages. Why don't they just dub the Welsh version?confused.

SapphireStrange Fri 07-Apr-17 17:16:14

I think I'll watch it on iPlayer. It doesn't seem to be coming up on ordinary telly in England.

I know, I don't get why they film it twice. It must cost a fortune, apart from anything else.

I'd happily watch a subtitled version – not dubbed; dubbed things just look like dreadful 80s adverts for weird European sweets. grin

buggerthebotox Fri 07-Apr-17 17:24:38

I meant subtitled, not dubbed.blush. Not with it at all today!

SapphireStrange Fri 07-Apr-17 17:27:17

Ah, OK. grin

grosseconnasse Tue 11-Apr-17 00:18:14

Watched this last night and noticed it's now half in English and half in Welsh with subtitles, presumably to save money and not film two versions.

The grieving mother who slept with Mathias was killed by a bearded guy who had a big room at the train station, with some sort of miniature version of everything and everyone. Mathias knew she was dead because the killer had put the miniature version of her in her miniature boat next to her miniature house. He had already killed her daughter, she was found sitting up in the middle of a field wearing a dress. Does that ring any bells?

SapphireStrange Tue 11-Apr-17 10:21:27

I certainly remember the murdered daughter and the bearded guy who lived in a big room at the train station. Just don't remember the mother being killed. confused

The 'English' version has always been partly in English and partly in subtitled Welsh, as far as I know.

cardibach Tue 11-Apr-17 21:10:35

buggerthebottox because it's an experiment in bilingual tv. It's filmed twice, apart from those scenes still appearing in We
She with subtitles. The idea is to see what can be accomplished/how things change, I think. I like that the practicalities of this mean lots of brooding, silent shots which only need to be filmed once! It gives it real atmosphere. Most people would prefer not to have to rely onsubtitles, if have thought, so this allows for maximum uptake while maintaining/extending Welsh programming. I love it in both versions!

diddl Wed 12-Apr-17 21:28:47

I love this programme.

Yes, odd to me that they don't just do it in Welsh & then subtitle it.

NoMoreMissusNiceGuy Wed 12-Apr-17 22:42:22

I love this grin
Dh has an internet pal (who was an extra in the 2nd series) who lives in Devil's Bridge. We went to Devil's Bridge for our holidays the summer before last and spent a week location spotting around there and Aberystwyth. It was great fun grin

We even found the railway station where the murderer had his model. It's a mainline station but the bit featured in the programme is a museum on the platform (it was shut the day we went unfortunately)

diddl Thu 13-Apr-17 09:07:26

"Most people would prefer not to have to rely onsubtitles,"

Do you think so?

I find if the drama is good enough it makes no difference.

Even the "English" version has Welsh in it, doesn't it, so subtitles still necessary for non Welsh speakers-just not as many!

buggerthebotox Thu 13-Apr-17 13:13:57

I agree with you, diddl. But cardi's explanation makes sense.

I always thought the English version was supposed to make Matthias even more isolated and "other"; ie non-Welsh speaking.

SapphireStrange Thu 13-Apr-17 13:44:40

I know what you mean, bugger. I'm English and don't speak Welsh, so watching the English one I identify with him; when others around him speak Welsh he has to rely on people interpreting and I have to rely on the subtitles.

But in the Welsh version, does Matthias speak Welsh? I thought the actor himself didn't.

GavelRavel Thu 13-Apr-17 14:08:15

I thought Matthias was supposed to peak Welsh in the series? We just don't hear it because the actor isn't fluent (as an aside I find him quiet hot, is it just me?)

I'm watching it on iPlayer, on EP 2 of series 3. I must admit the whole children's home thing is dragging a bit, just spit it out already!

SapphireStrange Thu 13-Apr-17 14:26:35

I don't know, Gavel. In the English one, at least, Welsh speakers like his younger colleagues speak Welsh to the woman detective (can't remember her name) and Welsh-speaking locals, but switch to English to speak to him.

diddl Thu 13-Apr-17 14:39:20

I also agree with cardi.

I can imagine that it's quite authentic that some people speak one or the other language or a mixture.

RH does speak Welsh, I think, but as a second language, although he was born & brought up there.

But isn't his character supposed to be Welsh & have lived in England for years? So if his Welsh is halting at first & then improves, that would be quite fitting?

LooseAtTheSeams Thu 13-Apr-17 15:23:09

Yes, RH said his Welsh was rusty to begin with but much improved after filming the first series! The dynamics are subtly different in each version. The younger male detective is more awkward in English and more confident in Welsh. Mathias is more of an outsider in the English version.
only seen ep. 1 of new series but good to see we're getting closer to what happened at the children's home...!

diddl Thu 13-Apr-17 15:24:48

OT, but is anyone watching 35 Dirwnod?

GavelRavel Thu 13-Apr-17 17:35:11

I've solved it. The version on iPlayer must be the "English" one where Richard Harrington only speaks English. The version on now TV etc must be the Welsh one as in the same episodes they speak Welsh throughout, including Richard Harrington. I gather though, why not just subtite the Welsh one for worldwide viewing like the Scandinavian dramas?

buggerthebotox Thu 13-Apr-17 17:45:30

Watching 35 Diwrnod too!

gavel if you have iplayer, the Welsh version, Y Gwyll, is on the S4C option (not sure if it's still there).

I think it's quite interesting how the changes in language impact on the characters.

I think Matthias came from London, hence his "otherness". I can't remember him being less fluent in Welsh, though, because of it. The actor himself is from South East Wales and, Welsh speaking or not, sounds different to the others (to my ears, anyway), thus adding to the sense that, somehow, he's an outsider.

TreeTop7 Fri 14-Apr-17 15:37:16

Loving this. Can't wait to find out what happens with Mared's ex. He might offer to bury the Iwan Thomas case (which is looking bad for Matthias) if she introduces him to Elin? He seems devious.

It's so well-acted and atmospheric. Rather depressing though. You can't exactly imagine them all drinking cocktails and dancing to Madonna at the office Christmas party. I've never seen the Scandi stuff it often gets compared to, but I imagine the darkness/melancholy is a feature of those too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now