Talk

Advanced search

If you're an Anne of Green Gables fan have you heard about the new series?

(97 Posts)
BuntyFigglesworthSpiffington Wed 05-Apr-17 14:48:45

Written by the creators of Breaking Bad (!) so bound to be on the dark and gritty side. Coming to Netflix in May.

I think Megan Follows will always be 'my' Anne but I'll certainly give this a watch. There was a recent film version of AoGG on TV and it was really terrible, a stage school Anne-brat with false freckles. I wanted to slap her grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5qJXYNNINo

ISaySteadyOn Wed 05-Apr-17 14:56:26

Yes, Megan Follows is my Anne too but this one looks good. It may also be able to follow the books which would be great. I'd love to see someone play Miss Lavendar or Phil Blake.

MrsJackRackam Thu 06-Apr-17 20:01:04

I am ridiculously excited about this. Megan for me too, I've watched the series several times and still bawl when Matthew dies. I think I might struggle with all the characters tbh as they were all perfect in the series ❤️

Labtest7 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:54:08

You can't improve on perfection, and I will always picture Megan Follows when I think of Anne. That said, I may watch this new one just so I can compare it unfavourably to the Kevin Sullivan production.

redexpat Thu 06-Apr-17 23:15:28

exciting stuff.

squoosh Thu 06-Apr-17 23:20:34

MrsJack just thinking about Matthew dying makes my lip wobble. Richard Farnsworth played him to perfection. ❤️

And although Megan Follows is the ultimate Anne I've always wished they had filmed Anne of the Island instead of going so far off piste.

ISaySteadyOn Fri 07-Apr-17 16:48:55

I think there were plans to do so but Colleen Dewhurst (Marilla) died unexpectedly so they couldn't. But it would have been brilliant.

Muskey Fri 07-Apr-17 16:55:57

I love the Megan fellows version it was so beautifully scripted and filmed you could almost believe you were on prince Edward Island with them all. I will give the Netflix version a go. I said that about once upon a time and now I am addicted

Bea Fri 07-Apr-17 18:54:40

Jonathan Crombie as Gilbert Blythe was the most perfect casting ever... In fact the whole of the Kevin sullivan casting was perfection!... But Gilbert Blythe!?... Sigh! He could pull my pig tails any day!.... grin... And heartbroken he died so young! sad

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 07-Apr-17 19:12:38

Oh, oh oh, thank you for this, saw the film with Martin Sheen in it last week

OverAndAbove Fri 07-Apr-17 19:19:00

Oh oh oh! I'm another massive fan of Megan Followes and Jonathan Crombie (and Colleen Dewhirst!) but I'll definitely watch this. Yay!

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 07-Apr-17 19:20:33

Couldnt agree more squoosh. And I wasn't a fan of the recent film, despite adoring Sheen in everything else ever.

Megan is my one and only. And Jonathan for gorgeous Gilbert. So sad to hear he too died a couple of years ago.

Does anyone know if they made a film or a series of the Emily books? God I love those.

OverAndAbove Fri 07-Apr-17 19:25:01

Just watched the trailer and it does look beautifully filmed. Thought at first the girl sounded like the redhead in Just Add Magic, but it's not her.

The DDs are going to love this (and so am I)

CaptainWarbeck Sat 08-Apr-17 01:59:57

I love the look of this! Anne looks just right, gangly and awkward and redheaded and charismatic. With a pretty nose wink

Bue Sat 08-Apr-17 03:51:43

I'm in Canada so am watching it right now. I was sceptical but it's very good. Anne is very feisty, it's also a little darker and less romantic than the original miniseries. The casting is all around excellent. They do take some liberties with the story though!

Bea I would have said that about Jonathan Crombie too until I saw this Gilbert. He is also wonderful! Also very cute blush

Mrstwiddle Sat 08-Apr-17 03:59:52

I'm in Canada too, huge fan of the original Megan Follows series, I only watched the first episode of this one, but didnt enjoy it at all... its just not the same

Mrstwiddle Sat 08-Apr-17 04:01:32

Oh sorry, just realized I'm talking about a different aogg series thats showing over here

waitinforsuperman Sat 08-Apr-17 04:15:16

I read this thread and thought i couldn't possibly watch a new AoGG as i too love the Kevin Sullivan series.

But I've just watched the trailer you linked Bunty and have to admit it looks great. Can't wait!

lizzieoak Sat 08-Apr-17 04:37:18

CBC is plugging this a lot. It looks beautifully shot but the first trailer was a bit ott w the cheerfulness. I thought the child had had far too much espresso. But a few weeks along and the trailers are more nuanced.

Nice to see Bob Thompson in it, he's a bit of an institution here.

SofiaAmes Sat 08-Apr-17 04:43:25

Wow!!! I have read the books at least 10 times and watched the series close to that many times. I tried to read the books to my kids when they were little and they were so not impressed...the Canadians do great tv shows. I am going to try it right away.

waitinforsuperman Sat 08-Apr-17 04:47:43

Nice to see Bob Thompson in it, he's a bit of an institution here.
I just IMDBed him to see who you were referring to. Didn't recognise him.
Just occurred to me that i know very little of Canadian TV/film. Are there great series that aren't being exported? Or have they just passed me by.

waitinforsuperman Sat 08-Apr-17 04:49:15

the Canadians do great tv shows
Cross post!

SofiaAmes Sat 08-Apr-17 05:19:34

bittorrent

Strawclutching Sat 08-Apr-17 05:45:33

Love Anne of Green Gables so much my children are named after characters in it hmm. (Must reign in the obsession) But I'm all about Megan Follows. Nothing can ever compare.

Bue Sat 08-Apr-17 06:00:18

There are very few Canadian TV series that I'd consider 'great'. Or even 'good'. We do excellent children's programs but that's about it. I miss British telly. Thank god for streaming!

Ooh Straw what are their names?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now